PDA

View Full Version : I successfully jailbroke my new aTV2 (4.2.1) - Brilliant!

patent10021
Jan 5, 2011, 08:12 AM
Follow this YT jailbreaking video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EWKr7Ww_c0

If you want to use the above YT video default filenames/code make sure AppleTV2,1_4.2.1 _8C154_Custom_Restore.ipsw is correct. Watch the spaces etc. * If you get messages from the terminal such as, 'unknown directory' etc then confirm that what you copied is what ended up getting pasted into Terminal. Some text editing programs add strange formatting when pasting. This should work for you.
unzip -j /Users/USERNAME/Desktop/AppleTV2,1_4.2.1_8C154_Custom_Restore.ipsw
Firmware/dfu/iBSS.k66ap.RELEASE.dfu kernelcache.release.k66 -d /Users/USERNAME/Desktop/

Then install aTVFlash (Black) from these guys. Comes with a version of Plex that plays everything.
http://support.firecore.com/entries/313334-pre-install-requirements

This is a tethered JB which means if you unplug your aTV2 from the power source you'll have to run command #3 again. For me it's no problem because I have no reason to unplug my aTV2.

I have 4TB of blu-ray movies, Photos etc and all formats streaming wirelessly from my AEBS to flat screen TV. Including everything from the Apple store and all Apple formats of course lol

This is no joke. I'm quite proficient with OS X but by no means a "hacker". This was very easy. Took 20 minutes.

If you're scared don't worry. You can simply restore your aTV2 from iTunes.

Good luck!

Cottonsworth
Jan 5, 2011, 09:59 AM
I'm new to aTV2 and thinking about getting one. What are the positives you can do with a jailbroken one? Thanks.

patent10021
Jan 5, 2011, 10:23 AM
I'm new to aTV2 and thinking about getting one. What are the positives you can do with a jailbroken one? Thanks.uhhh how about watch any type of video file i.e. mkv (720p/1080p blu-ray), avi and access any external HDD connected to AEBS. I have 4TB of blu-ray mkv files and CD quality music. BTW Airplay from my iPhone to aTV2 is frikkin' awesome since my aTV2 audio system (same system connected to my flatscreen TV) rocks. My whole house is wireless thanks to my new AEBS and aTV2.

You need aTV Flash (Black) or Plex to watch all different formats and browse anywhere you want on your network. They are just navigation UIs like aTV/Front Row.

jcschlic
Jan 5, 2011, 10:53 AM
uhhh how about watch any type of video file i.e. mkv (720p/1080p blu-ray), avi and access any external HDD connected to AEBS. I have 4TB of blu-ray mkv files and CD quality music. BTW Airplay from my iPhone to aTV2 is frikkin' awesome since my aTV2 audio system (same system connected to my flatscreen TV) rocks. My whole house is wireless thanks to my new AEBS and aTV2.

You need aTV Flash (Black) or Plex to watch all different formats and browse anywhere you want on your network. They are just navigation UIs like aTV/Front Row.

I've tinkered with Plex on my Macbook (Black C2D) and I've found that Plex Server will not allow you to add network-attached storage media (I was only able to add local content to the Plex Server).

Separately, within the actual Plex interface, when I add my networked content manually, Plex will not find the metadata (content must be local for metadata to be scrubbed). This was my experience. Is this the same for you, particularly within the "hack" you have successfully done?

In other words, on your "hacked" aTV2, does Plex scrub and display metadata (movie poster, movie info, etc.) for media that's on your network-attached drives?

patent10021
Jan 5, 2011, 10:57 AM
I've tinkered with Plex on my Macbook (Black C2D) and I've found that Plex Server will not allow you to add network-attached storage media (I was only able to add local content to the Plex Server).

Separately, within the actual Plex interface, when I add my networked content manually, Plex will not find the metadata (content must be local for metadata to be scrubbed). This was my experience. Is this the same for you, particularly within the "hack" you have successfully done?

