PDA

View Full Version : Former Japan bassist Mick Karn dies aged 52

iGav
Jan 5, 2011, 11:50 AM
Truly sad (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12118209), and truly one of the world's great bass players. :(

leekohler
Jan 5, 2011, 01:27 PM
That sucks. Mick Karn was amazing. He also played on a Gary Numan record as well. I believe it was Dance. Also with Peter Murphy in Dali's Car.

Silencio
Jan 5, 2011, 05:42 PM
Glad somebody posted about this. He was an amazing talent for sure, though frequently overshadowed by former bandmate David Sylvian.

He also played bass on a Kate Bush album and put out quite a few solo records. The Dalis Car record was a fascinating fiasco but Karn and Murphy were in discussions to produce a sequel this year. Unfortunately they were trying to put it together after Karn received his cancer diagnosis.

It's a shame he and Sylvian fell out and could never really work out their personal differences. The Japan "reunion" (Rain Tree Crow) in the early 90s produced some underrated material and I would have loved to hear more of it.

I was a huge Japan fan in high school, though that was in the mid-to-late 80s so I never did see the full band perform live. At least there's a lot of YouTube clips out there.

RIP Mick

DAC47
Jan 6, 2011, 11:33 AM
Sad news, :(
He was a talented and very original bass player.
The "Gentlemen Take Polaroids" album is probably his (and japan's) best work in my non expert opinion, that and the "After a fashion track" he did with Midge Ure, got that on 12" somewhere

leekohler
Jan 6, 2011, 11:46 AM
Sad news, :(
He was a talented and very original bass player.
The "Gentlemen Take Polaroids" album is probably his (and japan's) best work in my non expert opinion, that and the "After a fashion track" he did with Midge Ure, got that on 12" somewhere

Tin Drum will always be my favorite, along with Rain Tree Crow.

Silencio
Jan 7, 2011, 05:52 PM
Tin Drum will always be my favorite, along with Rain Tree Crow.

I'm going to have to go with Tin Drum, as well.

Remember Mick Karn's solo single "Buoy" with David Sylvian on vocals? That was a good jam.

leekohler
Jan 8, 2011, 10:40 PM
I'm going to have to go with Tin Drum, as well.

Remember Mick Karn's solo single "Buoy" with David Sylvian on vocals? That was a good jam.

No! I'll look that up.

Silencio
Jan 9, 2011, 07:38 PM
No! I'll look that up.

I think all the tracks on the 12" I bought are also found on Karn's "Dreams of Reason Produce Monsters" album. I'll have to dig my CDs out of deep storage and double check.