PDA

View Full Version : Samsung Series 9: Out MBA-ing the MBA?

fyrefly
Jan 5, 2011, 01:21 PM
Samsung has just released details on their "Series 9" laptops at CES.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/01/9-serieslead.jpg

It looks pretty, and it's stealing Apple's tagline of "The thinest and ligthest 13" laptop available".

But the Samsung has a couple of things up on the MBA, including:
- BACKLIT KEYBOARD
- Core i5 processor (i5-2537M running at 1.4Ghz, turbo boosting to 2.3Ghz).
- Ethernet
- HDMI

Now, I'm not saying the MBA should get Ethernet or anything soon, but I think that a return to the Backlit Keyboard and a bump to Sandy Bridge would be in order for the MBA by at least the summer.

But oh yeah, this thing is rumoured to cost $1600. About the same as a MBA ultimate.

I, for one, am happy that Apple might be getting some real competition in the "thin and light" space. More competition leads to the companies working harder for our business, and that benefits consumers. :D

More info from Engadget:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/05/samsung-9-series-laptop-unveiled-ready-to-slice-the-macbook-air/

Hellhammer
Jan 5, 2011, 01:27 PM
LOL, 0.01lb lighter :p They made that just to steal Apple's words. Anyway, it's 0.68 inch all the way while MBA is curvy, from 0.11" to 0.68". Nice to see some competition though it must be a nice laptop. Would like to hear about the battery life though

KPOM
Jan 5, 2011, 01:36 PM
LOL, 0.01lb lighter :p They made that just to steal Apple's words. Anyway, it's 0.68 inch all the way while MBA is curvy, from 0.11" to 0.68". Nice to see some competition though it must be a nice laptop. Would like to hear about the battery life though

They claim 6.5 hours. It is a pretty impressive machine, and assuming Apple is willing to go back to Intel Integrated Graphics with the new Sandy Bridge chip, basically indicates what's possible in the next upgrade to the Air.

Samsung looks like they did a nice job with this.

KnightWRX
Jan 5, 2011, 01:49 PM
Samsung says it should be around $1,600, though it isn't providing a release date right now.

They're not exactly under-cutting the MBA either.

notjustjay
Jan 5, 2011, 01:59 PM

Which is actually a nice perspective for Mac buyers. We all like to complain about the Apple tax (especially the PC zealots). It's good to see that when a competitor makes a machine that's substantially the same as a MacBook Air, the cost is also substantially the same (if even a bit higher). It means that Apple's prices aren't always so out of line after all.

However, that higher price does buy you a newer chipset and a few other features (like the backlit keyboard and more ports).

lilo777
Jan 5, 2011, 02:30 PM

Remember that this is MSRP and there is a difference between Apple's MSRP and Samsung (or anybody else to this matter) MSRP. Retail price most likely will be lower. And it it does not require Ethernet adapter.

drxcm
Jan 5, 2011, 02:34 PM
I'd take the MBA any day, that Samsung sure is ugly.

size100
Jan 5, 2011, 02:50 PM
4gb of ram standard and a much faster processor. nice.

backlit keys do nothing for me. they would be turned off.

The processor is a nice upgrade though.

Kachadurian
Jan 5, 2011, 02:52 PM
Which is actually a nice perspective for Mac buyers. We all like to complain about the Apple tax (especially the PC zealots). It's good to see that when a competitor makes a machine that's substantially the same as a MacBook Air, the cost is also substantially the same (if even a bit higher). It means that Apple's prices aren't always so out of line after all.

However, that higher price does buy you a newer chipset and a few other features (like the backlit keyboard and more ports).

but it doesn't get you MAC OS. I know there's a lot of windows users now on MBAs and MBP, but for a lot of us (me anyway) it is still largely about the OS.

And, the samsung is sort of ugly.

Tom

crazyyankeefan
Jan 5, 2011, 02:53 PM
I think we all have to agree sometimes when we purchase an Apple product, we don't spend for its performance alone. We also spend for its design and we like others to see the bright "Apple logo" when we open our laptop in a library or a coffee shop.

Samsung, as a Korean manufacturer, is known for mocking/copying/mimicking (whatever you like to call it) their product design from Sony or Apple. If you look closely at their Galaxy S phones and their integrated Android OS, you can certainly see a lot of resemble of iPhone. Same to this computer, it just looks like they mix some of the design from MBA and Sony laptops together.

Sounds Good
Jan 5, 2011, 02:54 PM
This looks good. Very good.

OceanView
Jan 5, 2011, 02:57 PM
I like the black metal (brushed aluminum?).

size100
I think we all have to agree sometimes when we purchase an Apple product, we don't spend for its performance alone. We also spend for its design and we like others to see the bright "Apple logo" when we open our laptop in a library or a coffee shop.

Samsung, as a Korean manufacturer, is known for mocking/copying/mimicking (whatever you like to call it) their product design from Sony or Apple. If you look closely at their Galaxy S phones and their integrated Android OS, you can certainly see a lot of resemble of iPhone. Same to this computer, it just looks like they mix some of the design from MBA and Sony laptops together.

I'd rather not have people see the apple logo. But we sure as heck don't pay for the performance alone. C2D laptops with 5400rpm harddrives do not go for 1200 dollars or half that, but we are willing to pay for MBPs.

Samsung can copy as much as they want in laptop design. Especially when other, apple, manufacturers refuse to put in new hardware and rely too much on their design and people that dislike windows.

Aatos.1
The Samsung 9 is a very impressive machine. Makes my new MBA look ... dated. Oh well, Apple never did care that much about using the latest processors or leading in anything other than their idea of industrial design. I'm not the least bit surprised. Kudo's to Samsung.

size100
Jan 5, 2011, 03:01 PM
Very adult looking. Has the samsung style that some may not like. More "asian" styling than most brands.

Is anything mentioned about the screen?

Hellhammer
Jan 5, 2011, 03:03 PM
You guys are forgetting that the Samsung has Intel IGP as its GPU which is worse than the 320M (the tests found in AnandTech and others were done with 850/1300MHz and 650/1300MHz parts while i5-2537M is ULV part and its IGP runs at 350/900MHz). The CPU is noticeably better though

Sounds Good
Jan 5, 2011, 03:06 PM
Full specs: 1.4GHz Intel Core i5 processor (2537M), with 3MB cache and turbo boost to 2.3GHz; 13.3-inch backlit-LED display (400 nit); 1366x768 screen resolution; 128GB sold-state drive; 4GB DDR3 memory; Intel HD GT2 integrated graphics; 3 watt (1.5W x 2) stereo speakers with 1.5 watt sub-woofer; USB 3.0; Bluetooth 3.0; 802.11b/g/n; WiMax; Windows 7 Home Premium or Professional (64-bit for both); 6.5 hours claimed battery life.

EDIT: Here's the press release (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Samsung-Introduces-New-9-bw-3891353410.html?x=0).

I like it.

Xeperu
Jan 5, 2011, 03:37 PM
My take on this from a value based perspective.

1. $1600,- THUNDERING TORNADOES, WHAT THE HELL??
2. No dedicated GPU. I'll take the 320M with the slower CPU over this any day. Also cheaper. (MBA)

Resale value.

Buy Samsung: $1600,-
Use 1 year, keep in good condition
Resale value:
$750,- to 900,-

Buy MBA 13", 128GB, 4GB: $1400,-
Resale value (before release of new rev.)
$1000,- to $1100,-

Yes people. It works this way.

gri
Jan 5, 2011, 03:42 PM
Well, that proves that a backlit keyboard would be theoretically possible in a laptop as thin as the MBA... Lets hope this is a reason for Apple to beat the competition with an update... Or with updated MBP, now in MBA form with more extras...

Sounds Good
Jan 5, 2011, 03:45 PM
Well, that proves that a backlit keyboard would be theoretically possible in a laptop as thin as the MBA...
Good point. That's a feature I wish the new MBA had.

ecib
Jan 5, 2011, 04:18 PM
Specs aside, it's beautiful looking imho.

notjustjay
Jan 5, 2011, 04:31 PM
but it doesn't get you MAC OS. I know there's a lot of windows users now on MBAs and MBP, but for a lot of us (me anyway) it is still largely about the OS.

Absolutely, but there are things about OS X that are beginning to bother me more and more (Apple's general trend of iOS-ifying it doesn't seem to help things any) and I'm beginning to comtemplate a switch back. Or at least have a Windows machine in the house again so I can work with both platforms.

But the post you replied to was primarily about cost. It's good to see that a premium Windows machine is no cheaper than a premium Apple machine.

My next computer will likely either be a 13" MBA, or something like this Samsung.

pandamonia
Jan 5, 2011, 04:51 PM

2. No dedicated GPU. I'll take the 320M with the slower CPU over this any day. Also cheaper. (MBA)

Resale value.

Resale value:
$750,- to 900,-

$1000,- to $1100,-

The 320M wont have anything on the new intel GPU trust me. The CPU will own the MBA until apple upgrade.

Also you can put OSX on a normal laptop its not hard.

drxcm
Jan 5, 2011, 04:54 PM
The 320M wont have anything on the new intel GPU trust me.

Every other thread on the topic I've read says otherwise, care to elaborate?

Maybe not hard, just illegal.

size100
Jan 5, 2011, 04:56 PM
1400 compared to 'around' 1600. Thats not to bad considering it will be discounted more. I will be adding an ethernet usb adapter and a display port adapter to that 1400 like a lot of people.

Most people would trade the GPU/CPU combo in the MBA for whats in the 9-series. Its not a 'slight' CPU upgrade. It will not match the graphics of the 320m. But will blow the 1.86ghz c2d out of the water.

Resale value of the MBA using a C2D, which will be 5+ years old when you sell, processor might not be that great. It might cause people to hesitate. Thats the problem with buying 4-year old hardware.

I think we are a being a little to optimistic about resale value of these current MBA and MBP because of the current resale value of the MBP, which hasn't had a great upgrade in a while.

