PDA

View Full Version : 256 GB SSD on 11" Macbook AIR?

hexproject
Jan 5, 2011, 08:29 AM
256 GB SSD on 11" Macbook AIR?

any aftermarket to upgrade and confirmed it works?
the 11" is perfect for my travels...

abriwin
Jan 5, 2011, 09:12 AM
what about the price?
What about one of these for 50 quid
LaCie Rikiki 2.5" USB2.0 Portable Hard Drive, 250Gbs in the smallest package around.you wont get a 250Gb ssd for the same price. What about the hassle getting one fitted. I just recommended the 640Gb to a friend for archiving.

Quad5Ny
Jan 5, 2011, 12:02 PM
The 256GB SSD is thicker, which is why its not a option for the 11" Air.

"The 64GB and 128GB modules are only 2.2mm tall, while the double-stacked 256GB option is 3.7mm in height..." -Vlad Savov, Engadget

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/08/toshiba-rolls-out-blade-x-gale-ssd-modules-makes-macbook-air-st/

powerless
Jan 5, 2011, 01:41 PM
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Aura_Pro_Express

TUAW (http://www.tuaw.com/2011/01/05/macbook-air-ssd-upgrades-to-ship-next-week-from-owc/)

SammySlim
Jan 5, 2011, 02:25 PM
This puzzles me because the MBA doesn't use an SSD - it has memory chips on the motherboard. Not a "drive" at all. Not sure how this would actually be done without removing and replacing existing chips. For a MacBook Pro, sure, that would be great.

Perhaps I'm missing something here but I would not count on being able to make any such changes without doing violence to the motheboard and voiding the warranty as a result.

Cheers

dragon13
Jan 5, 2011, 03:08 PM
Check out this page:

ifixit question (http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/34838/Are+the+2010+MacBook+Air+13%22+and+11%22+memory+cards+interchangeable)

If you go through the answers, one guy took the 256 from a 13". From his pics, it looks like it fits. I'm not so sure how it'll last in the long run though.

Thiol
Jan 5, 2011, 05:13 PM

TUAW (http://www.tuaw.com/2011/01/05/macbook-air-ssd-upgrades-to-ship-next-week-from-owc/)

Check out this page:

ifixit question (http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/34838/Are+the+2010+MacBook+Air+13%22+and+11%22+memory+cards+interchangeable)

If you go through the answers, one guy took the 256 from a 13". From his pics, it looks like it fits. I'm not so sure how it'll last in the long run though.

Do you think the new OWC SSDs will have the same tight-fitting problems as the 256 Toshiba ones?

dragon13
Jan 5, 2011, 07:43 PM
The press release from OWC says

"...is available immediately for pre-ordering in three capacities compatible with all 11.1" and 13.3" 2010 MacBook Air models..."

so it seems like they'll fit, but I still think it'll be pretty tight.

I dunno for sure, but from the picture on the OWC website, it looks like the blade has 6 small chips per side vs. the 4 per side on the Toshiba.. so maybe it'll fit fine.

Hopefully we'll find out more soon. I'm planning on picking up an 11" and would probably want to upgrade the drive as well.

Edit: Nvmd, actually, that looks like a stock photo of an ssd...

oakie
Jan 5, 2011, 08:08 PM
This puzzles me because the MBA doesn't use an SSD - it has memory chips on the motherboard. Not a "drive" at all. Not sure how this would actually be done without removing and replacing existing chips. For a MacBook Pro, sure, that would be great.

Perhaps I'm missing something here but I would not count on being able to make any such changes without doing violence to the motheboard and voiding the warranty as a result.

Cheers

the "SSD" is built into a stick-like formfactor that fits into an mSATA slot on the mainboard, making it removable, and thus replaceable.

oakie
Jan 5, 2011, 08:09 PM
The 256GB SSD is thicker, which is why its not a option for the 11" Air.

the 11" MBAir is no thinner than the 13" version. they're both. .68" at their thickest point.