In other words, on your "hacked" aTV2, does Plex scrub and display metadata (movie poster, movie info, etc.) for media that's on your network-attached drives?The version of Plex that comes with aTV Flash (Black) is a special version. It's not the regular Plex. Check their web site and forum for details. Everything is there. Peace.

BlackMangoTree
Jan 5, 2011, 11:30 AM
Everything needs to be converted the quality of the video can be poor and no support for subtitles.

newagemac
Jan 5, 2011, 11:35 AM
If you reboot the ATV2 by holding down the menu+down buttons for 5 seconds, does the tethered jailbreak limitation still apply like it would if you unplugged it from the power source?

patent10021
Jan 5, 2011, 12:16 PM
Everything needs to be converted the quality of the video can be poor and no support for subtitles.

Are you trolling? Of course the video 'can' be poor. Depends on your source duh. Video can suck and it can also rock. iTunes doesn't support subs for non Apple files either.

newagemac
Jan 5, 2011, 12:39 PM
I think what he is getting at is and correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Plex transcodes on the fly to a maximum bitrate of 2 mbps. That's pretty poor when it comes to HD content regardless of the source. On a phone it looks great but on a big screen TV not so much.

patent10021
Jan 5, 2011, 05:59 PM
I think what he is getting at is and correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Plex transcodes on the fly to a maximum bitrate of 2 mbps. That's pretty poor when it comes to HD content regardless of the source. On a phone it looks great but on a big screen TV not so much.I' haven't used the regular Plex. Maybe the same I don't know.

dan-o-mac
Jan 5, 2011, 07:31 PM
Follow this YT jailbreaking video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EWKr7Ww_c0

If you copy and paste to the command line be careful because there is a spelling error with the file name in the first line and Terminal won't find your files. Double check everything.

Then install aTVFlash (Black) from these guys. Comes with a version of Plex that plays everything.
http://support.firecore.com/entries/313334-pre-install-requirements

This is a tethered JB which means if you unplug your aTV2 from the power source you'll have to run command #3 again. For me it's no problem because I have no reason to unplug my aTV2.

I have 4TB of blu-ray movies, Photos etc and all formats streaming wirelessly from my AEBS to flat screen TV. Including everything from the Apple store and all Apple formats of course lol

This is no joke. I'm quite proficient with OS X but by no means a "hacker". This was very easy. Took 20 minutes.

If you're scared don't worry. You can simply restore your aTV2 from iTunes.

Good luck!

What's the spelling error? Why not just post the correct command line.

patent10021
Jan 6, 2011, 02:50 AM
What's the spelling error? Why not just post the correct command line.I didn't post it because some people save using different file names. But if you want to use the above YT video default names make sure AppleTV2,1_4.2.1 _8C154_Custom_Restore.ipsw is correct. Watch the spaces etc. * If you get messages from the terminal such as, 'unknown directory' etc then confirm that what you copied is what ended up getting pasted into Terminal. Some text editing programs add strange formatting when pasting. This should work for you.
Firmware/dfu/iBSS.k66ap.RELEASE.dfu kernelcache.release.k66 -d /Users/USERNAME/Desktop/

patent10021
Jan 6, 2011, 03:32 AM
If you reboot the ATV2 by holding down the menu+down buttons for 5 seconds, does the tethered jailbreak limitation still apply like it would if you unplugged it from the power source?Not sure. Never need to do it.

patent10021
Jan 6, 2011, 03:45 AM
More stuff that I found out the hard way. To save you time.

[aTV2->maintenance -> manage extras] to see all the LastFM, Nita and Couch Surfer options/plugins available. Click where it says uninstalled to instal them.

Disable Apple TV updates.

Go to your Mac's security pane and check ignore infrared remote because the aTV remote will open and control your Mac's Frontrow app. Annoying as hell lol

Darth.Titan
Jan 6, 2011, 03:57 AM
Go to your Mac's security pane and check ignore infrared remote because the aTV remote will open and control your Mac's Frontrow app. Annoying as hell lol

Not if you properly pair the remote with the AppleTV it won't.

patent10021
Jan 6, 2011, 04:08 AM
Not if you properly pair the remote with the AppleTV it won't.Yeah I saw that. Was wondering what it would do lol. See, even I can jailbreak ;) Btw, had to do all of this on a Japanese OS so you should be able do it on an English OS even quicker.

