PDA

View Full Version : Best way to convert MKV for Apple TV 2...?

PaulMoore
Jan 5, 2011, 06:59 PM
Hi there

This is maybe a question answered elsewhere but I wanted to see if anyone had any more recent suggestions.

What is the best way to convert an HD MKV file for Apple TV 2? Should I be using Handbrake? If so, is the nightly build the best? Any suggestions for settings? I want to convert the files with the best possible quality and then drop them into iTunes purely for playback on the Apple TV 2.

As an aside- should HD content I've converted have an 'HD' flag in the list of titles on the Apple TV menu (like purchased content does)?

kuwisdelu
Jan 5, 2011, 07:10 PM
If the mkv has H.264 video and AAC audio (many of them do) within the ATV2's specs, you just need to put them into an mp4 container. You can do that with something like Subler or MKVTools to remux them into an mp4/m4v without re-encoding, which takes a lot of time. If it's in H.264 video but weird audio (like ogg) you can use MKVTools to convert only the audio to AAC and pass-through the video into an mp4/m4v. For any mkv's needing re-encoding, Handbrake is usually best.

aelalfy
Jan 5, 2011, 07:10 PM
Hi there

This is maybe a question answered elsewhere but I wanted to see if anyone had any more recent suggestions.

What is the best way to convert an HD MKV file for Apple TV 2? Should I be using Handbrake? If so, is the nightly build the best? Any suggestions for settings? I want to convert the files with the best possible quality and then drop them into iTunes purely for playback on the Apple TV 2.

As an aside- should HD content I've converted have an 'HD' flag in the list of titles on the Apple TV menu (like purchased content does)?

Hi

Use iFlicks, I won't go into detail about it but it's a very nice program.

Thanks
AE

newagemac
Jan 5, 2011, 07:11 PM
Hi there

You don't have to get the nightly build anymore. They just released 0.9.5 and it has the ATV2 preset. Use that for your MKVs for some fantastic results.

PaulMoore
Jan 5, 2011, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the tips. Out of curiosity- should I expect a HD icon on the Apple TV menu?

kuwisdelu
Jan 5, 2011, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the tips. Out of curiosity- should I expect a HD icon on the Apple TV menu?

Unless you intend to have both a standard version and an HD version, you needn't worry about it. If you want to, it's a piece of metadata you can set with an app like Subler.

PaulMoore
Jan 5, 2011, 09:43 PM
OK no I will only have the HD- I didn't know whether it was a flag when iTunes 'recognized' it was HD or if it was cosmetic.

Ritsuka
Jan 7, 2011, 03:57 AM
The latest version of Subler converts audio from unsupported formats to aac. It works quite well for mkv.

simen02
Jan 7, 2011, 04:37 AM
Hi there

Apple tv 2 can handle mkv 720p with no problem. You don't have to encode again, just use mkvtools an remux to mp4, takes 1-5 min. take the mp4 file and use iflicks to tag it like itunes orginal movie.

patent10021
Jan 7, 2011, 05:55 AM
Apple tv 2 can handle mkv 720p with no problem. You don't have to encode again, just use mkvtools an remux to mp4, takes 1-5 min. take the mp4 file and use iflicks to tag it like itunes orginal movie.Hi

I used MKVTools on Conviction.mkv (4.5GB 620p file). In the track info area it listed Video #1: (h264) and Audio #1: (dts 6ch.) I used the mp4 tab and left the settings to default (video/audio passthrough). In 5 minutes on my old 2007 MacBook it spat out Conviction.mkv.a1.dts (968mb) + Conviction.mkv.v1.h264 (1.7GB). What do I do with these two files? I need to remux them into one m4v/mp4 file right? With what?

EDIT: Ah I see what I did wrong. I used the mp4 tab when I should've just used the Quick tab-> ATV option.

kuwisdelu
Jan 7, 2011, 06:05 AM
Hi

I used MKVTools on Conviction.mkv (4.5GB 620p file). In the track info area it listed Video #1: (h264) and Audio #1: (dts 6ch.) I used the mp4 tab and left the settings to default (video/audio passthrough). In 5 minutes on my old 2007 MacBook it spat out Conviction.mkv.a1.dts (968mb) + Conviction.mkv.v1.h264 (1.7GB). What do I do with these two files?

Are you sure you didn't do "Extract" under the "Edit" tab?