Hellhammer
Jan 5, 2011, 04:57 PM

You will have to wait for Apple to use Sandy Bridge before OS X's kernel will support the new CPUs and thus this Samsung lappy. OS X has already been installed on Sandy Bridge computer but it required hacked kernel which will most likely lead to stability and other problems as it's not recommended by Hackintoshers, yet.

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/01/intels-new-sandy-bridge-and-mac-os-x.html

HLdan
Jan 5, 2011, 05:11 PM
Resale value of the MBA using a C2D, which will be 5+ years old when you sell, processor might not be that great. It might cause Geeks That Lurk Forums to hesitate. Thats the problem with buying 4-year old hardware.

I think we are a being a little to optimistic about resale value of these current MBA and MBP because of the current resale value of the MBP, which hasn't had a great upgrade in a while.

Sorry, I had to fix that. Most people that are looking for a used computer on Ebay hardly even know a Core 2 Duo Processor from Sandy Bridge or even G4 for that matter. They just want to know if runs Mac OS or Windows and how much ram is in it.

Sounds Good
Jan 5, 2011, 05:27 PM
1400 compared to 'around' 1600. Thats not to bad considering it will be discounted more. I will be adding an ethernet usb adapter and a display port adapter to that 1400 like a lot of people.
Not to mention the Samsung comes standard with 4GB ram, vs $100 extra charge on the MBA. And the Samsung has the backlit keyboard, not available on the MBA -- but wanted by many (myself included).

foiden
Jan 5, 2011, 05:30 PM
I can't wait to see if an intel GPU can beat out an Nvidia. It'll be the first time in history it has ever done that. Not that I'm saying it can't happen. I'm just waiting for the unprecedented to happen. I will mark that date.

Hellhammer
Jan 5, 2011, 05:39 PM
I can't wait to see if an intel GPU can beat out an Nvidia. It'll be the first time in history it has ever done that. Not that I'm saying it can't happen. I'm just waiting for the unprecedented to happen. I will mark that date.

Help yourself

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4084/intels-sandy-bridge-upheaval-in-the-mobile-landscape/5
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4084/intels-sandy-bridge-upheaval-in-the-mobile-landscape/6

It wins in benchmark with low graphics, mot likely because the CPU does most of the job there. Also, remember that LV and ULV chips have significantly lower clock speeds than the IGP used in those tests so if ULV CPU like the one in Samsung was tested against 320M, it would very likely be slower in all tests.

size100
Jan 5, 2011, 05:52 PM
Help yourself

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4084/intels-sandy-bridge-upheaval-in-the-mobile-landscape/5
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4084/intels-sandy-bridge-upheaval-in-the-mobile-landscape/6

It wins in benchmark with low graphics, mot likely because the CPU does most of the job there. Also, remember that LV and ULV chips have significantly lower clock speeds than the IGP used in those tests so if ULV CPU like the one in Samsung was tested against 320M, it would very likely be slower in all tests.

I think tests between the two CPUs between MBA and series-9 would be more interesting. The GPU is obviously not up to par with the 320m.

foiden
Jan 5, 2011, 05:56 PM
I see. It looks good at low settings, but once you kick up the details, it still struggles. Still sounds like intel has a way to go. So I still have to wait for it when it comes to performance with real GPU-using tests.

So, still no *better than Nvidia* from Intel yet. So I'll still wait for that day.

double329
Jan 5, 2011, 06:08 PM
I like the way it looks. I also like the look of Dell Adamo. But, I like the MBA more....

s15119
Jan 5, 2011, 07:26 PM
No release date.

Ach111es
Jan 5, 2011, 07:41 PM
the black brushed look is pretty foxy...wouldn't mind apple going back to the soft touch black like the old ones, but with metal of course. Granted that would ruin the whole aluminum black flow they have going.

bowlerman625
Jan 5, 2011, 07:42 PM
It looks interesting but I would not want it because it has Windows on it.

aCondor
Jan 5, 2011, 08:47 PM
This is BLASPHEMY! Off with his head! :eek:

almostjay
Jan 5, 2011, 09:29 PM
My (what I like to consider to be) non-biased point of view:

As a satisfied new MBA owner, who has never owned an Apple product other than an iPod by the way, I will never, ever purchase a computer based on specs without using it ever again.

I very rarely see it discussed around here, but my favorite thing about the Macbooks is the trackpad. Obviously this feature is not unique to the Air, but the awesome trackpad (size, responsiveness, gesture integration, etc.) makes using this computer so fun and easy. The trackpad on the Samsung looks bigger so maybe they are trying to emulate the Mac in this regard, but others have tried before but in my opinion they haven't come close.

I played with 20 laptops before settling on the Air, and really, for my usage (think standard MBA user profile), the trackpad seriously became the most important differentiating factor. I feel like that will sound ridiculous to a lot of people, but it really is amazing to me how much the trackpad affects the user experience, and even the most advanced Windows machines I have used feel totally clunky compared to the Macs.

The bottom line is that the numbers do not tell the story. Take this thing for a test drive before you declare the death of your new MBA!

potentpotable
Jan 5, 2011, 09:50 PM
I'm glad Samsung is pulling this off. Aesthetically, I still prefer my Air, but now it's proven that Apple was being lazy or stupid by not including simple things like a backlit keyboard.

With more competition, only good things can come. Only sadness I have about it is that my Air just got that much more obsolete.

ecib
Jan 5, 2011, 10:04 PM
...the trackpad seriously became the most important differentiating factor. I feel like that will sound ridiculous to a lot of people...

Not silly it all. It was the single biggest factor for me as well.
It's the first Mac I've owned, and the trackpad is the single biggest reason I went with a Mac over a cheaper PC laptop with better specs. It's just effortless to use.

Maven1975
Jan 5, 2011, 11:26 PM
One of the main reasons I just repurchased a 11" MacBook Air was because Apple is GREAT at servicing their products.

I just recently switched back after trying a Sony Z for 60 days. I had an issue with my keyboard and Sony's repair time was 20 days. This was not acceptable to me as I need my computer for business on a regular basis. I had my old MBP's logic board replace and it took 48 hours! And yes, you are buying OSX, and the iLife suite when purchasing a Mac. Replacing iLife is a complete hassle on PC. It can be done, but if you do it legally, prepare to be absolutely raped by Adobe.

Windows 7 is a good OS. Their live essential suite is a step in the right direction. Also, Hotmail/Live (Their MobileMe) is FREE making it even more appealing. Windows Phone 7 is also second only to iPhone. (Sorry Android Fans) Apple has some catching up to do with iOS on the iPhone as it is really starting to look dated/bland. Yes, its rock solid and works, but at the very least where is the social networking integration for contacts? I think if there were a company with integrity/customer service like Apple producing PC products, I might have a REAL hard time staying with OSX.

Another thing us long time Mac users are starting to fear is the iOS takeover. The Mac App store is launching tomorrow and will flood our systems with low powered supplement apps. Thinking of this reminds me of looking at an old mail box stuffed with nothing but junk mail. These apps will be nothing more than widgets on steroids.

Anyways, to sum it up. Samsung is known for launching products and not supporting them. If you look at all of the Galaxy S owners, you will find they are all still running 2.1 (In the US) months after 2.2 was released and all of the devices have broken GPS. This laptop is all flash, but good luck getting it serviced or receiving any type of support.

As for the Air, the 11.6 is the only one that makes sense to me. Apple is able to sell the 13" right now because their 13" MBP sucks balls. If Apple refreshes their Pro line with Pro specs, it will be very hard to pick the 13" Air over a 13" Pro.

gdeputy
Jan 5, 2011, 11:51 PM
i like it, but a weaker resolution and integrated graphics hurt. Factor the design of the MBA being better in my opinion, and I'm happy to save 200+ and go with my MBA as opposed to that. Plus I like having an OSX laptop.

and as mentioned above, honestly, the trackpad on this air is better than anything I've ever used hands down.

gonnabuyamacbsh
Jan 6, 2011, 01:24 AM
Sexy as hell. Gun metal black beats silver anyday imo.

gonnabuyamacbsh
Jan 6, 2011, 01:32 AM
Btw if the 13" air had an i5 option, how much do you think it would be?

I'm guessing $1900+

HLdan
Jan 6, 2011, 01:41 AM
So many people here are bashing on the Air because it's lack of a backlit keyboard and the Samsung has one, well, so what? What the Air offers is much better for the end user and that's software/hardware integration. No matter which flavor of Windows 7 PC's you buy you don't get software/hardware integration which leads to the usual problems from the PC world.

iCheddar
Jan 6, 2011, 01:54 AM
I know this has been hashed over time and time again, but there are SUBSTANTIAL differences between the C2D chips of 5 years ago and the chips today.

It's simply not genuine to say the MBA uses a 5 year old chip, the SKU for the chip in the MBA is maybe 1 year old...maybe.

Xil3
Jan 6, 2011, 06:17 AM
I know this has been hashed over time and time again, but there are SUBSTANTIAL differences between the C2D chips of 5 years ago and the chips today.

It's simply not genuine to say the MBA uses a 5 year old chip, the SKU for the chip in the MBA is maybe 1 year old...maybe.

Actually, the chip in the MBA was made in 2007, as per the intel site.

naujoks
Jan 6, 2011, 06:19 AM

Resale value.

Resale value:
$750,- to 900,-

$1000,- to $1100,-

Resell value: Dreamland.
I tried to sell my 11.6" MBA, which cost 999 pounds on Ebay. Was lucky to get 800 for it. It was just 2 weeks old and spotless. Good eBay account etc. Very disappointing.

Hellhammer
Jan 6, 2011, 06:25 AM
I tried to sell my 11.6" MBA, which cost 999 pounds on Ebay. Was lucky to get 800 for it. It was just 2 weeks old and spotless. Good eBay account etc. Very disappointing.

Well, the base 11" can be had for 719£ from the refurb store. Computers lose most of their value when you open the box. Would you buy a used machine for same price as new one?

I would say Macs keep their value better in the long run. You might have gotten the same 800£ if you sold it 6 months from now.