Thiol
Jan 5, 2011, 08:27 PM
the 11" MBAir is no thinner than the 13" version. they're both. .68" at their thickest point.

The logic board is arranged differently. Refer to the link in dragon13's post. There is certainly less room near the SSD on the 11" model.

oakie
Jan 5, 2011, 08:28 PM
The logic board is arranged differently. Refer to the link in dragon13's post. There is certainly less room near the SSD on the 11" model.

if you reread my post, i was addressing thickness not being the reason why it wouldnt fit. i never said anything in regard to the overall width and arrangement of the mSATA connection.

Thiol
Jan 5, 2011, 08:31 PM
if you reread my post, i was addressing thickness not being the reason why it wouldnt fit. i never said anything in regard to the overall width and arrangement of the mSATA connection.

That wasn't clear based on your wording. But you are correct too! I just didn't want people to get the idea that the same laptop thickness implied similar space inside.

Rob.G
Jan 6, 2011, 11:11 AM
There was a company called PhotoFast that was prepping a 256 gig upgrade for the MBA11 back in October. They were shipping it with a USB external enclosure to stick your existing 128 (or 64) gig chip in to use to restore your system and then have an external "drive" of sorts. Apple asked them not to make it.

I noticed on the OWC site, it's supposedly available for order, but will take nine days to ship. Good thing I don't have $600 right now or I'd be getting the 240 gig version. Still, I'd love to have that USB enclosure to put the 128 stick in.

Rob

Thiol
Jan 6, 2011, 03:37 PM
Edit: Nvmd, actually, that looks like a stock photo of an ssd...

That is actually pretty uncool. They cropped a stock SSD photo to the shape of a Toshiba blade SSD. Why don't they just show their own product?

hexproject
Jan 7, 2011, 09:50 AM
thanks. now i just have to find a nice review

neunelf
Jan 9, 2011, 10:22 PM
That is actually pretty uncool. They cropped a stock SSD photo to the shape of a Toshiba blade SSD. Why don't they just show their own product?

No smoke and mirrors here. It's their own design. I held one yesterday at CES.

adjuster
Jan 10, 2011, 12:55 PM
Wait a while. I bought a 120gb SSD from OWC last August. Price is now one-half of what it cost me. Same reduction with ram.

I do love it though. My 4-year old 15in MBP flies.

gwsat
Jan 10, 2011, 01:18 PM
The biggest problem I see with upgrading an 11 inch MBA's flash storage is that doing so would void the warranty. The new MBAs are designed so as to have no user serviceable parts, as is demonstrated by Apple's use of heretofore nonstandard Torx security screws in MBA cases.

DaveOZ
Jan 10, 2011, 02:16 PM
Well I've ordered the 320gb for my 11". I've really been amazed by the new Air and take it everywhere with me. This extra space means I can now also fit my music and photos on there and ditch the USB drive. Should ship tomorrow. :D

hexproject
Jan 10, 2011, 08:58 PM
Well I've ordered the 320gb for my 11". I've really been amazed by the new Air and take it everywhere with me. This extra space means I can now also fit my music and photos on there and ditch the USB drive. Should ship tomorrow. :D

DAVEOZ, when you get it, can you take some pictures of the install and give it a review?

I am interested too.. but gosh... $$$$$$$

iRun26.2
Jan 10, 2011, 09:06 PM

Where did you order it from? (Are you serious...a 320G drive is available for the the 11.6" MBA?!)

DaveOZ
Jan 10, 2011, 09:49 PM
Where did you order it from? (Are you serious...a 320G drive is available for the the 11.6" MBA?!)

Oh yes I'm serious.

To me this stuff is still cheap. I used to pay $30,000 for a Sun workstation that was 1/10000th the speed of the Mac Book Air.

BTW, did you read this thread at all??

DAVEOZ, when you get it, can you take some pictures of the install and give it a review?