I'm not sure why you got those as the output, but those are the raw audio and video files that were inside the mkv. Ideally, you'd want to put the H.264 video and the audio (converted to a more iDevice-friendly codec like AC3) into an mp4. The H.264 video should be fine, but the DTS audio may be troublesome. I'm not sure if MKVTools has the capability to convert DTS audio yet. I'm not sure what does, so hopefully someone who knows can give you a better answer about the audio.

patent10021
Jan 7, 2011, 06:32 AM
Are you sure you didn't do "Extract" under the "Edit" tab?

I'm not sure why you got those as the output, but those are the raw audio and video files that were inside the mkv. Ideally, you'd want to put the H.264 video and the audio (converted to a more iDevice-friendly codec like AC3) into an mp4. The H.264 video should be fine, but the DTS audio may be troublesome. I'm not sure if MKVTools has the capability to convert DTS audio yet. I'm not sure what does, so hopefully someone who knows can give you a better answer about the audio.Nope. Was the mp4 tab. At any rate, I did it again under the Quick tab.

BlackMangoTree
Jan 7, 2011, 07:10 AM
MKVtools is by far the best apple to remux our movies. Subler you will lose surround if there is a dts track and iFlicks made movies unplayablle when the Apple TV was updated.

Stick with MKVtools, works excellent.

patent10021
Jan 7, 2011, 07:31 AM
Isn't there a way to batch conver with MKVTool? Could process a lot while I'm sleeping.

Fizzoid
Jan 7, 2011, 07:37 AM
Doesn't the full version allow that? It's only $4.99

patent10021
Jan 7, 2011, 07:42 AM
Doesn't the full version allow that? It's only $4.99I'll try it. I have the full version but didn't see any batch area. This does take longer than I thought thought. My single 4.5GB mkv took about 30 minutes on my 2007 Macbook. Hopefully no more than 10 minutes when I get my iMac. All done automatically but still. I have about 2TB of mkv files. That's why I JB'd. I'm testing this MKVTools method to see what is worth it for me. Also my Japanese anime mkv files have hard coded subs so I'll have to see if MKVTools keeps those.

EDIT: So I ended up with a 3.85GB m4v file and aTV doesn't recognize it in my movies folder. I thought it was supposed to end up a mp4 file?

Fizzoid
Jan 7, 2011, 07:48 AM
Taken from the MKV Tools website
The Queue Drawer

1. The Queue Drawer opens to display any completed, running or queued processes. It also shows the progress of the current job.
2. If you have registered MKVtools, then you can add more than one process to the queue at a time. Or you can add files to the queue in batches if you've dragged multiple files to MKVtools. So you can load the queue and then let MKVtools run all night, Jobs will be handled in the order that they are entered in the queue.
3. You can delete individual processes in the Queue Drawer by selecting the X button for a particular process.
4. Click on Clear to delete all completed processes from the Queue Drawer.
5. You can click on the Pause/Restart button to pause the processing. This can be helpful on slow computers when you temporarily need to focus the cpu on another task.

Going to give it a try and probably buy it myself because of this. I can then convert all my MKV files by simply leave it running overnight

newagemac
Jan 7, 2011, 08:06 AM
I'll try it. I have the full version but didn't see any batch area. This does take longer than I thought thought. My single 4.5GB mkv took about 30 minutes on my 2007 Macbook. Hopefully no more than 10 minutes when I get my iMac. All done automatically but still. I have about 2TB of mkv files. That's why I JB'd. I'm testing this MKVTools method to see what is worth it for me. Also my Japanese anime mkv files have hard coded subs so I'll have to see if MKVTools keeps those.

EDIT: So I ended up with a 3.85GB m4v file and aTV doesn't recognize it in my movies folder. I thought it was supposed to end up a mp4 file?

Actually .m4v is the preferred container for the Apple TV so that is not the same. An mp4 and m4v are essentially the same. You can change them back and forth by just changing the file name extension. However, Apple designed the Apple TV to look for certain things only when they have an .m4v extension like subtitles, chapters, etc. so always use the .m4v extension for the Apple TV which is why most tools like MKVTools default to .m4v with their Apple TV presets.

patent10021
Jan 7, 2011, 08:12 AM
Actually .m4v is the preferred container for the Apple TV so that is not the same. An mp4 and m4v are essentially the same. You can change them back and forth by just changing the file name extension. However, Apple designed the Apple TV to look for certain things only when they have an .m4v extension like subtitles, chapters, etc. so always use the .m4v extension for the Apple TV which is why most tools like MKVTools default to .m4v with their Apple TV presets.
Right...I've always known m4v to be basically the same and what Apple devices like, but aTV2 does not see my new m4v file. wtf

dtaylor
Jan 7, 2011, 08:14 AM
OK no I will only have the HD- I didn't know whether it was a flag when iTunes 'recognized' it was HD or if it was cosmetic.

