Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roidy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Long thread alert, sorry:D

So over the weekend someone was kind enough to get me an iPod Touch 4G, not something I would of purchased myself but it was a nice gift. I love my AppleTV so the first thing I thought of was the Remote app, so I set it up no problem and away I went, now I've got a very large library of movies and TV shows so on first running it took awhile to display all the artwork, but once it had loaded it all it worked perfectly, so smooth and nice to use. So after playing around with it I tried some of the other stuff on the iPod like web browsing, apps store and so on. Later that night I came to use my ATV again and ran the Remote app and bang all my artwork poped up instantly, great.

Now next morning I switch my TV on and grab my iPod to show someone this brilliant app that displays all your ATV content so nicely, press the Remote app button and what, no artwork anymore :mad::mad: it goes through loading it all again...... So 5 minutes later all my artworks back and working fine, I go and do other things and come back an hour later and try it and it's fine all my artwork is there. About 4 hours later I sit down to watch a movie turn on the Remote app and bang my artwork is gone again, what the hell :mad::mad:

Sorry for the long post, but does anyone know why my Remote app keeps losing it's artwork? It's driving my nuts, this is such a great way to browse your library if only it didn't keep losing all my artwork.

Last edited:

SteveAbootman

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2008
I'm by no means an expert but perhaps the reason is multitasking. If you are using your phone for a lot of tasks in between when you are opening up Remote, it may need to close the app in the background in order to have enough memory/processes to run the other apps. This would give the effect of sometimes having all your artwork instantly visible, and other times having to reload everything from iTunes.

Just a thought, could be way off, in which case just disregard.

roidy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Yep, it seems it loses the artwork under 2 conditions:-

1. If you open too many apps, meaning the artwork is removed to free up memory.
2. If you kill the Remote app task by double tapping the home button.

It would be nice if the app permanently cached the artwork on the device for quicker access.

I've also been playing around with one of the XBMC remote apps and that one seems to permanently cache the artwork, with no problems

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.