.p.s. There have reports of other 3rd party apps freezing while paring remotes so that's another good reason to not use pairing. Just unpair them and turn of infrared in OS X security like I did.

dan-o-mac
Jan 6, 2011, 06:26 PM
I didn't post it because some people save using different file names. But if you want to use the above YT video default names make sure AppleTV2,1_4.2.1 _8C154_Custom_Restore.ipsw is correct. Watch the spaces etc. * If you get messages from the terminal such as, 'unknown directory' etc then confirm that what you copied is what ended up getting pasted into Terminal. Some text editing programs add strange formatting when pasting. This should work for you.

Thanks. I'm going to give this another shot tonight.

BlackMangoTree
Jan 7, 2011, 12:28 AM
Are you trolling? Of course the video 'can' be poor. Depends on your source duh. Video can suck and it can also rock. iTunes doesn't support subs for non Apple files either.

Not being able to have subs is an issue and video quality is poor no matter what source, everything is converted on the fly to pretty low resolution. Having had Plex on my ATV i do not see the point of it if i have to have a huge quality drop. I might as well convert the flies once at good quality with Handbrake ect... By the looks of it Firecore have managed to get other file types AVI MKV ect... to play natively on the ATV now thats something to look forward to when it's released.

newagemac
Jan 7, 2011, 12:41 AM
Not if you properly pair the remote with the AppleTV it won't.

Pairing the remote with the AppleTV will only prevent the AppleTV from being controlled by any other remote. In his case, he would need to pair his Mac to another remote as that will prevent the Mac from being controlled by any other remote. Or of course you can just turn off the IR on the Mac completely.

pruppert
Jan 7, 2011, 07:17 AM
Is unjailbreaking or "vanillaing" the apple tv just as straightforward as it is for the iPhone?

patent10021
Jan 7, 2011, 07:28 AM
Is unjailbreaking or "vanillaing" the apple tv just as straightforward as it is for the iPhone?Of course. Restore...boom.

newagemac
Jan 7, 2011, 07:52 AM
Is unjailbreaking or "vanillaing" the apple tv just as straightforward as it is for the iPhone?

Yeah but you'll need a micro USB cable which you may or may not already have laying around.

pruppert
Jan 7, 2011, 06:46 PM
Dudes, I'm so doing this! Sweeeeeeet! .

Thanks, OP for the post. I didn't realize how easy it was.

I'll report back when I'm done.

pruppert
Jan 8, 2011, 08:31 AM
Hmmmm. I'm less than satisfied with the results.

I cannot see a option to download the Plex client anywhere in ATV Flash, so I still can't serve avis to Apple TV which was the whole point of jailbreaking in the first place.

OP, how did you get Plex?

patent10021
Jan 8, 2011, 10:34 PM
Hmmmm. I'm less than satisfied with the results.

I cannot see a option to download the Plex client anywhere in ATV Flash, so I still can't serve avis to Apple TV which was the whole point of jailbreaking in the first place.

OP, how did you get Plex?This guy has posted a new thread just for you ;)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1076769

Flipstar
Jan 9, 2011, 12:34 AM
I had a jailbroken ATV2. ATV Flash, NitoTV and PLEX are all pretty awesome. I rebooted my ATV2 by accident, and when I redid the jailbreak, my wifi was not working.

Not sure if I'll jailbreak again, because it'll be a big pain in the ass if I have to fully jailbreak everytime the ATV2 loses power.

dino0829
Jan 9, 2011, 07:28 AM
I had a jailbroken ATV2. ATV Flash, NitoTV and PLEX are all pretty awesome. I rebooted my ATV2 by accident, and when I redid the jailbreak, my wifi was not working.

Not sure if I'll jailbreak again, because it'll be a big pain in the ass if I have to fully jailbreak everytime the ATV2 loses power.

