PDA

View Full Version : MBA Insurance

JesseW6889
Jan 6, 2011, 02:54 AM
First off... please don't give me the 'put the cost of the insurance plan aside from all your purchase's and use that if...' because I'm not going to do that!

I've been shopping around for insurance for my new 13" MBA. Not ENTIRELY sure that I need it, as its my first Mac, but I'm not so much thinking of buying insurance for hardware issues as much as accidental damage, or theft even.

I've seen some for theft, and some for accidental damage for AROUND the same price if I remember correctly. I am a college student so that opens up a few more plans, I believe.

Any ideas? I understand its a personal preference thing, and I don't plan on dropping my mba or getting it stolen for that matter, but If either one of those things happens to the notebook i just paid $1500 for... I'll be upset, to say the least!

I just wanted to hear some opinions... I'm not entirely above buying accidental insurance and just breaking it in 2 years to get a refund for a new one... OR, if I got accidental insurance and someone stole mine, buying a broken one on ebay and saying that i broke it! I dunno, I'm trying to be less of a bad person, but i won't lie, both of these scenarios entered my mind...

fs454
Jan 6, 2011, 03:10 AM
First off... please don't give me the 'put the cost of the insurance plan aside from all your purchase's and use that if...' because I'm not going to do that!

I've been shopping around for insurance for my new 13" MBA. Not ENTIRELY sure that I need it, as its my first Mac, but I'm not so much thinking of buying insurance for hardware issues as much as accidental damage, or theft even.

I've seen some for theft, and some for accidental damage for AROUND the same price if I remember correctly. I am a college student so that opens up a few more plans, I believe.

Any ideas? I understand its a personal preference thing, and I don't plan on dropping my mba or getting it stolen for that matter, but If either one of those things happens to the notebook i just paid $1500 for... I'll be upset, to say the least!

I just wanted to hear some opinions... I'm not entirely above buying accidental insurance and just breaking it in 2 years to get a refund for a new one... OR, if I got accidental insurance and someone stole mine, buying a broken one on ebay and saying that i broke it! I dunno, I'm trying to be less of a bad person, but i won't lie, both of these scenarios entered my mind...

Why don't you add it to your homeowner's insurance?

JesseW6889
Jan 6, 2011, 09:55 PM
Why don't you add it to your homeowner's insurance?

I don't own a home or have renters insurance at the moment, but from what I remember, it only covers fire/theft not accidental damage plus the deductible is like $1000 anyways

silvrbullet
Jan 7, 2011, 05:26 AM
If you have renters insurance through State Farm you can get a Personal Articles Policy that will cover your MBA.

I have a policy on my camera equipment, but have yet to add my MBP to it. Your looking at around $32 a year for 1500 of coverage. This isn't a policy to abuse, however. After one claim they will probably drop your coverage.

ReelAction
Jan 7, 2011, 08:38 PM
I saw these folks at the CES, they look reasonable, so would suggest checking them put. If I remember correctly, they do have student rates.
Here is the link: www.worthavegroup.com

Keep in mind at the end of the day, it is most important to deal with an insurance carrier that will pay legitimate claims and not give one the run around.

dmelgar
Jan 8, 2011, 09:01 AM
I saw these folks at the CES, they look reasonable, so would suggest checking them put. If I remember correctly, they do have student rates.
Here is the link: www.worthavegroup.com

Keep in mind at the end of the day, it is most important to deal with an insurance carrier that will pay legitimate claims and not give one the run around.

I just went with them. My homeowners would still have a $1000 deductible. I figured with the 11" being so portable I'll be taking it everywhere. It's much more likely to get damaged.

Xeperu
Jan 8, 2011, 09:12 AM
My MBA is insured via Visa when I bought it. Also because I use it outside my own country most of the time, it's covered by my travel insurance for pretty much every contingency.

truncj
Jan 8, 2011, 10:50 PM
If you have renters insurance through State Farm you can get a Personal Articles Policy that will cover your MBA.

I have a policy on my camera equipment, but have yet to add my MBP to it. Your looking at around $32 a year for 1500 of coverage. This isn't a policy to abuse, however. After one claim they will probably drop your coverage.

+1 for this suggestion. I was doing this with my iPhone until they told me they could no longer provide coverage for iPhones in general. It covers theft/loss/accidental damange/acts of god.... just not "defects" since of course those are covered by your manufacturers warranty.

DarwinOSX
Jan 9, 2011, 12:56 AM
I bought mine with American Express which doubles the warranty. My home owners insurance covers damage.