Xil3
Jan 6, 2011, 06:27 AM

I agree with you - while the resale value on macs still remains fairly high, it's doubtful that you could sell it for that much.

And one of the main things that kept me with apple was the design of the laptops (nice big touch pads mainly with multi-touch). With the release of this new Samsung laptop, they finally have a big touch pad (something pc laptops never had...).

ermir4444
Jan 6, 2011, 09:04 AM
I like the black metal (brushed aluminum?).

I believe it is Duraluminum. They mentioned it during their keynote. It's twice as hard as aluminum with the same weight. It is the sort of metal used on windows and doors. I got to admit it looks pretty good. Like the MBA's evil brother.

cleanup
Jan 6, 2011, 09:08 AM
That is a stunning laptop. And it probably runs a lot faster than an MBA on paper, but unfortunately it doesn't do Mac OS X. Which is why I purchased my MBA. If I wanted a Windows 7 laptop (I love Windows 7 by the way) and had the extra cash, then yes, I'd definitely get one of these.

I'd say the laptops are similar in the sense that they're both trying to be incredibly light, thin, mobile machines, but obviously they trump each other in very different ways. The Samsung is technically superior in nearly every way, but it is also 60% more expensive. Different strokes for different folks, so why bother arguing?

almostjay
Jan 6, 2011, 09:08 AM
I agree with you - while the resale value on macs still remains fairly high, it's doubtful that you could sell it for that much.

And one of the main things that kept me with apple was the design of the laptops (nice big touch pads mainly with multi-touch). With the release of this new Samsung laptop, they finally have a big touch pad (something pc laptops never had...).

But will it work as well as the Mac trackpad? Increasing the size is definitely a step in the right direction in my opinion, but unless it is as responsive and smooth as the Mac trackpad, the increase in size will be meaningless.

I don't know what Apple does to achieve it, but their input mechanisms across the whole spectrum of electronic devices are just better. I'm personally an Android guy, but you'll never catch me trying to argue that the touch screen on my phone works as well as the iPhone. It's the same thing with the trackpads (maybe this will change with the new Samsung), and for a user like me it renders most of the other perceived or real H/W inadequacies moot.

Xil3
Jan 6, 2011, 09:17 AM
But will it work as well as the Mac trackpad? Increasing the size is definitely a step in the right direction in my opinion, but unless it is as responsive and smooth as the Mac trackpad, the increase in size will be meaningless.

I don't know what Apple does to achieve it, but their input mechanisms across the whole spectrum of electronic devices are just better. I'm personally an Android guy, but you'll never catch me trying to argue that the touch screen on my phone works as well as the iPhone. It's the same thing with the trackpads (maybe this will change with the new Samsung), and for a user like me it renders most of the other perceived or real H/W inadequacies moot.

Yeah, I'm an Android guy too, but it's getting there. Android went a long way in a very short period of time. By the end of this year, I'm confident that Android will be just as smooth.

Regarding the trackpad, it may not be as smooth, but we'll just have to wait and see :)

superdudeo
Jan 6, 2011, 09:36 AM
Have you studied the pictures? It looks like you are restricted to clicking on the front left and right on the trackpad. There's just no way the trackpad will be as responsive, with multi gestures etc. The trackpad is also what sold a macbook to me.

aCondor
Jan 6, 2011, 09:36 AM
They fit an i5 in that thing?

aCondor
Jan 6, 2011, 09:39 AM
Apple is the King and Master of multi-touch technology. They've been working on it a long time. Samsung can't hold a finger to Apple.

Xil3
Jan 6, 2011, 09:44 AM
Apple is the King and Master of multi-touch technology. They've been working on it a long time. Samsung can't hold a finger to Apple.

Actually, they acquired a company that was working on it for a long time - it was founded by 2 engineers that started with a multi-touch keyboard, if my memory serves me right.

So, I wouldn't give them that much credit. Others will catch up soon...

Hellhammer
Jan 6, 2011, 09:49 AM
They fit an i5 in that thing?

That i5 has TDP of 17W, it should fit fine in the 11.6" MBA.

jp102235
Jan 6, 2011, 09:53 AM
Good point. That's a feature I wish the new MBA had.

an honest question:
what is the point of a backlit keyboard. touch-typing should be done without reference to the keys (you can buy blank keyboards). What advantage does the key backlight give you?

j

nateo200
Jan 6, 2011, 09:57 AM
an honest question:
what is the point of a backlit keyboard. touch-typing should be done without reference to the keys (you can buy blank keyboards). What advantage does the key backlight give you?

j
I have a MacBook pro and sometimes Ill read something in pitch black...no the screen on full brightness will not illuminate the keys even from the perfect angle and yes I am typing right now without looking at the keys. My hands wont be in the home position sometimes and ill just need to type a quick word or something and thats when the guessing game of where the g and the f and the h are is no fun...maybe Im the only one who uses my macbook in bed though..?..

size100
Jan 6, 2011, 11:58 AM
an honest question:

j

omg don't ask questions like this on this forum. There are 1000 threads on it. People say they can type but need to see the keys, for one reason or another, and the backlit keyboard is super important to them. Basically, most of them, aren't great typists. Every key on the keyboard is easy to get to with the reference of the homerow nubs or the side of the laptop IF you are a good typist. Some people never get there and will never admit it. They are apparently awesome typists that need to look at the keys and make thousand dollar decisions based on whether a keybaord lights up. Its a small thing at the very most.

Backlit keys are great for children though. As long as they eventually learn how to type.

jp102235
Jan 6, 2011, 12:03 PM
omg don't ask questions like this on this forum. There are 1000 threads on it. People say they can type but need to see the keys, for one reason or another, and the backlit keyboard is super important to them. Basically, most of them, aren't great typists. Every key on the keyboard is easy to get to with the reference of the homerow nubs or the side of the laptop IF you are a good typists. Some people never get there and will never admit it. They are apparently awesome typists that need to look at the keys and make thousand dollar decisions based on whether a keybaord lights up. Its a small thing at the very most.
ahh...
back when I was a hunt-and-peck typist I was so ashamed that I learned dvorak (on a qwerty) - so looking at the keyboard is kind of non-sensical to me. It seems an awful waste of battery and engineering to encourage consumer's bad typing habits - but hey: the customer is always right!
(if it were up to me, all keyboards would be blank)

j

KPOM
Jan 6, 2011, 12:05 PM
an honest question:

j

What's the point of putting any letters on the keys, then? Also, if it's so unimportant, then why do the Pro models have it? The point is that the MacBook Air used to have it, and now it doesn't. Now a competitor is out with a very similar product that has it.

cleric
Jan 6, 2011, 12:10 PM
Whats the standby life? Instant On is probably the best feature of the new macbook air.

size100
Jan 6, 2011, 12:13 PM
Also, if it's so unimportant, then why do the Pro models have it? .

Children, moms, old people, college girls that are better at texting than typing. A LARGE portion of the population cannot type without looking at the keys. MBA is an ultra-portable and might be aimed at a different crowd.

Putting letters are keys is easier than spending the money to put LEDs under keys. There are keyboards without letters. But the cost to put letters on keys is almost 0.

Apple could have redesigned their keyboard, added thickness, and sacrificed other things to cut the cost to add it, or do it half-assed and add a bit to the cost. But both are more of a dell thing.

entatlrg
Jan 6, 2011, 12:24 PM
ah, another company trying to copy another Apple product, lol.

I haven't seen a copy or knock off out do an original Apple product yet, this will likely go the same direction.

They'll blow it with the screen, battery life or something, they always do.

Sounds Good
Jan 6, 2011, 12:26 PM
My next computer will likely either be a 13" MBA, or something like this Samsung.
I was seriously considering getting the MBA as my very first Mac computer, but now I'm not so sure. This Samsung ZX310 is pretty tempting. I'm torn.

...now it's proven that Apple was being lazy or stupid by not including simple things like a backlit keyboard.
I agree.

an honest question:
The honest answer is that I don't know how to touch-type, and I'm too old to wanna learn at this point. The fact that Apple offers a backlit-keyboard on some of their laptops (including the old MBA, by the way) proves that some customers want this feature. The reason why they want it isn't really all that important. Count me in as one consumer that would rather have it.

bloodycape
Jan 6, 2011, 12:43 PM
Whats the standby life? Instant On is probably the best feature of the new macbook air.
You know Instant on is just a marketing term for a fast SSD, right? That most any computer with an SSD(of similar specs) would be just as instant, like say a 15in MBP, or the Series 9 Samsung listed here.

I thought kept reading that SB's IGP is suppose to be faster than the nvidia 310m, no? http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-3000.37948.0.html

size100
Jan 6, 2011, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by potentpotable
...now it's proven that Apple was being lazy or stupid by not including simple things like a backlit keyboard.

It wasn't lazy and wasn't stupid. They have to make sacrifices to put in a backlit keyboard. Is it worth extra price to you? Less battery life? Thicker? Is it worth any of these to you? If they could magically put in a backlit keyboard for no cost and no space they probably would magically stick in a bunch of other things too.

I thought kept reading that SB's IGP is suppose to be faster than the nvidia 310m, no?

No. The CPU blows the C2D out of the water though. Which will help with low resolutions.

Sounds Good
Jan 6, 2011, 12:53 PM
They have to make sacrifices to put in a backlit keyboard.
Less battery life? Thicker? Is it worth any of these to you?
The Samsung has similar battery life and similar thickness. No sacrifices.

On another note, I just found a close-up picture of the trackpad on this Samsung. Check it out:

http://common9.ziffdavisinternet.com/util_get_image/24/0,1425,i=244304&sz=1,00.jpg

deruch
Jan 6, 2011, 12:58 PM
Actually, the chip in the MBA was made in 2007, as per the intel site.

Note true, Here is when the chips in the new MacBook Airs were launched

2.13 C2D - Launchad Q1, 2009 - http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=37262
1.86 C2D - Launched Q3, 2008 - http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=36689

1.4 C2D - Launched Q3, 2008 - http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=36697
1.6 C2D - Launched Q1, 2009 - http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=37264

size100
Jan 6, 2011, 12:59 PM
The Samsung has similar battery life and similar thickness. No sacrifices.

