Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ferklee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2002
All right guys, come on let's talk about this.

i just got my new Dua 867Mhz.
Boot up in OSX, nicely. i'm a music producer so I don't have anything to do yet in X, so switch to OS9, and there it is. NOOOOOISY FAN, that doesn't stop.
i went back to OS X, and fater boot up fan STOPS.

Obviously called tech suppor in apple "care" :p and nobody knew anything ( not even that these new babies come with ata 100 and 66,??? what the f these people behind the phone??!!!!!)

GUYS, PLEASE, TELL ME IT'S A GENEREAL ISSUE AND THAT ITS NOT HAPPENING ONLY TO ME!! :) Try boot up in both systems and see the noisy difference!

THANX A LOT IN ADVANCE!!!

Fernando.:confused:

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Someone already talked about this earlier :D and the endless fan issue does have to do with OS 9 not supporting the new computers properly. The fan will continue to spin and spin, until it dies and needs to be replaced, whenever OS 9 is in use, as you described. The only way to work around it is to boot/use OS X.

ferklee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2002
**** **** **** AND RE **** APPLE THEN!!!!!
why the **** they don't say that in advace?
why support lughed at me when i explained the problem???
SUCKERS!!

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
First of all, clam down. Don't make yourself sound like you are giving birth. :rolleyes:

Second of all, OS 9 will NOT support computers anymore, and especially when the G5 evolves and migrates into Apple's line-up. Don't blame Apple, since they dropped OS 9 a LONG while back, and wanted to really do so since late 10.1.x. If you still need to use OS 9 but can't stand the fan, I suggest removing it and getting a powerful cooling unit. I don't have a reference for one right now, but I am sure that once you take some pain killers you can find one. :)

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
head over to the Apple.com Discussion boards for the Mirror Door Macs. Look it the Unage area. There are about a million people with the same exact problem. Strangely most of them are on the new 867 too. Lots of fan issues over there. And very few answers. Maybe this is Apple's way of keeping people out of OS 9.;) slightly off topir but have you figured out a way to install OS 9 ONLY on a new PowerMac? i'd love to know how.

ferklee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2002
thanx

thanx a lot for your reply King Cobra
Now
I can stand the noise until protools goes to OSX
but
can the FAN actually stands until that?
If I use it in OS9 all the time is it gonna burn?

in that case i dunno if i gotta goquick and exchange for an old 800mhz
:((

thanx again man, and help me out with this last q'

best regards,

f.

idkew

macrumors 68020
Re: thanx

Originally posted by ferklee

can the FAN actually stands until that?

You have 1 year for it to die (and it will be warrantee'd), so do not worry about it. If it is going to burn out from constant useage- i doubt it will take more than a year. you also could get an applecare plan and then you have 3 years.

bertinman

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
Davis, CA
Re: Re: thanx

Originally posted by idkew
you also could get an applecare plan and then you have 3 years.

hah.

>$200 for the piece of mind to have another 2 years for a fan to completely burn out.

That's funny.

I'd rather get it for the processors -- seems like they will be undergoing alot of heat from the friction inside the fan's bearings :D.

-- Bert :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.