Hey Flipstar, were you able to watch web video (i.e., CBS.com, Hulu) with Plex? Were you able to use the Plex Plug-ins?

thelairster
Jan 11, 2011, 06:10 PM
Hey I have plex running on my atv 4.2.1. Its all great and my content is stored on my airport extreme. But I can not for the life of me scrub through a show. Last 12 mins of mad men last night cut out and I could not get back to that point. Anyone have any tips?

dino0829
Jan 11, 2011, 09:19 PM
Hey I have plex running on my atv 4.2.1. Its all great and my content is stored on my airport extreme. But I can not for the life of me scrub through a show. Last 12 mins of mad men last night cut out and I could not get back to that point. Anyone have any tips?

Were you watching it via Plex, or from your iTunes library?

Please, will somebody tell me, definitively, can you watch Hulu/network TV or Plex TV plugins with the Firecore hack?

bigdaddydavidp
Jan 11, 2011, 09:49 PM
Still trying the manual tethered boot with the instructions on applevtblogr as I am on 10.5.8 and cant use seas0npass.

I am getting the now popular "unknown required load command" error when executing the ./tetheredboot command (see below) on my 10.5.8 MacBook Pro.

???? CAN ANYONE CONFIRM that this is because of 10.5.8 and that 10.6 or greater I can get the tetheredboot to execute? If so does anyone know how if I can execute the tetheredboot utility in the windows version and still send it the iBSS and kernelcache parms????

Thanks!

My terminal session shows:

deborahs-macbook-pro:~ deborah$ cp -r ~/Desktop/tethered/
AppleTV2,1_4.2.1_8C154.bundle /Applications/PwnageTool.app/Contents/
Resources/FirmwareBundles/
deborahs-macbook-pro:~ deborah$ unzip -j ~/Desktop/tethered/
AppleTV2,1_4.2.1_8C154_Custom_Restore.ipsw Firmware/dfu/
iBSS.k66ap.RELEASE.dfu kernelcache.release.k66 -d ~/Desktop/tethered/
Archive: /Users/deborah/Desktop/tethered/
AppleTV2,1_4.2.1_8C154_Custom_Restore.ipsw
inflating: /Users/deborah/Desktop/tethered/iBSS.k66ap.RELEASE.dfu
inflating: /Users/deborah/Desktop/tethered/kernelcache.release.k66
deborahs-macbook-pro:~ deborah$ cd ~/desktop/tethered
deborahs-macbook-pro:tethered deborah$ ./tetheredboot -i iBSS.k66ap.RELEASE.dfu -k kernelcache.release.k66
dyld: unknown required load command 0x80000022
Trace/BPT trap
deborahs-macbook-pro:tethered deborah$

thelairster
Jan 12, 2011, 12:00 AM
Still trying the manual tethered boot with the instructions on applevtblogr as I am on 10.5.8 and cant use seas0npass.$

You'll find the seasonpass jailbreak is using the same code as the instructions on appletvblogr. There are problems with this jailbreak and 10.5

Were you watching it via Plex, or from your iTunes library? ?

Watching it through the plex app on apple tv2, videos being decoded on my macbook pro which is taking files stored on a Hard Drive connected to my AEBS

Evgenyy
Jan 12, 2011, 03:42 AM

Please, will somebody tell me, definitively, can you watch Hulu/network TV or Plex TV plugins with the Firecore hack?

Hulu worked for me after downgrading flash player. Although Plex plugin is bundled with Firecore addons, it is not developed by Firecore. You can follow the development of Plex for ATV here (http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/20051-plex-client-for-apple-tv-2g/)

Irishman
Jan 12, 2011, 10:23 AM
uhhh how about watch any type of video file i.e. mkv (720p/1080p blu-ray), avi and access any external HDD connected to AEBS. I have 4TB of blu-ray mkv files and CD quality music. BTW Airplay from my iPhone to aTV2 is frikkin' awesome since my aTV2 audio system (same system connected to my flatscreen TV) rocks. My whole house is wireless thanks to my new AEBS and aTV2.