There are always sacrifices. Its not magic. They are not the same laptop or company. If it was magic, apple would have added it to the mba to help the poor typists.

size100
Jan 6, 2011, 01:07 PM
Note true, Here is when the chips in the new MacBook Airs were launched

2.13 C2D - Launchad Q1, 2009 - http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=37262
1.86 C2D - Launched Q3, 2008 - http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=36689

1.4 C2D - Launched Q3, 2008 - http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=36697
1.6 C2D - Launched Q1, 2009 - http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=37264

It would have been correct for him to mention the architecture of the chip not the chip itself. They have made minor changes to the architecture and released new chips, but basically kept it the same for years after its initial release.

fyrefly
Jan 6, 2011, 01:25 PM
Btw if the 13" air had an i5 option, how much do you think it would be?

I'm guessing $1900+

Nah. The i5 chip the Samsung is using costs OEMs about the same (~$315) as the SL9600 2.13Ghz Chip in the Ultimate MBA. Now, it all depends on what Apple tax El Jobso wants your to pay for i5. ;)

People say they can type but need to see the keys, for one reason or another, and the backlit keyboard is super important to them. Basically, most of them, aren't great typists... They are apparently awesome typists that need to look at the keys and make thousand dollar decisions based on whether a keybaord lights up. Its a small thing at the very most.

Backlit keys are great for children though. As long as they eventually learn how to type.

Children, moms, old people, college girls that are better at texting than typing. A LARGE portion of the population cannot type without looking at the keys.

WOW. Patronizing much? And you tell the poster before you not to bring up the Bl Keyboard stuff, and then you proceed to make two posts slamming those that perfer the BL keyboard?

Just 'cause people like the backlit keyboard, and in your opinion are crap typists... that makes us all idiot college girls or children who are "better at texting then typing"?

Whether or not I'm a "good" typist ("Good" being in your mind defined as not having to look at the keyboard 100% of the time while using a computer, as far as I can tell), the fact that I have enjoyed the Backlit Keyboard as a feature of my MBA for 3+ years and am ticked that Apple removed it, shouldn't make me equivalent to a child?

Not everyone needs to be a 80 WPM typist. Some of us think before we write stuff down and don't need to only stare at the screen and type mindlessly. Why the need to constantly belittle those that want/enjoy the BL keyboard?

Apple could have redesigned their keyboard, added thickness, and sacrificed other things to cut the cost to add it, or do it half-assed and add a bit to the cost. But both are more of a dell thing.

Oh, and Apple *did* redesign the keyboard for the new MBA. They made the Top and bottom row smaller on the 11" and added the Power Button where the Eject button was, pushing all the other Fn keys out of alignment from the rest of the Mac Keyboard lineup.

They also *removed* the Backlighting, which was available on the old MBA, and is on the entire MacBook lineup (sans the white model), making it very much an "Apple" thing, not a "Dell" thing, thanks.

Whew. I feel good to get that off my chest.

Now, to bring the Thread back on track - Engadget had some more pics of the Series 9 today:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/01/samsung-ces-img2258-rm-eng.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/01/samsung-ces-img2259-rm-eng.jpg

Looks like Sammy stole the old "flip down doors" idea from Apple's older MacBook Airs... only they put the doors on BOTH sides:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/01/samsung-ces-img2256-rm-eng.jpg

gonnabuyamacbsh
Jan 6, 2011, 01:31 PM
super interested and curious in reading or watching some video reviews on this baby.

drxcm
Jan 6, 2011, 01:35 PM
So Ugly.

aCondor
Jan 6, 2011, 01:36 PM
Looks nice. I like the trackpad. It looks familiar....

size100
Jan 6, 2011, 01:38 PM
So Ugly.

It does look uglier closer up. But its not bad.

dba7dba
Jan 6, 2011, 02:26 PM
If you look at all of the Galaxy S owners, you will find they are all still running 2.1 (In the US) months after 2.2 was released ...

I hear Samsung did release 2.2 but it's the US carriers that are 'testing' 2.2 and haven't released it to the customers...

farmermac
Jan 6, 2011, 02:37 PM
Is Apple the only company able to make a clean looking laptop?

notjustjay
Jan 6, 2011, 02:54 PM
For those who are all saying it's ugly: Why?

If you take the black brushed silver, and turn it into silver aluminum, you'd be staring at a MBA.

Keyboard and trackpad look essentially the same.

What's so ugly? Is it the lack of the wedge shape?

size100
Jan 6, 2011, 03:19 PM

If you take the black brushed silver, and turn it into silver aluminum, you'd be staring at a MBA.

I can't really see what they think is ugly. Only thing that looks cheap to me is the ports and the surrounding of the ports. If I looked at it closed from the top it would look better than the mba to me.

lilo777
Jan 6, 2011, 04:30 PM
Is Apple the only company able to make a clean looking laptop?

Why does laptop need to look "clean"? It's a tool, not an accessory. It should have proper features first. Looks come second (or third, or...) Apple achieves "clean" look by excluding essential parts, like ethernet port, card reader etc. That's a bad tradeoff if you ask me. What's the benefit of "clean" look? None.

pwolfe
Jan 6, 2011, 04:34 PM
Is that a mag-safe-like power adapter on that thing?

KPOM
Jan 6, 2011, 04:37 PM
Why does laptop need to look "clean"? It's a tool, not an accessory. It should have proper features first. Looks come second (or third, or...) Apple achieves "clean" look by excluding essential parts, like ethernet port, card reader etc. That's a bad tradeoff if you ask me. What's the benefit of "clean" look? None.

Not all of us need an ethernet port. Plus the 13" does come with a card reader now. Anyway, Apple is known for minimalist designs. Other manufacturers often take a "check the box" approach where they cram in features for the sake of cramming them in. Samsung, to its credit, does not appear to be doing that with this notebook.

Apple understands that people are fashion conscious. A "clean" look on a notebook does the same thing as an understated look on clothing. It looks nice, which people like.

farmermac
Jan 6, 2011, 04:41 PM

Not really. Apple could add those ports and still maintain a good clean look. They are available on other models and the laptops still look good.

Look at that Samsung laptop from the side and tell me it looks good. The ports and the weird angle steel frame looks like crap. Maybe im just spoiled by a single color, flat, matte texture unibody enclosure.

Hellhammer
Jan 6, 2011, 04:42 PM
Who really uses an Ethernet port with a laptop nowadays? Doesn't it kinda kill the idea of an ultra-portable to use Ethernet instead of WiFi? Sure, it's nice for file transfers but that's all.

I do prefer the cleaner look instead of a port that I will never use. If it had to be something, then make it FireWire 800 instead of Ethernet.

lilo777
Jan 6, 2011, 04:45 PM
Who really uses an Ethernet port with a laptop nowadays? Doesn't it kinda kill the idea of an ultra-portable to use Ethernet instead of WiFi? Sure, it's nice for file transfers but that's all.

I do prefer the cleaner look instead of a port that I will never use. If it had to be something, then make it FireWire 800 instead of Ethernet.

File transfer. Then there are hotels with wired-only internet. And you will obviously never use that clean look :)

Hellhammer
Jan 6, 2011, 04:59 PM
File transfer. Then there are hotels with wired-only internet. And you will obviously never use that clean look :)

I can already do both via USB (though Gigabit Ethernet would likely be faster) so it's something that at least I don't need. USB to Ethernet adapter doesn't cost much if you really need to use wired connection.

I use the clean look everytime my eyes send a signal of the clean looking MBA to my brains ;)

http://huevosfritosconpatatas.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/macbook-aircraft.jpg

jamesryanbell
Jan 6, 2011, 05:11 PM
LOL @ the AirCraft picture!!!

size100
Jan 6, 2011, 05:30 PM

school/dorms

KnightWRX
Jan 6, 2011, 05:32 PM
What's the point of putting any letters on the keys, then?

My keyboard at work has no letters or any kind of writing on any of the keys. I don't see a point to it really, just learn to type.

TheBigApple2006
Jan 6, 2011, 05:33 PM
Well, whatever this Samsung laptop is, it's not a Mac in software. Some people are tied to OSX the same way others are tied to the Windows system. Besides, it's all too rich presenting specs on paper and withholding a release date. Whatever you think about Apple, they are becoming incredibly exceptional in one thing: present the product and have it shipping the same day! The Blackberry Playbook and now this Samsung semi-vaporware are examples of how the competition is simply unable to merge theory with practice as handsomely as Apple does...

DarwinOSX
Jan 6, 2011, 06:15 PM
It runs Windows and I've had enough Windows to last me a lifetime.
Its currently vaporware.
It will not be as well made as the MBA.
Very unlikely to have as good a screen.
It will not have as good a support as Apple provides.
Chicks wont dig it like the Air.
I don't care about built-in ethernet.
Backlit keyboard is nice but not necessary.
I don't care about HDMI when i can use a Mini DP cable or adapter but it doesn't hurt.
Sandy Bridge was not available when the Air shipped and is barely available now.

Meh. Predictable there would be imitators.

DarwinOSX
Jan 6, 2011, 06:18 PM

People travel without a pocket wi-fi router?

size100
Jan 6, 2011, 06:19 PM
It runs Windows and I've had enough Windows to last me a lifetime.
Its currently vaporware.
It will not have as good a support as Apple provides.
I don't care about built-in ethernet.
I don't care about HDMI when i can use a Mini DP cable or adapter but it doesn't hurt.
Sandy Bridge was not available when the Air shipped and is barely available now.

Meh. Predictable there would be imitators.

I agree, the screen will probably be crap. Thats huge.
Ethernet costs 30 dollars on MBA. So do display-port adapters. Its annoying.

CPU upgrade, while it wasn't out when MBA was, it is a huge upgrade. Its probably the biggest advantage this thing has over MBA. It should smash the MBA for any sort of CPU intensive tasks.

DarwinOSX
Jan 6, 2011, 06:22 PM
You expected to sell it for what you paid for it? Thats not realistic. Any PC laptop would have been half what you paid for it.