I use MetaX to modify/add the metadata.

http://www.kerstetter.net/index.php/projects/software/metax - Mac
http://www.danhinsley.com/metax/metax.html - Windows port

I love it. It is quick and easy and gives you good control. By default, HD is set to 'no' for everything I have put in there. I don't have it in front of me right now, but I believe that is one the second tab.

Just make sure you set your source and destination directories to be different, or you may actually send the file into the void.

rayward
Jan 7, 2011, 09:45 AM

Your ATV will recognise the higher resolution of an HD file, and automatically flag it as "HD" in the menu. iTunes will not but, as mentioned above, this only matters if you plan to nest HD and SD versions of the same movie. FWIW, you can get iTunes to show the HD flag by tagging your file as HD using Subler.

newagemac
Jan 7, 2011, 10:36 AM
Are you sure about that? I don't think it actually flags it automatically. I think it requires you to use a tool to give it the HD flag.

rayward
Jan 7, 2011, 10:47 AM
Are you sure about that? I don't think it actually flags it automatically. I think it requires you to use a tool to give it the HD flag.

I always tag my video files, but it is my understanding that ATV flags content as HD automatically if there are more than 480 lines. Can't confirm that from first hand experience, though.

owine
Jan 7, 2011, 12:13 PM
I run my MKVs thru MKVTools. Under the MP4 tab, I select the Apple TV preset, pass thru the video, pass thru AAC or AC3 audio or convert to one of those formats. You can also simply mux in subtitles instead of having to burn them into the video track. I then run the created .m4v file thru Vidalin in order to tag with metadata and cover art and then add the tagged file to iTunes.

It's a process with a few easy steps and by no means fully automated, but at the end I get pristine quality, full surround sound and beautiful metadata tags on my movies. Works for TV shows too.

owine
Jan 7, 2011, 12:16 PM
I always tag my video files, but it is my understanding that ATV flags content as HD automatically if there are more than 480 lines. Can't confirm that from first hand experience, though.

This isn't true. Files need a special tag to have the HD flag. Vidalin is one of the few programs I know that can add this flag.

dtaylor
Jan 7, 2011, 01:32 PM
This isn't true. Files need a special tag to have the HD flag. Vidalin is one of the few programs I know that can add this flag.

Yep. I had to modify all my HD m4v files to add the HD flag with MetaX.

HarryPot
Jan 7, 2011, 04:03 PM
Anyone knows of a way to create an iPhone 4 compatible file from an MKV?

I used Subler and it worked in iTunes, but it win't sync with the iPhone.

newagemac
Jan 7, 2011, 04:11 PM
Handbrake will convert .mkv to a file compatible with the iPhone 4 reliably. I just use the ATV2 preset in 0.9.5. You should be able to just passthru with Subler, iFlicks, or MKVTools if the audio and video in the mkv are already compatible.

newagemac
Jan 7, 2011, 04:13 PM

Subler, iSubtitles, and iFlicks all add the flag too.

HarryPot
Jan 7, 2011, 04:49 PM
Handbrake will convert .mkv to a file compatible with the iPhone 4 reliably. I just use the ATV2 preset in 0.9.5. You should be able to just passthru with Subler, iFlicks, or MKVTools if the audio and video in the mkv are already compatible.

Thanks.

My question was more regarding the use of only Subler. I made that, and was able to add the file to iTunes. But couldn't sync it with my iPhone.

It said something about file compatibility.

newagemac
Jan 7, 2011, 05:19 PM
Well what's in the mkv?

patent10021
Jan 7, 2011, 05:21 PM
I run my MKVs thru MKVTools. Under the MP4 tab, I select the Apple TV preset, pass thru the video, pass thru AAC or AC3 audio or convert to one of those formats. You can also simply mux in subtitles instead of having to burn them into the video track. I then run the created .m4v file thru Vidalin in order to tag with metadata and cover art and then add the tagged file to iTunes.

It's a process with a few easy steps and by no means fully automated, but at the end I get pristine quality, full surround sound and beautiful metadata tags on my movies. Works for TV shows too.I used the mp4 tab for the 5th time last night and MKVTools spit out 2 files again. Conviction.mkv.a1 & Conviction.mkv.v1.h264. I have my settings to passthrough video and audio. How come I'm not getting a final muxed file? I think it's because it was originally a dts file. Maybe if I choose AAC (2 ch.) 0r AAC (5.1) it would mux it.