Are you saying that jailbreaking your ATV2 can give it 1080p playback capability?

Evgenyy
Jan 12, 2011, 12:31 PM
Are you saying that jailbreaking your ATV2 can give it 1080p playback capability?

Plex will do live transcoding of 1080p files into 720p (2Mbps) stream and play it on ATV. I think you can upgrade ffmpeg to do higher quality 5Mbps stream but it is not stable in the current version of Plex ATV plugin and you need a powerful mac to do that kind of transcoding on the fly.

Irishman
Jan 12, 2011, 12:36 PM
Plex will do live transcoding of 1080p files into 720p (2Mbps) stream and play it on ATV. I think you can upgrade ffmpeg to do higher quality 5Mbps stream but it is not stable in the current version of Plex ATV plugin and you need a powerful mac to do that kind of transcoding on the fly.

So, then no.

The only reason to JB right now is to be able to use the Plex frontend and not have to transcode my home library of DVDs and Blu-rays?

Can Plex for ATV decode lossless audio? Or does it only output DD or DTS?

Qwest905
Jan 12, 2011, 01:34 PM
boxee box is better than this

Irishman
Jan 12, 2011, 02:06 PM
boxee box is better than this

In what ways?

Qwest905
Jan 12, 2011, 02:27 PM
- no need to hack (plays every format, even zips and rars, will do the extraction itself)
- has browser support
- a great dev team that updates their device monthly..(actually listens to the forums)

Irishman
Jan 12, 2011, 02:35 PM
- no need to hack (plays every format, even zips and rars, will do the extraction itself)
- has browser support
- a great dev team that updates their device monthly..(actually listens to the forums)

Browser support in what way?

Qwest905
Jan 12, 2011, 02:57 PM
you can surf the web..it has full browser support...has flash enabled too

newagemac
Jan 12, 2011, 04:52 PM
How well does it do what is says it does though? That's often the problem with devices like these that claim to support all types of formats. You end up getting something does a lot of things sort of halfway and nothing done well. I can stream all types of formats with my PS3 and various different DLNA server software like MediaLink or PS3 Media Server. However, the experience itself did not make it worth using as my dedicated device. Audio sync issues, subtitle issues, error messages, non playing files. Same thing I'm hearing from initial Boxee users. Usually you don't find out about all these different glitches and gotchas until you actually use it.

Apparently the boxee box is full of bugs. Their latest update fixed 812 (yes you read that right) bugs and they immediately pulled it because even that update had critical bugs. :eek:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/10/boxee-box-firmware-gets-updated-pulled-still-no-netflix-and/

Maybe once it has matured a bit it might be a contender.

Qwest905
Jan 12, 2011, 04:58 PM
actually that bug was fixed the day after and is now working fine...
that's how quick they fix things

http://forums.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=25908

i've been an owner for 2 months now and i will say when i first got it, it was a little buggy but now after all the bug fixes and enhancements it has made it much more enjoyable.

i've researched all of the media streamers from the WDTV, patriot and apple TV devices and boxee was the only one that seemed like it had the most potential.

the implementation of boxee box is really easy to use and makes my technically inclined wife even able to use it.

Dapness
Jan 12, 2011, 05:16 PM
After owning an ATV (original), WD Live TV Plus, PS3 using PS3 Media Streamer, and a Mac Mini running Plex my money is definitely on the Boxee Box. You can't beat the Mac Mini with Plex which is what I'll keep in my main room but I'm thinking I'm going to grab up the Boxee Box soon. It's had a real rough start but the CEO is hell bent on getting it right. I'd still wait another month or so but it's going to be a hot piece of tech once they gets the kinks ironed out.

dino0829
Jan 12, 2011, 06:11 PM
You'll find the seasonpass jailbreak is using the same code as the instructions on appletvblogr. There are problems with this jailbreak and 10.5

Watching it through the plex app on apple tv2, videos being decoded on my macbook pro which is taking files stored on a Hard Drive connected to my AEBS

Thanks, can't wait for a full jailbreak to try this out!