DarwinOSX
Jan 6, 2011, 06:24 PM
It is annoying but there are plenty of cables for Mini DP to HDMI or whatever now which is a cleaner way to do it without an adaptor. $5 to $10 for such a cable and adapters can be had for $20.

All MBA should come with 4GB standard btw. Silly they don't.

The MA speed has to do with a lot of things not just proc so i wouldn't jump to too many conclusions just yet on how fast the Samsung will be.

I agree, the screen will probably be crap. Thats huge.
Ethernet costs 30 dollars on MBA. So do display-port adapters. Its annoying.

CPU upgrade, while it wasn't out when MBA was, it is a huge upgrade. Its probably the biggest advantage this thing has over MBA. It should smash the MBA for any sort of CPU intensive tasks.

size100
Jan 6, 2011, 06:30 PM
Having 4gb standard in MBA would eliminate so many threads on this forum.

We can assume the SSD in the samsung will be near the SSD in the MBA considering the way things are going with SSDs now.

I was specifically saying CPU intensive tasks. Basically we are waiting on the CPU/HD most of the time. Once we have the information we are waiting on the CPU. Any kind of photo editing or video editing the samsung should smash teh mba.

gb1631
Jan 6, 2011, 06:34 PM
Windoze OS? No why no how! :rolleyes:

I'll stick with my MBA! :)

jp102235
Jan 6, 2011, 07:01 PM

ala: The airport express?

Sounds Good
Jan 6, 2011, 07:06 PM
People do. :)

iRun26.2
Jan 6, 2011, 08:20 PM
I can already do both via USB (though Gigabit Ethernet would likely be faster) so it's something that at least I don't need. USB to Ethernet adapter doesn't cost much if you really need to use wired connection.

I use the clean look everytime my eyes send a signal of the clean looking MBA to my brains ;)

http://huevosfritosconpatatas.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/macbook-aircraft.jpg

That was very funny! :)

gdeputy
Jan 6, 2011, 08:31 PM
It is annoying but there are plenty of cables for Mini DP to HDMI or whatever now which is a cleaner way to do it without an adaptor. $5 to $10 for such a cable and adapters can be had for $20.

All MBA should come with 4GB standard btw. Silly they don't.

The MA speed has to do with a lot of things not just proc so i wouldn't jump to too many conclusions just yet on how fast the Samsung will be.

Your right, god forbid apple gave us *GASP* choice in how much memory we wanted in our MBA's. I think apple should make 1 model and have absolutely NO customization, yeah, that sounds like a great idea!

size100
Jan 6, 2011, 10:00 PM
Your right, god forbid apple gave us *GASP* choice in how much memory we wanted in our MBA's. I think apple should make 1 model and have absolutely NO customization, yeah, that sounds like a great idea!

they could have given us a 1gb choice too!

The point is 2gb is not really a choice on a notebook anymore.

keviikev
Jan 6, 2011, 10:05 PM
I am happy with 13'' MBA ultimate with its amazing touch pad, OS, screen resolution that Samsung lacks

farmermac
Jan 6, 2011, 11:50 PM
they could have given us a 1gb choice too!

The point is 2gb is not really a choice on a notebook anymore.

2gb is fine for what, ~95% of people who do facebook/youtube/email on a small laptop like the air

size100
Jan 6, 2011, 11:52 PM
2gb is fine for what, ~95% of people who do facebook/youtube/email on a small laptop like the air

I agree, but 4gb is standard for all windows laptops. Also, there have been hundreds of millions of posts on 2gb versus 4gb and most people saying 'just get 4gb'.

Pressure
Jan 7, 2011, 05:12 AM

I don't quite think you understand how big Samsung Group is.

I am pretty sure that an substantial amount of people buy Apple products because that is what they have used or use exclusively. The majority of Apple users doesn't flash their wares at the library or coffee shops either.

It is getting pretty hard to manufacture a touch sensitive phone with a normal flat front and back without any physical buttons, that doesn't resemble an iPhone.

Xil3
Jan 7, 2011, 07:02 AM
ah, another company trying to copy another Apple product, lol.

I haven't seen a copy or knock off out do an original Apple product yet, this will likely go the same direction.

They'll blow it with the screen, battery life or something, they always do.

Are you serious? Are you that much of a fanboi that you're absolutely blind?

There were ultra slim laptops out back in like 2002, which were way too expensive and failed. Apple didn't create anything new... they are just good at marketing and the fanbois just love to eat it up.

And it seems like whenever another company tries to compete with Apple, they are automatically 'copying' them - what a load of crap. I'm actually happy that they are going to get some serious competition soon - they're getting a bit too greedy for my liking.

Xil3
Jan 7, 2011, 07:05 AM

They think it's ugly because it doesn't have an apple logo on it... damn fanbois

Sounds Good
Jan 7, 2011, 07:34 AM
There's a hands-on video on this page:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/06/samsung-series-9-hands-on-preview-video

darkplanets
Jan 7, 2011, 07:56 AM
The underclocked intel IGP is nothing to write home about, that's for sure. It's probably the only downside to this product.

As per the RAM; you can get 4GB with the MBA, just pony up the cash.

As far as I'm aware Sandy Bridge has a PCI slot for dedicated graphics; if room could be found in an ultra portable then we could be freed from the IGP...

DVD9
Jan 7, 2011, 08:05 AM
I'm actually happy that they are going to get some serious competition soon - they're getting a bit too greedy for my liking.

Straight bloodsuckers.

The reviewers are raving about the build quality.

The Samsung has the brightest screen in a laptop and the reviewers say the screen viewing angles are excellent.

Chicks will be curious because they have not seen or heard about this laptop that will receive one-hundredth the publicity that the MBA has.

No backlit keyboard is a deal breaker for me and for others. The lack of options there is what first drew me to Apple.

Not having an HDMI jack on a laptop in 2011 is actually retarded.
--

KnightWRX
Jan 7, 2011, 08:24 AM
Chicks...

Women don't dig men because of tech. If they do, they're not the kind of women you want hanging around you anyhow. Some of you guys should get it out of your heads that a MBA or this Samsung would bring you any kind of attention from the ladies.

Try the gym, eating healthy, a new wardrobe and taking a shower instead, works wonders.

Xil3
Jan 7, 2011, 08:28 AM
Not having an HDMI jack on a laptop in 2011 is actually retarded.

Yeah, Apple does that just to make you buy accessories - bloodsuckers...

When I first bought a mac it was because the PC world didn't have laptops anywhere near as nice (design wise) - my original MBP was a pleasure to use.

I was always waiting for the day though, when PCs would catch up in the laptop world - my biggest concern being the touchpad. This new Samsung seems to have everything that I wanted. Can't wait till I can have a play with it.

patrixl
Jan 7, 2011, 08:31 AM
Women don't dig men because of tech. If they do, they're not the kind of women you want hanging around you anyhow. Some of you guys should get it out of your heads that a MBA or this Samsung would bring you any kind of attention from the ladies.

Try the gym, eating healthy, a new wardrobe and taking a shower instead, works wonders.

Then again, something that gives a woman an excuse to talk to you, is never a bad idea :) :apple:

geox
Jan 7, 2011, 08:52 AM
anyone thinks when Apple will add backlit keyboard to MBA?

netdog
Jan 7, 2011, 08:56 AM
Am I the only one here who thinks that this thing is coyote-ugly?

Xil3
Jan 7, 2011, 09:19 AM

Try taking off your fanboi goggles and look at it in it's true light.

KnightWRX
Jan 7, 2011, 09:29 AM
Then again, something that gives a woman an excuse to talk to you, is never a bad idea :) :apple:

Again, if she uses tech as an excuse, not a woman you want to talk to anyhow. And if you really want to talk to women, don't wait for them, the women like confident men who approach them.

Seriously guys, buy your tech for you and go for what fills your needs rather than some illusion that Apple products will somehow get you attention. They don't, they're a dime a dozen.

Sounds Good
Jan 7, 2011, 09:33 AM
Nope. Not here. But look around at some non-biased sites (non Mac specific) and you'll find people that are lovin' this machine.

INEEDANOTEBOOK
Jan 7, 2011, 10:00 AM

Taking a shower to attract chicks? Who would go THAT far? LOL

INEEDANOTEBOOK
Jan 7, 2011, 10:23 AM
The edges are ugly IMO (see pic), and this black color looks cheap. Dark grey metal would have been better. But overall, this is a huge esthetic improvement.

netdog
Jan 7, 2011, 10:59 AM
Try taking off your fanboi goggles and look at it in it's true light.

It's got nothing to do with being a fanboi. I just find it ugly. Garish really.

HardLuckStories
Jan 7, 2011, 11:23 AM
Specwise its very nice, although I saw the video and it looks like a bit of a beefcake tbf, maybe i'm just used to the 11.6.

Nothing against win7, I use this for HTPC and on the whole I really like it, theres not a great deal to choose between the two these days.

gwsat
Jan 7, 2011, 11:24 AM
You guys are forgetting that the Samsung has Intel IGP as its GPU which is worse than the 320M (the tests found in AnandTech and others were done with 850/1300MHz and 650/1300MHz parts while i5-2537M is ULV part and its IGP runs at 350/900MHz). The CPU is noticeably better though
Thanks for the update. When I read the OP's initial post, I wondered about the Samsung's graphics. The i5 chip's built in GPU would be a deal breaker for me, although, as you noted, its CPU is commendably fast. This just goes to reinforce what we already knew, every ultra lightweight laptop is a series of compromises, stronger in some areas and weaker in others. Neither the new Samsung nor the MBA is an exception. About all we who place a premium on light weight can do is chose the machine whose mix of strengths and weaknesses we believe will give us the best user experience. For me, its the MBA but it's certainly not for everyone.

stewie1
Jan 7, 2011, 02:52 PM
The Samsung looks nice, I don't see how anyone could consider it ugly. If it had an apple logo on it the fanboys would be salivating. Samsung was very clever about designing it to look thinner than it actually is.

