PDA

View Full Version : PowerMac G5 Fans Rarely Speed Up.

poopmonkey
Jan 4, 2011, 10:48 PM
My PowerMac G5 fans hardly ever speed up. I mean they certainly never go full speed or ever close how they sometimes behave on start up. I never get the jet speed noise. Even when I am rendering a movie in FCP, I hardly hear the fans. Right now on idle, iStat pro reports CPU A being 58C and CPU B being 56C. Yet, the fans are still only 400RPM both CPUS Intake/Outake. Anyone know why this is?

OrangeSVTguy
Jan 5, 2011, 10:51 PM
That's actually running pretty cool so there is nothing to worry about.

Hrududu
Jan 5, 2011, 11:51 PM
Right now mine is encoding some video and is running about the same temp. Its fans aren't ramping up either. I think we've gotten to accustomed to laptop fans going crazy all the time, we forget how sophisticated the cooling of a G5 is. Its got 9 fans, so they don't have to be going full blast all the time. Unless its freezing up or shutting down, you're probably just fine.

raysfan81
Jan 6, 2011, 08:01 PM
we forget how sophisticated the cooling of a G5 is. Its got 9 fans, so they don't have to be going full blast all the time. Unless its freezing up or shutting down, you're probably just fine.
Agreed

mulo
Jan 6, 2011, 08:46 PM
On a side note rendering is not very CPU effective, playing a game etc is much more CPU effective, meaning you get more down in each cycle, so it produces a lot more heat.

Try playing diablo II or Warcraft III on it, CPU usage is about 50% but my fans are going at 900 rpm