Evgenyy
Jan 13, 2011, 05:34 AM
Just to let you guys know, Plex client just updated to 0.6.4 which implements scrobbling, pause/resume from where left off and plugins.

Icculus
Jan 13, 2011, 08:58 AM
any update on a non-tethered jailbreak? I would love to get plex back but not dealing with a tethered jailbreak at this time.

dino0829
Jan 13, 2011, 11:31 AM
any update on a non-tethered jailbreak? I would love to get plex back but not dealing with a tethered jailbreak at this time.

I was feeling the same way ... until I saw FireCore release their SeasonPass jailbreak today. A monkey on a barstool could do this!

http://support.firecore.com/entries/387605

fabian9
Jan 13, 2011, 11:46 AM

Yes, it works with the latest version of Plex (0.6.4) released yesterday. Don't think it's available as an update in the aTV flash (black) maintenance menu yet, but it's easy enough to install manually.

I was feeling the same way ... until I saw FireCore release their SeasonPass jailbreak today. A monkey on a barstool could do this!

http://support.firecore.com/entries/387605

I Agree with Dino, tethered boots using Seas0nPass are really simple. In general you don't have to reboot your apple TV at all either… there is no need to reboot tethered when waking up from sleep or reloading Lowtide.

newagemac
Jan 13, 2011, 12:26 PM
I still haven't seen this answered. If hold the menu+down button for 5 seconds to force a reboot of the Apple TV, does that mean I would have to connect it to my Mac again because of the untethered jailbreak? It's not a full power down so I'm not clear on it. Certainly somebody must know.

Irishman
Jan 13, 2011, 02:36 PM
you can surf the web..it has full browser support...has flash enabled too

To be honest, if I wanted that, I'd do a Mac Mini as a full-fledged HTPC and use Safari.

About Flash - what is online that I would want to make use of that is Flash-based? Especially now that HTML 5 is maturing quickly?

Flipstar
Jan 13, 2011, 05:58 PM
I still haven't seen this answered. If hold the menu+down button for 5 seconds to force a reboot of the Apple TV, does that mean I would have to connect it to my Mac again because of the untethered jailbreak? It's not a full power down so I'm not clear on it. Certainly somebody must know.

AppleTV reboot will kill the jailbreak. You can do a reboot of lowtide, without having to do the jailbreak again.

dino0829
Jan 13, 2011, 06:39 PM
Yes, it works with the latest version of Plex (0.6.4) released yesterday. Don't think it's available as an update in the aTV flash (black) maintenance menu yet, but it's easy enough to install manually.

I Agree with Dino, tethered boots using Seas0nPass are really simple. In general you don't have to reboot your apple TV at all eitherů there is no need to reboot tethered when waking up from sleep or reloading Lowtide.

Thanks man! Great to hear. Going to try it out now ...

Qwest905
Jan 13, 2011, 10:14 PM
To be honest, if I wanted that, I'd do a Mac Mini as a full-fledged HTPC and use Safari.

About Flash - what is online that I would want to make use of that is Flash-based? Especially now that HTML 5 is maturing quickly?

then spend $600+ compared to $200 on a boxee

if you are just streaming your local media than boxee will be great as it organizes all your TV shows and movies automatically.

newagemac
Jan 13, 2011, 10:59 PM
Automatically = mislabled media, errors, and very little control. No thanks I would rather use iFlicks, Subler, or iTunes to do my metadata. Do it once and be done with it forever and not have to worry about mislabeled media. And Boxee isn't integrated with iTunes, iPhoto, Aperture, Mobileme, iPods, iPhones, or iPads which is the huge elephant in the room no one wants to talk about when discussing media streamers and comparing them to the Apple TV even on a Mac forum.

Qwest905
Jan 14, 2011, 07:16 AM
why does it need to be compatible to those devices??
you choose a folder to share and then that's it....it reads the folder and organizes it on the boxee...

yes it is automatic on organizing your tv shows and movies, but you can also edit them...it pulls metadata from moviedb.org

BlackMangoTree
Jan 14, 2011, 07:43 AM
Having owned the Boxee box i personally feel its poor. I don't live in the USA so virtually every plugin is useless to me.