All I know is that I really really really want a black Macbook Air. I still consider the black Macbook to be the sharpest looking computer ever. Hope they bring that colour scheme back.

drxcm
Jan 7, 2011, 03:08 PM
The edges are ugly IMO (see pic), and this black color looks cheap. Dark grey metal would have been better. But overall, this is a huge esthetic improvement.

I agree, the silver highlighting is an unnecessary decoration which detracts from the appearance.

I think it is these kind of aspects of design that detract from a products aesthetic appeal. Apple laptop design is not ornate, not decorative, it is simple and functional.

The Samsung design is not, it is overcomplicated. The silver edge is just another part that has been added, and could easily come off / come away with a knock etc.

If Apple had a logo on this Samsung then I would feel exactly the same way. Still ugly. In fact, I don't really like the way the current MBP's look with the black screen (I think the antiglare screen with the silver bezel's look much better).

Another great looking laptop thats just come out is the new Google Chrome CR48 pilot program laptop .(http://www.google.com/chromeos/pilot-program-cr48.html)

BeyondtheTech
Jan 7, 2011, 03:33 PM
I don't know if it's been stated earlier (I'm not about to go back 6 pages)

It certainly looks decent. But, it still runs Windows and not OS X (at least not legally and knowingly efficiently yet).

HLdan
Jan 7, 2011, 03:50 PM
I don't like this machine. It looks horrible IMO and why is it that every damn manufacturer has to follow Apple's lead? Is there any reason why some company can't come up with designs that rival Apple's but don't look anything like them? Sick of these companies always playing the copy game with their so-called Apple-xxxx killers", then it ends up on MR to compete with Apple's stuff and hardly ends up successful. You never see Apple's products advertised as a Dell, Samsung, HP or Sony killer.
And as far as Windows 7??? Hell no, don't want it, don't need it, can't tolerate it. Been through hell and back, that's why I switched to the Mac OS.

gwsat
Jan 7, 2011, 03:54 PM
All I know is that I really really really want a black Macbook Air. I still consider the black Macbook to be the sharpest looking computer ever. Hope they bring that colour scheme back.
I agree that the black MB was slick looking. My son in law has one that is three years old and it still looks wonderful. I detest the white MB but I think I understand Apple's decision to replace the black MB with it. I don't know but suspect a high percentage of white MBs end up on the hands of teenaged girls who might think the black model was too macho.

Drezin
Jan 7, 2011, 04:38 PM
The Samsung looks nice, I don't see how anyone could consider it ugly. If it had an apple logo on it the fanboys would be salivating. Samsung was very clever about designing it to look thinner than it actually is.

I've been a Pc user for my whole life and only last week i got into the mac world. the samsung is ugly for me and would be even uglier if it had an apple logo. In fact, i dont like the apple logo and would remove it from my macbook air if i could.

Xil3
Jan 7, 2011, 04:44 PM
I don't like this machine. It looks horrible IMO and why is it that every damn manufacturer has to follow Apple's lead? Is there any reason why some company can't come up with designs that rival Apple's but don't look anything like them? Sick of these companies always playing the copy game with their so-called Apple-xxxx killers", then it ends up on MR to compete with Apple's stuff and hardly ends up successful. You never see Apple's products advertised as a Dell, Samsung, HP or Sony killer.
And as far as Windows 7??? Hell no, don't want it, don't need it, can't tolerate it. Been through hell and back, that's why I switched to the Mac OS.

do you honestly believe that Apple didn't get their inspiration for design from others? Like I said before, Apple wasn't the first to release a slim laptop, they are just really damn good at marketing and you hardcore fanbois just soak it up like a sponge.

patrixl
Jan 7, 2011, 06:13 PM
Again, if she uses tech as an excuse,

_I_ use anything as an excuse, from being lost to sneezing, so I can live with a woman using my small MBA or 3D phone as an excuse to talk to me.

not a woman you want to talk to anyhow. And if you really want to talk to women, don't wait for them, the women like confident men who

And sometimes it's nice when they do it, too. Why not give them an excuse to do it, since they're generally not as confident as confident men and don't just talk out of the blue.

The expression "conversation piece" exists for a reason :)

Has nothing to do with buying things to impress women, I don't buy my MBA to go "lekking" (read up on that lol) at Starbucks and wait all day long for a woman to approach me. Still, it's something to talk about, a conversation'S gotta start in some way, so why not, if it happens, I won't reject her just because she saw a small Macbook she never heard of cuz she doesn't read tech news every 2 hours lol.

Patrix.

KnightWRX
Jan 7, 2011, 07:05 PM
_I_ use anything as an excuse, from being lost to sneezing, so I can live with a woman using my small MBA or 3D phone as an excuse to talk to me.

So what you're saying is that women aren't interested in tech, they just fake it for an excuse to talk to you about it, so a MBA isn't really required, this Samsung laptop could also fit the bill... :rolleyes:

Basically, you're agreeing with me.

Pink∆Floyd
Jan 7, 2011, 07:10 PM
It looks dashing, but too bad it's a Windows machine... :(

patrixl
Jan 7, 2011, 07:18 PM
So what you're saying is that women aren't interested in tech, they just fake it for an excuse to talk to you about it, so a MBA isn't really required, this Samsung laptop could also fit the bill... :rolleyes:

Basically, you're agreeing with me.

I'm saying it's an excuse, something to start a conversation, as good as any other, and has nothing to do with being superficial, fake or anything seemingly negative about someone's personality.

Not sure if I'm agreeing with you or not since I didn't look at who said what in this thread, I just responded to some things that were said lo

Patrix.

Funkymonk
Jan 7, 2011, 07:46 PM
I think it looks really nice. Can't believe so many people think it's ugly. I'm convinced if it had an apple logo people would be dying over it right now.

Every thin laptop will remind people of the mba, doesn't mean they copied it. every company copies design elements from each other, like apple using chicklet keyboards sony. you sound like a blind fan.

comtech5
Jan 7, 2011, 09:27 PM
Specs don't mention if display is widescreen. Looking at the available resolutions, it appears that it would be. How would one get a 1280 x 720 signal from an external optical drive into this thing? Also, I don't think Samsung mentions if it is USB 3.0 capable.

HLdan
Jan 7, 2011, 09:48 PM
Every thin laptop will remind people of the mba, doesn't mean they copied it. every company copies design elements from each other, like apple using chicklet keyboards sony. you sound like a blind fan.

I never said that Apple was the originator all of their designs however when Apple comes out with a new product nobody seems to be comparing it with a competitors product, saying that Apple copied them, why is that? But when a competitor comes out with something new (in this case Samsung's new Vaporware) multiple websites and bloggers are comparing it with Apple's Macbook Air as if the Air was an original design, why is that? I'm not a blind fan, but many people like you see it only your way.

NT1440
Jan 7, 2011, 09:49 PM
It's nice looking for sure.

Still....windows.

BENJMNS
Jan 8, 2011, 12:02 AM
anyone wanna buy my mint 13" ultimate? :D

would love to move back to windows assuming same or better strength in hardware.

drxcm
Jan 8, 2011, 12:34 AM
anyone wanna buy my mint 13" ultimate? :D

would love to move back to windows assuming same or better strength in hardware.

Why not just install it on what you have?

Funkymonk
Jan 8, 2011, 02:36 AM
Just checked out a samsung ad for it on youtube. Would post it but i'm on my phone. This lappy is mighty tempting :D

Jasoco
Jan 8, 2011, 03:16 AM
Is it just me, or does it have a MagSafe (Lookalike) adapter?

Xil3
Jan 8, 2011, 05:44 AM
I never said that Apple was the originator all of their designs however when Apple comes out with a new product nobody seems to be comparing it with a competitors product, saying that Apple copied them, why is that?

They don't compare it to competing products because the only sites you read are the fanboi sites. Try reading some of the PC sites and see what they say, or even the real unbiased ones (if there are any).

As soon as the MBA came out, it was compared to an old Sony laptop that came out in 2004 (think it was the Sony VAIO X505, but may have also been an earlier model too). Anyways, this laptop was just as thin as the MBA but didn't do well because of the price tag and poor marketing.

I'm not a blind fan, but many people like you see it only your way.

That's one of the most hypocritical statements i've seen - it sounds to me like it's YOU who only sees it YOUR way.

I guess I should of expected this though - I'm arguing this on an Apple fan site. And I'm not a hater of Apple - I happen to have a MBA and love it, but that doesn't mean I'm going to overlook other products that are potentially better.

If it's going to improve my experience, I'm all for it. What I don't get is how some people can come on here and spout all this BS about everyone copying Apple - the ignorance is appalling.

hans1972
Jan 8, 2011, 05:46 AM
I was specifically saying CPU intensive tasks. Basically we are waiting on the CPU/HD most of the time. Once we have the information we are waiting on the CPU. Any kind of photo editing or video editing the samsung should smash teh mba.

For most people the network or the disk will be what slows the computer experience.

I have a Macbook Air 11" and for my most regular tasks it beats my MBP 15" and iMac 27" in performance.

stockscalper
Jan 8, 2011, 08:29 AM
Believe it when you see it actually for sale. Last year at CES all kinds of great tablets were shown and they've yet to see the light of day. It's one thing to make a mock up and another to put it into actual production.

The i5 CPU is a nice thought, but it has built in crappy Intel graphics. I recently ran some 3 D modeling on a machine at work with one of those processors and it choked on the graphics. Out of curiosity I tried the same thing on my MBA and it cut right through it. Graphics cards do make a difference and if you have crappy graphics a great CPU isn't going to make up for it.

Sounds Good
Jan 8, 2011, 08:35 AM
I have a Macbook Air 11" and for my most regular tasks it beats my MBP 15" and iMac 27" in performance.
Which tasks require you to use your MBP 15" or iMac 27"?

The i5 CPU is a nice thought, but it has built in crappy Intel graphics. I recently ran some 3 D modeling on a machine at work with one of those processors and it choked on the graphics.
Was the built in graphics on one of the new Sandy Bridge processors (like this Samsung has)? Or was it a built in graphics on an older processor?