I am interested too.. but gosh... $$$$$$$

I'll try but I'm usually too impatient to install to do reviews but I will take some pics and post here.

iRun26.2
Jan 10, 2011, 09:54 PM
Oh yes I'm serious.

To me this stuff is still cheap. I used to pay $30,000 for a Sun workstation that was 1/10000th the speed of the Mac Book Air.

Wow! Thanks for the link...that is very cool! I don't think I will be able to justify buying it but that is pretty amazing.

farmermac
Jan 10, 2011, 11:10 PM

You mean 360gb?

that's even cooler :cool:

ninethirty
Jan 12, 2011, 07:05 AM
I'm not too technical of a person, but I would love to have this in my 11inch air. A couple questions:

How do you get it in? Do you need to know how to solder this on to the logic board yourself?

I assume this completely voids the warranty?

How do you get OSX installed on it? I assume you target connect to a different computer and install onto this drive then?

Has anyone else actually done this and had success? I love my air, and I'd love more space, but not if I'm going to screw anything up.

Cheers!

Oh yes I'm serious.

MacModMachine
Jan 12, 2011, 07:07 AM
Oh yes I'm serious.

i read the whole thread, never seen a link to a 320gb....i have seen a 360gb...for 1100...which is a huge joke....

Rob.G
Jan 12, 2011, 10:08 AM
I'm not too technical of a person, but I would love to have this in my 11inch air. A couple questions:

How do you get it in? Do you need to know how to solder this on to the logic board yourself?

I assume this completely voids the warranty?

How do you get OSX installed on it? I assume you target connect to a different computer and install onto this drive then?

Has anyone else actually done this and had success? I love my air, and I'd love more space, but not if I'm going to screw anything up.

Cheers!

The SSD in the MBA isn't soldered in; it's a chip just like a memory ship. You'll have to find a tool to get the funky screws out of the case (it might be included in the kit, I would hope), then just swap the two pieces.

The MBA comes with OSX on a USB stick (8 gig) so you reinstall that way, then pull in your backup off of Time Machine, assuming you use that.

Rob

ninethirty
Jan 12, 2011, 10:47 AM
Have you done this? I'd love to do it but just a few more questions.

The disk space on the air right now is Flash memory. Is SSD the same, faster or slower?

The chips that I end up taking out... can those be repurposed somehow (USB HD, etc?)

How safe is this procedure. If I mess up my air, I'm screwed as its my only home machine now.

Cheers!

The SSD in the MBA isn't soldered in; it's a chip just like a memory ship. You'll have to find a tool to get the funky screws out of the case (it might be included in the kit, I would hope), then just swap the two pieces.

The MBA comes with OSX on a USB stick (8 gig) so you reinstall that way, then pull in your backup off of Time Machine, assuming you use that.

Rob

DaveOZ
Jan 20, 2011, 02:23 PM
I received my 360GB SSD stick from OWC this morning via FedEx.

WOW, I now have a MacBook Air 11" with 360GB and I could not be happier. I carry this thing with me everywhere and I now have my iTunes and Aperture libraries on there.

Installation took 2min with the top quality tools supplied.

The stick fits nicely in the 11" with no issues.

Boot off the USB stick that came with your Air and create a partion in DiskUtility.

I then restored from a time machine backup.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

BeyondtheTech
Jan 20, 2011, 02:26 PM
Congrats on that drive, seems deathly pricey. What about the hibernation issue that they talk about?

DaveOZ
Jan 20, 2011, 02:30 PM
Congrats on that drive, seems deathly pricey. What about the hibernation issue that they talk about?

Only just done it this hour and not experienced any problems yet. Will give it some testing over the weekend and report any issues here.

louden
Jan 20, 2011, 03:11 PM
How about running XBench and posting your disk access numbers... Just to see the diference between Apple's SSD and OWC.

Installation took 2min with the top quality tools supplied.