Playing back local media while it does play back almost everything it didn't do it well with Audio out of sync subtitle issues especially with SSA subs, Video was juddering.

Organising movies and Tv's there were so many in my collection that were incorrect and it wouldn't find the correct match.

Overall a very poor experience imo.

With the speed of todays computers and mostHD video ont he net can just re muxed the AppleTv is a far nicer user experience that works.

I wanted to change the location of my media onto another HDD, there was no wa of doing this without loosing all the metadata, that was the final straw i retuned it.

tallyho
Jan 14, 2011, 01:10 PM
why does it need to be compatible to those devices??

Well if you have an iPhone, an iPad and old iPods lying around it is great being able to watch your library of movies on any of those devices. If you initially encode to m4v using Handbrake or equivalent, you can do this with no fuss. Likewise, if you have all your photos in iPhoto or Aperture then it's great to be able to pull them up on your TV. Again, the same applies for your galleries on MobileMe.

Don't get me wrong: the Boxee box or other media solutions work well for lots of people, but for many of us, strong integration with iTunes for file management and the rest of the Apple ecosystem for playback is a huge plus, not a minus.

And metadata on Boxee or Plex is atrociously bad in my experience - particularly if, like me, you don't live in the US and so don't want American metadata for your content. Again, this is different for different people, but I hope you can see how the Boxee approach isn't good for lots of people.

Irishman
Jan 14, 2011, 02:42 PM
then spend $600+ compared to $200 on a boxee

if you are just streaming your local media than boxee will be great as it organizes all your TV shows and movies automatically.

Yes, but I can get a lot more functionality out of that $600 than simply a media server box.

I can create content, play games, etc, etc.

fabian9
Jan 15, 2011, 03:45 AM

That's a reboot, so it would require a tethered boot.

newagemac
Jan 15, 2011, 08:39 AM
Thanks everyone for clarifying that about the soft reboot.

penter
Jan 19, 2011, 10:50 PM
...and access any external HDD connected to AEBS
Does that include the built-in HDD in the Time Machine?

hitekalex
Jan 19, 2011, 11:17 PM
I don't see the point of going through all the hassle of tethered jailbreak of ATV2.

You don't need Plex when you have AirPlay. Just download the AirFlick app by Erica Sadun. AirFlick lets you stream any video (including AVI, MKV, etc) to ATV2 via AirPlay. It will transcode non-H.264 video live via VLC or AirVideo server, and send it to ATV2 as an AirPlay stream.

AirPlay pretty much killed the need to jailbreak and run homebrew ATV apps for me.

penter
Jan 19, 2011, 11:26 PM
I thought you had to jailbreak the aTV for AirFlick... o.O

sidefx
Jan 20, 2011, 05:52 AM
is there a way to airplay hulu?

milbournosphere
Jan 21, 2011, 10:45 AM
is there a way to airplay hulu?
"AirFlick offers the potential of real-time transcoding of otherwise unsupported file types into Apple TV-compatible data. It also allows you to open videos located on the Internet by pasting a URL and clicking the play button."

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/12/20/airflick-turns-macintosh-into-an-airplay-data-server/

Not sure if it would work for Hulu, but the advent of AirFlick is really making me reconsider upgrading from my current Apple TV. I have a large collection of MKVs that I currently would have to re-encode to play on my aTV. That app would really help in that regard.

cmoore49
Jan 22, 2011, 12:10 AM
Hope someone can help.
I have tried numerous times to jailbreak using seasonpass and each time I get to the end and get an error message saying can't restore because of unknown error.
I follow the directions exactly as stated on website and each stage shows up as instructions state then at the end where iTunes takes over there are about 3 steps that go very quickly and then up comes the error message.
Any thoughts?

tcador
Jan 22, 2011, 06:59 PM
Hope someone can help.
I have tried numerous times to jailbreak using seasonpass and each time I get to the end and get an error message saying can't restore because of unknown error.
I follow the directions exactly as stated on website and each stage shows up as instructions state then at the end where iTunes takes over there are about 3 steps that go very quickly and then up comes the error message.
Any thoughts?