KnightWRX
Jan 8, 2011, 08:41 AM
I'm saying it's an excuse, something to start a conversation, as good as any other, and has nothing to do with being superficial, fake or anything seemingly negative about someone's personality.

Not sure if I'm agreeing with you or not since I didn't look at who said what in this thread, I just responded to some things that were said lo

So you don't know what the conversation was about, you just interjected ? The conversation started because someone said "why buy this ? The MacBook Air brings in the chicks!" in a very "I won't ever date a girl" way.

I simply stated "The MBA doesn't draw women, and if it does, that's not the kind of women you want drawn to you".

So you do agree with me, this Samsung laptop or the MBA, it's not what's drawing women to you to hit up a conversation. It's probably more akin to your looks.

(And yes, women and men are both superficial. How do you know someone interests you before you talk to them ? You have nothing but looks to go on for that "first approach").

patrixl
Jan 8, 2011, 09:37 AM
So you don't know what the conversation was about, you just interjected ?

I've generally given up on responding to people on the internet, I just respond to the texts or ideas. Kept me out of many flamewars, though I end up getting people confused sometimes lol. I've followed the conversation, just not who said what.

So you do agree with me, this Samsung laptop or the MBA, it's not what's drawing women to you to hit up a conversation. It's probably more akin to your looks.

(And yes, women and men are both superficial. How do you know someone interests you before you talk to them ? You have nothing but looks to go on for that "first approach").

spoken like a true fellow Québecer :) It's very true though, so I guess in the end I do agree with you.. and disagree with those who say we shouldn't want chicks who talk to us because of our Macbooks/iPads/Samsungs/Androids/Bicycle/Car/etc..

So uhm, I wouldn't want a chick who wants me for this Samsung laptop, cuz I don't like the Samsung laptop! THERE! sides reconciliated. sortof. I don't know.lol

Patrix.

HLdan
Jan 8, 2011, 11:02 AM
I

spoken like a true fellow Québecer :) It's very true though, so I guess in the end I do agree with you.. and disagree with those who say we shouldn't want chicks who talk to us because of our Macbooks/iPads/Samsungs/Androids/Bicycle/Car/etc..

So uhm, I wouldn't want a chick who wants me for this Samsung laptop, cuz I don't like the Samsung laptop! THERE! sides reconciliated. sortof. I don't know.lol

Patrix.

That's really not the real conversation that goes on in these forums, there are some really unfortunate people here that say they sit in cafe's with their Macbooks (hoping and praying TBH) saying that their sexy Mac will attract the opposite sex, in this case we're talking about girls being attracted to guys. This is really sad if a person needs a pretty prop, especially something as common as a computer to attract a girl's attention. What's wrong with people coming up with their own witty conversation and approaching girls on their own? If guys need a prop, especially a computer (come on!) to get the conversation going with a female, the relationship will never last if the guy can't make it on his own merit. Talking to a girl that's interested in tech is just fine, but that's generally not what some people here are trying to accomplish. Just my opinion.

brentsg
Jan 8, 2011, 11:05 AM
Man, after owning 2 Samsung TVs that required me to regularly update the firmware just to stop audio stutters, video stutters, and random shutting itself off.. I can't imagine buying a Samsung computer.

Xil3
Jan 8, 2011, 11:10 AM
Man, after owning 2 Samsung TVs that required me to regularly update the firmware just to stop audio stutters, video stutters, and random shutting itself off.. I can't imagine buying a Samsung computer.

Fair comment, but we won't truly know until we see it in action.

Sounds Good
Jan 8, 2011, 11:14 AM
I'm very happy with my Samsung TV. So are lots and lots of other people.

HLdan
Jan 8, 2011, 11:38 AM
I'm very happy with my Samsung TV. So are lots and lots of other people.

I will agree with this, their flat screens are head of the class.

crazyyankeefan
Jan 8, 2011, 01:30 PM
I will agree with this, their flat screens are head of the class.

No, they are NOT. Sony and Sharp have better TVs.

KnightWRX
Jan 8, 2011, 01:36 PM

Sony and Samsung use the same tile provider for their LCDs(S-LCD Corporation, a joint venture they founded 50/50), as they partenered up for technology behind S-PVA.

Lord Appleseed
Jan 8, 2011, 01:38 PM
Looks pretty awesome and has awesome specs, but there is one major problem with it: It's no MAC http://i51.tinypic.com/wlx6zb.gif

Sounds Good
Jan 8, 2011, 01:44 PM
Sony DID have the best TVs in the past. Now Samsung owns that award.

Sharp? Nah.

HLdan
Jan 8, 2011, 01:48 PM
Sony DID have the best TVs in the past. Now Samsung owns that award.

Sharp? Nah.

Exactly, Sony USED to be the king of TV, not so anymore. They have one of the highest dead pixel rates. Samsung right now owns it! :)

toxic
Jan 9, 2011, 05:50 AM
bad:
-16:9, 1366x768. 16:9 is the worst AR ever used if you want to be productive, and I don't think there's such thing as a good 1366x768 display, unless some new ones came out.
-glossy interior
-drop-down ports
-weird silver lining on sides
-integrated mouse button. I always thought it was a stupid idea, but it's not a huge deal for single-button Apple laptops. the same cannot be said for Windows laptops - it's just a manufacturer blindly copying Apple. not everything Apple does is intelligent, and not everything translates to Windows.

I bet a lot of people don't find those to be big issues, though. I expect it to do at least reasonably well, provided its battery life isn't terrible. I'd consider it buyable if it were 16:10 with a non-glossy interior and separate mouse buttons.

stockscalper
Jan 9, 2011, 08:54 AM
[QUOTE=Was the built in graphics on one of the new Sandy Bridge processors (like this Samsung has)? Or was it a built in graphics on an older processor?[/QUOTE]

No, it was the current generation i5.

bloodycape
Jan 9, 2011, 04:37 PM
bad:
-16:9, 1366x768. 16:9 is the worst AR ever used if you want to be productive, and I don't think there's such thing as a good 1366x768 display, unless some new ones came out.
-glossy interior
-drop-down ports

16:9 turning out to be the industry standard and just like when laptops went 16:10 people were complaining about that one too saying how 4:3 is better and allows me to be more productive. Now many of those same people are saying 16:10 is where its at. It seems people are just complaining for the sake of it.
I would disagree with no good 1366x768 display. The discontinued Vaio TT is a good example of one. It has a 8-bit anti-coated glossy screen(looks mattish almost), with viewing angles and color that is up there with some of the best in the market at almost any size. Sadly Sony only used that panel and res combo on their business line Vaio TT(and I am told Asia only 12in Vaio G). At the time I got it was best in class for my needs and was a great replacement for my aging 12in iBook and like the portability and screen better than my 15in MBP.
The first MBA had drop down ports and no one seemed to care that much.

2IS
Jan 9, 2011, 07:00 PM
I think it's a very nice laptop with some balls to boot. I just bought a 4GB MBA a couple weeks ago (my first Mac) and while I do like it, i also wish it had more processing power. If the Samsung has a display and battery life to rival the MBA then it's certainly a contender and would IMO be a better machine overall. Anyone shunning it because it's using Windows is just being a typical fanboy. Windows 7 is actually a pretty awesome OS.

toxic
Jan 9, 2011, 07:17 PM
16:9 turning out to be the industry standard and just like when laptops went 16:10 people were complaining about that one too saying how 4:3 is better and allows me to be more productive. Now many of those same people are saying 16:10 is where its at. It seems people are just complaining for the sake of it.

I've tried using 16:9 and hated it. the same can't be said for when I went for 4:3 to 16:10. the argument for that was so you can have two windows side-by-side, and incidentally it's close to the golden ratio (1.612). going to 16:9 just cuts vertical space and has even more wasted space on the sides since nothing is that wide except movies.

perhaps I had a particularly bad impression because I've mostly used 16:9 on already tiny netbook displays, but I still think it wastes too much space on the sides.

I would disagree with no good 1366x768 display. The discontinued Vaio TT is a good example of one. It has a 8-bit anti-coated glossy screen(looks mattish almost), with viewing angles and color that is up there with some of the best in the market at almost any size. Sadly Sony only used that panel and res combo on their business line Vaio TT(and I am told Asia only 12in Vaio G). At the time I got it was best in class for my needs and was a great replacement for my aging 12in iBook and like the portability and screen better than my 15in MBP.

ok, I didn't know about that computer.

The first MBA had drop down ports and no one seemed to care that much.

I did :rolleyes:. but I guess it's not as bad as those stupid rubber/plastic caps on some laptops.

iRun26.2
Jan 9, 2011, 08:14 PM
I think it's a very nice laptop with some balls to boot. I just bought a 4GB MBA a couple weeks ago (my first Mac) and while I do like it, i also wish it had more processing power. If the Samsung has a display and battery life to rival the MBA then it's certainly a contender and would IMO be a better machine overall. Anyone shunning it because it's using Windows is just being a typical fanboy. Windows 7 is actually a pretty awesome OS.

You can not use 'X-Code' development tools for iOS devices on Window's machines. But also preferring to use the Mac OSX over Windows doesn't make someone a 'fanboy'.

HLdan
Jan 9, 2011, 08:18 PM

Just because you feel it's a "pretty awesome" OS doesn't mean that others have to share your undying sentiment for Windows. It's also pretty rude for you to call people fanboys here if they say negative things about Windows....on a Mac forum. Most people that say negative things about Windows have actually used it, most people that talk negatively about Macs most likely have never touched them. You calling Windows 7 "Pretty Awesome" and then calling others a fanboy if they don't like it makes you more of what you are calling others. :p You might as well add me to your list of people that you put labels on because I certainly don't think Windows 7 is pretty awesome, it's "OK" and it's what Windows should've been all along but pretty awesome it ain't.

2IS
Jan 9, 2011, 08:24 PM
You can not write 'X-Code' development tools for iOS devices on Window's machines. But also preferring to use the Mac OSX over Windows doesn't make someone a 'fanboy'.

