PDA

View Full Version : iBook G4 turns off:::Any help?

In The Wind
Jan 5, 2011, 11:05 PM
Hi-

Just purchased a used iBook G4, 1.42 ghz 14" notebook. AS IS, meaning broken.

Thought it would be fun to troubleshoot it, since I already own one and have taken it apart.

Here's what's wrong with it.

I've gotten it to boot up. Curiously, it describes itself as a powerbook!?

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten it to stay on for very long. *click* and it dies. I've gotten it to boot a few times, sometimes not, sometimes it only clicks and doesn't boot up. I don't know... I've gotten it to start up in target disk mode with no issues.

FUrther issue with the computer: The trackpad doesn't work. I don't know how to trouble shoot that without replacing the topcase.

Any ideas?

Seems likely that it is a motherboard problem. How can I verify this?

I've looked at some sites that document ibook mobo fixes involving reflowing the solder on one crucial chip (http://macintoshhowto.com/hardware/how-do-i-get-my-broken-g4-ibook-fixed.html). It just seems strange because if I hold down the chip and try to boot, it doesn't work any better.

Strimkind
Jan 10, 2011, 09:26 AM
Sounds definitely like a logic board issue. There is the possibility that it may have been due to liquid damage.

I had an older iBook that did not recognize the trackpad, keyboard, airport slot, or the RAM slot. It would also not respond when rebooted. I assumed that water was introduced to it at some point in its life.

My recommendations are to stop bothering fixing it and try and find a unit with a good board and a Bad LCD. Make one good unit out of 2 bad ones.

In The Wind
Jan 12, 2011, 02:53 PM
Thanks!

I may do that.