I had this same problem and did some googling until i came across a page that said it could be related to one of the USB ports being used. I switched to another port (from left side to right side) and it worked the next time.

cmoore49
Jan 22, 2011, 07:22 PM
Thanks. I'll give it another try and let you know what happens.

cmoore49
Jan 22, 2011, 10:16 PM
Still no luck.
I think I will wait until they get an untethered jailbreak working.

dan-o-mac
Jan 22, 2011, 11:45 PM
Hope someone can help.
Any thoughts?

Which version of seas0npass are you running? I had the same problem until I ran 6.8

cmoore49
Jan 23, 2011, 09:47 AM
Just upgraded to 6.8 so I will try again today.

penter
Jan 26, 2011, 03:21 PM
Still no luck.
I think I will wait until they get an untethered jailbreak working.

Seas0nPass didn't work for me either. Why don't you try the Pwnage method?

I don't see the point of going through all the hassle of tethered jailbreak of ATV2.

You don't need Plex when you have AirPlay. Just download the AirFlick app by Erica Sadun. AirFlick lets you stream any video (including AVI, MKV, etc) to ATV2 via AirPlay. It will transcode non-H.264 video live via VLC or AirVideo server, and send it to ATV2 as an AirPlay stream.

AirPlay pretty much killed the need to jailbreak and run homebrew ATV apps for me.

I think you're right. I got Plex and NitoTV working on my aTV 2G and I gotta say, I was highly disappointed...
Don't get me wrong, Plex is great; it completely organized my video collection, by adding proper titles and cover art. It also added descriptions for every movie. However, it's still really buggy. It randomly refuses to open files, and when it finally plays something - IF it feels like it - it hogs a good portion of my processor (i'm running a 2.66 GHz Core i7)
Also, NitoTV added practically no funcionality, and it's so buggy that I had to restore the aTV, because the GUI got messed up.

AirFlick does seem like the best bet. It works very smoothly - and fast!
The processing power required on your computer's side is minimal.

cmoore49
Jan 26, 2011, 06:12 PM
It's official, I give up.
I have tried at least 20 times following exact instructions with 2 different USB micro cables and get the same results each time. Unknown error!!
I am waiting for untethered!

harpster
Jan 26, 2011, 07:49 PM
I looked at AirFlick and watched this video about it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOrn3aoc8yo&feature=player_embedded#!

This appears to have as many problems as anything else out there but more than that do you really have to go to your mac to load videos? Not sure, the YouTube video kind of implies that this is how it works and I see nothing cool about that.

I'm using the Plex app on the ATV2 and while it may have a few glitches it's GREAT! I have over 300 MKV videos on a NAS drive and it's so quick and easy to access them from ATV2 and video quality decent. I mean it's working very good for the early stages of this app which will be further improved. I wish the jailbreak wasn't needed and feel for those of you who are having problems with that because PLex on the ATV2 IS cool!

hitekalex
Jan 26, 2011, 09:40 PM
I looked at AirFlick and watched this video about it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOrn3aoc8yo&feature=player_embedded#!

This appears to have as many problems as anything else out there but more than that do you really have to go to your mac to load videos? Not sure, the YouTube video kind of implies that this is how it works and I see nothing cool about that.

Yes you have to initiate the video from the Mac. I just do it from my iPhone via remote desktop. It doesn't take any longer than navigating through Plex menus. The playback has no problems whatsoever.

penter
Jan 27, 2011, 02:42 AM
I wish the jailbreak wasn't needed and feel for those of you who are having problems with that because PLex on the ATV2 IS cool!

Do you have iStat installed? (It's a widget)
If so, could you tell me how your computer is performing when using Plex? I mean, how much of your processor gets used transcoding the video.
I ask, because mine gets used up alot, whereas with AirFlick, it pretty much doesn't.