Also yesterday I also tried the Quick tab which worked well and gave me a m4v file. Strange thing is aTV2 doesn't see it. And....it sees other m4vs that I can't see. aTV2 says it's in my movies folder but those files that aTV2 sees I can't even see. Is it possible aTV2 scanned my whole network and is using locations I forgot about?

EDIT: Ahhh aTV2 was reading my iTunes movie folder. I thought movie folder meant Mac movie folder. So I can't point to other folder on my Mac?

EDIT: So now aTV2 sees the file because I put it in the iTunes application movie folder. BUT the movie poster frame works but the movie doesn't play. And when I try to play it in iTunes itself it gives me an error. The operation couldn/U2019t [sic] be completed. (BackRowErrors error 326.) EDIT: So I set the aTV2 Dolby settings to on instead of automatic and audio language to English like another forum said. Now the video plays but no audio and aTV2 gives it's on audio error warning message. Someone said you need to use AC3 2.1 in MKVTools not AAC 2.1. Is that right?

EDIT: Someone said AAC 5.1 will work if you tick the add 2 ch check box.

HarryPot
Jan 7, 2011, 05:51 PM
Well what's in the mkv?

A TV episode. As for the kind of video format it contains, I'm not sure.

But the ending file after Subler plays in iTunes, but won't sync to iPhone.

patent10021
Jan 7, 2011, 06:45 PM
ok So in the mp4 tab I tried video passthrough and AAC 2ch passthrough and all is well...

Now I have to decide if I want to convert my mkvs to simple (AAC 2ch) or (AAC 5.0 + 2ch) incase I get a Dolby audio system later.

When I tried (AAC 5.1) passthrough alone aTV2 didn't play the audio. You need to select (AAC 5.1) + tick the 'add 2ch track' check box.

If I use (AAC 5.1) + tick the 'add 2ch track' check box will aTV2 use Dolby if Dolby is turned on in the settings?

What if you have a 720p avi file? Will aTV2 read it? What's the best app to convert it? Just use QT? What settings?

Final question is how to figure out how to keep subs.

Ritsuka
Jan 8, 2011, 05:11 AM
A TV episode. As for the kind of video format it contains, I'm not sure.

But the ending file after Subler plays in iTunes, but won't sync to iPhone.

The iPhone has got some limitations,you can try to set the h.264 video profile level to main 3.1 by selecting the video track in subler to work around iTunes syncing limitations.

patent10021
Jan 8, 2011, 08:38 AM
Sort of off topic/on topic....what are you guys using to convert 720p (avi) for aTV2? VisualHub? Handbrake? I want something as easy as MKVTools to use. i.e. Red.2010.720p.BRRip.XviD.AC3

EDIT: Nevermind. I didn't know MKVTools was for avi as well. I thought it was for mkv only.

Should I use H264 (1 pass) or (2 pass)? What would be the difference in conversion time for a 2.35GB avi?

EDIT: OMFG Once you start getting into converting avi files or files with subs it's hell because you then have to convert video which takes 2 hours on a 500mb file. Now I remember why I JB'd. Wish a aTV2 proper JB would come soon.

lindmar
Jan 9, 2011, 05:14 PM

It's a process with a few easy steps and by no means fully automated, but at the end I get pristine quality, full surround sound and beautiful metadata tags on my movies. Works for TV shows too.

What am I missing here?

I did then and end up with two files, and not a m4v file even though I used the mp4 tab. I ended up with an AC3 file and a .h264 file. Not sure how to join and/or make use of.

Anyone?

Thanks

emmgunn
Jan 9, 2011, 08:24 PM
It sounds like you ran into an error. The two files are the track files that MKVtools attempted to mux into the m4v file. If there is no m4v file, then some error occurred. If you have "keep log/temp files" checked in the preferences, you should see the log files that are created by the "tools" that MKVtools uses. Their names give you an idea of the process the log files are for. Look in those to find out what happened.

andre.abreu
Jan 11, 2011, 09:06 PM
If I can sugest ...

To convert mkv in to Hight profile version 3.1 to play on Apple TV 2 with bitrating like 10mbits/s I use ffmpeg 2 pass encodding ... yes need lot of time but the quality is incredible.