Preference is fine, but I can't help but feel there is more than that going on here with few members. I've been lurking around for a while and I get the sense that if this laptop had an apple logo on it's lid a lot of people dismissing it would be all over it and it's "ugly" looks.

NT1440
Jan 9, 2011, 08:28 PM
Preference is fine, but I can't help but feel there is more than that going on here with few members. I've been lurking around for a while and I get the sense that if this laptop had an apple logo on it's lid a lot of people dismissing it would be all over it and it's "ugly" looks.

Fanboys of anything ever made exist in this world, don't let it keep you from living.

You'll no doubt come across a "Porsche is the ultimate" fanboy in your life, does it really matter at the end of the day? :confused:

2IS
Jan 9, 2011, 08:30 PM
[/B]

Just because you feel it's a "pretty awesome" OS doesn't mean that others have to share your undying sentiment for Windows. It's also pretty rude for you to call people fanboys here if they say negative things about Windows....on a Mac forum. Most people that say negative things about Windows have actually used it, most people that talk negatively about Macs most likely have never touched them. You calling Windows 7 "Pretty Awesome" and then calling others a fanboy if they don't like it makes you more of what you are calling others. :p You might as well add me to your list of people that you put labels on because I certainly don't think Windows 7 is pretty awesome, it's "OK" and it's what Windows should've been all along but pretty awesome it ain't.

Considering I use both platforms and considering was willing to spend 2x more for a MBA with weaker specs than a PC costing half as much pretty much debunks your theory that I'm a Windows fanboy. I'm just calling it as I see it, sorry if you find it rude but I stand by my statement.

NT1440
Jan 9, 2011, 08:31 PM
Anyone shunning it because it's using Windows is just being a typical fanboy. Windows 7 is actually a pretty awesome OS.

I've shunned it for just that reason. Windows 7 is definitely the best OS they've ever made, that said I just plain don't like using it anymore. Being someone that fixes computers all day, my mind has associated using windows with work.

My mac is my personal computer and my mind has associated it with relaxation.

This makes me a fanboy? Just personally not wanting to use a computer because I don't like using the OS all that much? Come on. I use virtualbox to run W7 when needed for my CS classes.

I don't have a problem with windows, I just don't want to use it, and therefore wouldn't buy a computer that has it as the main OS.

HLdan
Jan 9, 2011, 08:42 PM
Considering I use both platforms and considering was willing to spend 2x more for a MBA with weaker specs than a PC costing half as much pretty much debunks your theory that I'm a Windows fanboy. I'm just calling it as I see it, sorry if you find it rude but I stand by my statement.

You've just registered here, you've got like 7 posts so far and within that time you're dropping insults already. Not gonna win you points here. Your theory is a bit off TBH. Buying a Mac doesn't clear anyone's name of being a Windows fanboy, and I'm not calling you one because I don't like that name being called to anyone. Macs run Windows 7 natively and there are people that buy them just to run Windows, so you can still be a Windows fanboy. I was only responding to what you said so let's move back to the discussion and just drop the name calling, it's just plain rude.

KPOM
Jan 9, 2011, 09:14 PM
Buying a Mac doesn't clear anyone's name of being a Windows fanboy, and I'm not calling you one because I don't like that name being called to anyone. Macs run Windows 7 natively and there are people that buy them just to run Windows, so you can still be a Windows fanboy.

I know you can, but I'm not sure why someone would buy a Mac to run Windows 7 exclusively. There is a bit of a "Mac premium" (though nowhere near what Windows fanatics insist, as evidenced by the pricing of this Samsung, the Dell Adamo, etc.), and even if there weren't, there is the cost of purchasing a full version of Windows 7 for a new Mac, since it ships with another OS.

Macs make decent Windows PCs now, but if I were buying a PC to run Windows, or recommending one for someone doing so, I'd go with this Samsung before I'd recommend a MacBook Air.

fyrefly
Jan 9, 2011, 09:22 PM
Believe it when you see it actually for sale. Last year at CES all kinds of great tablets were shown and they've yet to see the light of day. It's one thing to make a mock up and another to put it into actual production.

While this is true, is there any proof of Samsung previously producing Vapourware?

The i5 CPU is a nice thought, but it has built in crappy Intel graphics. I recently ran some 3 D modeling on a machine at work with one of those processors and it choked on the graphics. Out of curiosity I tried the same thing on my MBA and it cut right through it. Graphics cards do make a difference and if you have crappy graphics a great CPU isn't going to make up for it.

No, it was the current generation i5.

The Sandy Bridge graphics are supposed to be a huge leap vs. the Arrandale graphics. That's one of the main features of Sandy Bridge (And the Graphics chip Turbo Boosts too).

That's not to say the SB IGP could beat the 320M (prelim benchmarks show them semi-tied) but it's a heckuva lot better than the "Intel HD Graphics" in the Arrandale packages.

I also would venture to say that most people who buy a machine like a MBA or a Samsung Series 9 are not gonna be doing hardcore 3D modelling with it. If they were, they'd be buying an Alienware laptop with an NVidia SLI or something. ;)

bad:

On top of the Vaio TT, the Current 11" MBA uses a 1366x768 panel. Do you think it sucks too?

bloodycape
Jan 9, 2011, 11:39 PM
I've tried using 16:9 and hated it. the same can't be said for when I went for 4:3 to 16:10. the argument for that was so you can have two windows side-by-side, and incidentally it's close to the golden ratio (1.612). going to 16:9 just cuts vertical space and has even more wasted space on the sides since nothing is that wide except movies.

perhaps I had a particularly bad impression because I've mostly used 16:9 on already tiny netbook displays, but I still think it wastes too much space on the sides.
I think I can go either way. The aspect ratio of my iBook was fine until I moved to the MBP, which has something about it that turns me off now. Kind of makes you wonder what the the next popular aspect ratio is going to be.

I wish Apple would offer on all their notebooks an anti-coating options. It was amazing how much more I could view in direct sunlight vs my MBP. I now kind of wish I got the matte option on my MBP at the time. I kind of got swept into the hoopla of things in store.

tim100
Jan 11, 2011, 06:23 AM
is there a trend towards smaller screen notebooks?

cnet has an article on notebooks from ces

http://ces.cnet.com/8301-32254_1-20027974-283.html?tag=TOCcarouselMain.0

ReallyBigFeet
Jan 11, 2011, 06:44 AM
Two months ago I said that the new MBA's would open up the floodgates for ultra-light competitive devices from other makers. This is a great introduction. I'd still take my 13" MBA over this because I prefer OSX to Windows. But choice is always a great thing to have. Apple has redefined and reinvigorated the netbook market.

That said, where MOST laptop designs fail miserably at the aesthetic level is when you fold them up and carry them under your arm to and from meetings. The MBA's look great being solid aluminum surfaced on both sides, without gaudy plastic bottoms covered with misshapen humps and bumps and vent covers. This Samsung looks great from the top and sides....but does anyone have a picture of the bottom? Did they take all this sex appeal and shove it onto the laptop equivalent of a cottage cheese butt?

*Edit* NVM, found a pic of the bottom of the Samsung 9:

http://notebooks.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Samsung-9-Series-Laptop-bottom.jpg

Not bad. Not as sleek as the MBA, but not bad for a Windows machine.

Sounds Good
Jan 11, 2011, 07:17 AM
is there a trend towards smaller screen notebooks
If so, I wouldn't doubt if the iPad had something to do with it.

tim100
Jan 11, 2011, 08:55 AM
If so, I wouldn't doubt if the iPad had something to do with it.

i wounder what the future holds for the macbook pro

1) will get get thinner
2) will mba and ipad eat into the 15/17 macbook pros

fyrefly
Jan 11, 2011, 03:36 PM
i wounder what the future holds for the macbook pro

1) will get get thinner
2) will mba and ipad eat into the 15/17 macbook pros

There's been lots of discussion on this on these forums.

I think they'll try and make it thinner. But the higher-clocked chipsets require more energy, which in turn requires more heat, which equals bigger laptops to dissipate that heat.

I seriously doubt the MBA and iPad will eat into 15"/17" MBPs. The 13" I can see. But for people who are gonna drop $2K+ on a laptop like the 15"/17" MBP, they're hopefully using it for something more than a MBA or iPad can handle.

Also, if Apple sticks with C2D in the MBA for a while and the MBP is refreshed with Sandy Bridge and discrete graphics, the MBPs will serve a whole different market. Mobile powerhouses, vs. the MBA as a super-portable, moderately-capable machine.

DVD9
Jan 12, 2011, 10:01 AM
[/B]

Just because you feel it's a "pretty awesome" OS doesn't mean that others have to share your undying sentiment for Windows. It's also pretty rude for you to call people fanboys here if they say negative things about Windows....on a Mac forum. Most people that say negative things about Windows have actually used it, most people that talk negatively about Macs most likely have never touched them.

Many of the Apple fanatics last use of Windows was Windows 98. That MSDOS based OS was a complete fraud. From Windows 2000 on Windows users have been using the NT kernal that was being developed and sold to businesses while the public was suffering with the MSDOS crap. The only connection between Windows 7 and Windows 98 is the prefix "Windows".

I've installed OSX on my HP desktop, even bought an nVidia 8400GS for $31 to get full graphics acceleration. I can watch movie trailers on Front Row.

Windows 7 task bar is pure genius. What is there by default is the Windows explorer next to the Start button. Everything else is open. Put the mouse arrow on anything that is open and windows open above to let me find whatever window of the open program I want. It's all there. It just works.

The OSX Dock in comparison is a complete mess. Loaded by default with just about everything installed on the system. Put your mouse arrow on a program that you do know to be open and nothing happens. It's a mess to navigate, even with a few programs in operation.

Then there is the software issue. Most bittorent clients are defective compared to their Windows versions. Similar problems crop up with other software. Complaints about the defects go unanswered. Why?

Because Apple has just 5% of the desktop operating system market.

Oh sure, there is a way around this and a way around that. The same can be said for Ubuntu though, and while OSX can read an NTFS drive like Ubuntu, it can't write to one.

Ubuntu can.

FAIL.
--