Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dhelsdon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 5, 2010
Canadian Eh!
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I've got a busted iPod touch 4th gen, I tried to replace the LCD digitizer but ended up making things worse, Anywho- it's beyond repair unless salvaged for parts. I've put it all back together so it looks fine.

What do you think the chances are, of getting a replacement from apple?

I am planning to take it into the Apple store and saying it died then wouldn't charge or respond to PC connection. Do they typically replace them at no cost? I don't mind buying a new one if I get a discount depending on how much.

I know some will say it's morally wrong.

Morallities aside, could this work?

Dhelsdon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 5, 2010
Canadian Eh!
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Broke the belt where volume control connects to everything else. From the three solder points it's about a quarter inch to the left. If you look at ifixit photos (if unfamiliar to iPod internals) I don't know how this could be fixed.

Also the blue wire to the speaker(?) broke but I can solder so I'm not worried about that.

Drucifer

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
Dumb thought but wouldn't Apple somehow be able to tell that the device was opened up? If so wouldn't they refuse to help at all since it was opened and tampered with?

Dhelsdon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 5, 2010
Canadian Eh!

Possibly.. I am not aware of any such 'tripwire' or whatever. At least not from the outside, if they open it it'll be obvious it was tampered with. When I went in last I spoke to a genius who told me they don't open iPod touches in store that they send them away for any repair.

LeighAnna Jones

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2010
They don't fix them in the store, but they might open it.

My phone fell out of my pocket when I was squatting down to get something off the floor.
The display went white and everything. (Good greif! It only fell like three inches!)

We told them the phone just stopped working. (Never tell anyone how anything really happened)

And they said they could open it in the store but that would void the warranty and if they weren't able to fix it then we would be stuck with a broken phone. So we sent it away to get it fixed. It got lost in the mail in the long run and no one ever got it, but I presume that even if you it send away to the "land of fixing apple products" they would see that it was tampered with and would refuse to fix it.

If you got warranty on it the warranty is now voided because you opened it.

EDIT: Sorry. I had a blonde moment.

I see that you want a new one. WELL, they would probably require it to be extremley beyond repair, so bad even the apple fix-it dudes can't help. Then they would replace it. But they will see you messed with it. Then, no. No replacement. The only way to get a replacement is accidental damadge, (under realistic circumstances, eg. broken screen by dropping, water damadce, ect.) a fault on apple's part, or just a stange dead product. Sorry.

You can beg, though.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.