Wait - so you didn't ruin the screws removing them? Did you use the original screws when you assembled the MBA back together?

DaveOZ
Jan 20, 2011, 03:36 PM
No, the screw came our cleanly and I was able to re-use them.

will post Xbench results soon.

philipma1957
Jan 20, 2011, 03:46 PM
No, the screw came our cleanly and I was able to re-use them.

will post Xbench results soon.

so you could restore your machine to stock in under 5 mins. pretty nice I have to say the 240gb size for 580 is looking like the sweet spot. there is a refurb on apple refurbs for 850 so 850 and 580 is 1430 say 1500 with tax for a 240gb 11 inch machine

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC505LL/A?mco=MjA2NTk3NzA

a 13 inch with the better ssd and cpu is around 1800. but there is a size factor. an off topic question has anyone dropped in more then 4gb ram?

DaveOZ
Jan 20, 2011, 04:00 PM
:( Now I'm getting beach-ball of death on Spotlight Index. Any ideas on this?

DaveOZ
Jan 20, 2011, 05:57 PM
Seems my excitement was short lived. The drive is now dead and my Air will not boot at all. Not even using the system USB.

Works fine when I put the original drive back in.

Not happy anymore. :(

Ace134blue
Jan 20, 2011, 06:54 PM
the "SSD" is built into a stick-like formfactor that fits into an mSATA slot on the mainboard, making it removable, and thus replaceable.

Not mSata, its mini pci-e slot

happyslayer
Jan 21, 2011, 01:41 AM
Sorry to hear it.

I had a similar experience with a Runcore replacement SSD for my RevB Air. However it did last longer... to prolong my frustration. I got about 6 months of random spinning beachballs before it died completely and I had to put the old drive back in.

Hopefully, you just got a defective drive. I assume OWC will replace it for you.

Good luck! Keep us posted. Who knows, maybe next year I'll want to upgrade mine. However, 128 GB is still fine for me right now with my 11.6.

Again, Good luck.

iRun26.2
Jan 21, 2011, 08:17 AM
Sorry to hear it.

I had a similar experience with a Runcore replacement SSD for my RevB Air. However it did last longer... to prolong my frustration. I got about 6 months of random spinning beachballs before it died completely and I had to put the old drive back in.

Hopefully, you just got a defective drive. I assume OWC will replace it for you.

Good luck! Keep us posted. Who knows, maybe next year I'll want to upgrade mine. However, 128 GB is still fine for me right now with my 11.6.

Again, Good luck.

Maybe that is why the company that, very early after release, announced a 256M option for the 11.6"MBA was asked by Apple to stop advertising it. Maybe the SSDs in the MBA required special OSX software??

brendu
Jan 21, 2011, 08:41 AM
Seems my excitement was short lived. The drive is now dead and my Air will not boot at all. Not even using the system USB.

its under warranty right? you didn't just eat $1200 did you??

Photios
Jan 21, 2011, 10:20 AM

So sorry to hear this! How frustrating!!!! Keep us posted on how OWC handles it, and how long it takes to get a replacement, etc! I'm looking into the 240gb model, but not before I know that they have got these possible bugs worked out!

Thiol
Jan 21, 2011, 12:55 PM
Maybe that is why the company that, very early after release, announced a 256M option for the 11.6"MBA was asked by Apple to stop advertising it. Maybe the SSDs in the MBA required special OSX software??

Doubtful. At face value, there's no reason why any compatible SSD will not work in the Air. Apple may have optimized the firmware to play very well with OS X, but that would an improvement and not a restriction.

MacModMachine
Jan 21, 2011, 12:56 PM
Not mSata, its mini pci-e slot

ummm a little research could save you from embarrassment, its not mini pci-e in any way, not even close to that width.

while its close to msata its still 42% thinner then that form factor.

http://www.toshiba.com/taec/news/press_releases/2010/memy_10_604.jsp

rsdq
Jan 28, 2011, 02:18 PM
Would be interested if anyone has successfully up graded the HD in their 11" Air?