To add HD flag and other info`s, cover and etc... on my mp4/m4v files I use iDentify ... Is the better

i.e.

http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/9394/capturadetela20110112s0.png

All my movies contains more than one audio and even subtitle and is copatible with my iPad and iPhone`s...

I hope to help and sorry for my bad English!

kris182
Jan 12, 2011, 01:18 PM
Sort of off topic/on topic....what are you guys using to convert 720p (avi) for aTV2? VisualHub? Handbrake? I want something as easy as MKVTools to use. i.e. Red.2010.720p.BRRip.XviD.AC3

EDIT: Nevermind. I didn't know MKVTools was for avi as well. I thought it was for mkv only.

Should I use H264 (1 pass) or (2 pass)? What would be the difference in conversion time for a 2.35GB avi?

EDIT: OMFG Once you start getting into converting avi files or files with subs it's hell because you then have to convert video which takes 2 hours on a 500mb file. Now I remember why I JB'd. Wish a aTV2 proper JB would come soon.

You only need to reconvert the video if you wish to burn the subs in. If you select the mux option then you can pass the video through. It also means you won't end up with permanent subs on your resulting file.

kuwisdelu
Jan 12, 2011, 02:55 PM
You only need to reconvert the video if you wish to burn the subs in. If you select the mux option then you can pass the video through. It also means you won't end up with permanent subs on your resulting file.

If it's XviD and for an Apple TV, you do need to convert. TV doesn't play XviD or DivX.

owine
Jan 19, 2011, 12:15 PM
What am I missing here?

I did then and end up with two files, and not a m4v file even though I used the mp4 tab. I ended up with an AC3 file and a .h264 file. Not sure how to join and/or make use of.

Anyone?

Thanks

Is there a log file as well? That could tell you what went wrong. Keep in mind you need a good amount of free disk space for this to work as it has to extract both tracks and then mux into one file.

yesman420
Mar 17, 2011, 06:10 PM
Are there any tools similar to mkvtools for windows? I have a bunch of movies in h26d and aac format and I do not want to re-encode the video/audio. I see that Subler and Mkvtools are for MAC only.

Bazmondo
Dec 28, 2011, 06:37 AM
Hi Guys

I just got an apple tv for Crimbo and want to convert all my movies to play on it via itunes.

I have been using a wdtv and most of my movies are mkv 720p AC3. I dont know what else to describe them as sorry

Complete noob when it comes to converting and I see from the post above I might not have to?

What is remuxing and can someone just give an ewasy way/tool to convert these files to play on my aptv

also i'm using windows 7

Finally would the quality still be the same?

cheers
Baz

an-other
Dec 30, 2011, 09:35 AM
Technically speaking Roxio Toast has the ability to do this. I've been a longtime Toast user (going back to the days of the Rio MP3 player that preceded the ipod!)

The current version re-encodes everything, and it's extremely slow. Overnight slow. The quality is terrific. The caveat should be "when it works." It hasn't worked at all for the last 6 months. Just goes ka-blammo, and i'm greeted with a bug report to send to Apple.

I've gone through all the tech fixes (reinstall quicktime, roxio, etc.) I'm not the only one.

There's nothing more disturbing when a premier software company goes bad. A case could be made you don't need Toast as OS X has the basic tools there. It worked so well it was worth the money IMHO. Now it's not, and they'll soon offer a new version after CES. I'm pretty sure they've lost me for the upgrade.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

There is a free conversion tool in the app store. Just search "mkv". I've tried it a few times, and it seems the business.

chiefpavvy
Jan 1, 2012, 12:16 AM
UGH Toast is a horrible piece of software in my humble opinion. I've never seen a slower encoder and frankly, the quality isn't all that great. Just my two cents.

djrod
Jan 1, 2012, 03:33 AM
Iflicks has a muxing option that converts MKV in just seconds!

http://support.iflicksapp.com/entries/20242648-the-itunes-compatible-preset

Space Moose
Apr 28, 2012, 07:14 PM

There's a quick little AppleScript here for repackaging your MKV files into a format that the AppleTV will play.

http://www.tvmutiny.com/threads/watc...re-encoding.5/

It works in no-time flat, as all it does is copy the videos into a new MOV container.There's also instructions there for dealing with AC3 audio (which must be converted).

Overall, it's much, much faster than using Handbrake, because you only transcode what you need (the audio).

dmrowley
Apr 28, 2012, 09:26 PM
My $0.02 is to give Adapter a try. Drag and drop conversion of all sorts of file types. Works great for mkv to mp4, etc...straight into iTunes.

http://www.macroplant.com/adapter/