As my HD is getting closer to full the 240gb is looking very tempting.

Also curious how OWC customer support was for the person whose 360gb upgraded failed.

TIA

I guess I missed this thread the first time

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1087314

Would still like to hear from anyone else who tried this.

Thanks

BlackMax
Jan 28, 2011, 02:38 PM

How does the story end?

Did you call OWC and get a replacement? Did you get a refund?

I was thinking of doing the same thing (albeit only the 240gb), but now I don't think I'll make this move.

Anonymous Freak
Jan 28, 2011, 02:57 PM
ummm a little research could save you from embarrassment, its not mini pci-e in any way, not even close to that width.

while its close to msata its still 42% thinner then that form factor.

http://www.toshiba.com/taec/news/press_releases/2010/memy_10_604.jsp

Careful with your "little research" comment....

The physical connection is the same physical connection as mini PCI-e; but it is electrically SATA. So you're both kind of right.

I'm not sure which end would be harmed, if either, if you plugged a mini PCI-e card in, but it would physically plug in to the SSD port.

MacModMachine
Jan 28, 2011, 05:05 PM
Careful with your "little research" comment....

The physical connection is the same physical connection as mini PCI-e; but it is electrically SATA. So you're both kind of right.

I'm not sure which end would be harmed, if either, if you plugged a mini PCI-e card in, but it would physically plug in to the SSD port.

odd, i have a msata drive and a mini pcie ssd card, there different sizes, one will not go into another.

nateo200
Jan 28, 2011, 05:18 PM
Unless your ready to gut your MBA and get the soldering iron out Idk!

EspressoLove
Jan 28, 2011, 08:55 PM
Unless your ready to gut your MBA and get the soldering iron out Idk!

unless you FedEx yourself 3 lbs of fresh Brainium :rolleyes:

joyjang
Jul 18, 2011, 11:20 PM

What happened next?
What's proble?
Did U fix this error?
I am curious about 250 SSD in 11 air.

Neil McRae
Jul 19, 2011, 12:49 PM
What happened next?
What's proble?
Did U fix this error?

I'm using the OWC 256G and it works pretty good. the machine does run a little hotter with it though. Been running it 2 months no probs.

joyjang
Jul 19, 2011, 11:30 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; ko-kr) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks. I am going to try it with a little worry.

DaveOZ
Jul 20, 2011, 04:34 PM
What happened next?
What's proble?
Did U fix this error?

OWC sent a replacement drive and it has been working flawlessly since it arrived a few months ago. I'm very happy with the service and the drive. I would buy again.

Kevbodian
Aug 6, 2011, 05:40 AM
OWC sent a replacement drive and it has been working flawlessly since it arrived a few months ago. I'm very happy with the service and the drive. I would buy again.

Would you part with the 128 you swapped out?

edit:... wow.. joined Dec 2005 but I think this is my second post? haha... "You last visited: Dec 23, 2005 at 11:43 PM"

Techyogi
Dec 2, 2011, 07:14 AM
I have had a 240,360, and now 3 480s. Same symptoms.

I applaud owc's customer service but these drives are "bleeding edge tech" according to apple. Not one has lasted 6 months before it started to beach ball, and on the next restart never came up - grey screen, and disk utilities via the recovery USB stick didn't even see a drive. Owc tells me they have a safety feature that does this under conditions that may cause damage, but all I ever do is use this for work, close the lid to sleep, and bring it home. Repeat.

Not sure if the above is true, and if it is it's only a feature for them so they can salvage these when they're inevitably returned for rma. My use case it standard and these should be far, far more reliable than they are.

My latest drive died last night. Same issue. Two months after rma. I only found this thread researching the issue yet again. Sigh.

Caveat emptor. If I didn't need the space I'd have abandoned this months ago. So far all it's done is make me grateful for my time capsule.