Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

g4 powerbookboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
I have a g4 tibook 400mhz/512 ram that works perfect, using it now. I saw a g4 ibook 1.2ghz/512ram on craigslist for sale for $300.00 but it has been dropped and the hinges? are pulled away from the body and if the screen is moved while its on it wll go off, to get the display back you have to play with the screen a little byt it comes back on. seems like a nice unit otherwise. or should i wait and find one in better shape maybe for the same price?

crammedberry

macrumors regular
I'm pretty sure your Titanium Powerbook would be worth more than that messed up iBook... If it's as bad as you say it is... I wouldn't pay much for it... definitely not $300... To be honest, even if it was in pristine condition I probably wouldn't spend more than $200 on one... I've seen powerbooks on craigslist that go for way less than that... -think 15" 1.5GHz for $250- I would wait

g4 powerbookboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
I forgot to put the tibook works perfect as long as the ac adapter is plugged in, the battery is noting but a useless paperweight. but i really dont have any complaints on how it works as long as its plugged in.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Hold onto the TiBook and look on eBay. There are MUCH better deals on Powerbooks and iBooks than that and they are in better condition. $300 for an iBook thats been beat pretty bad is no deal. You could get a nice 15" Albook for that or at least a 14" iBook that is in good shape.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
Hold onto the TiBook and look on eBay. There are MUCH better deals on Powerbooks and iBooks than that and they are in better condition. $300 for an iBook thats been beat pretty bad is no deal. You could get a nice 15" Albook for that or at least a 14" iBook that is in good shape.

I agree, that iBook isn't a deal, you can find one in nice shape for less than that. Keep searching eBay and Craigslist. Remember also that you can save searches on eBay and have them email you when a new item(s) matches your search.

g4 powerbookboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
thing is im not real sure i want a first gen intel machine and for 300 thats probably what id find except for g4 machines

crammedberry

macrumors regular
thing is im not real sure i want a first gen intel machine and for 300 thats probably what id find except for g4 machines

First gen intel machines are great... I still have an original Core Duo iMac (Jan 2006 model)... and it still screams compared to all my other G4's... if you wanna spend $300 bucks on a PPC then do it on a PowerBook... at least that's somewhat worth it (and if you don't need a laptop you can find a G4 Mac Mini for well under $200 and pick up a nice display with the rest... )

g4 powerbookboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
a friend of mine made a goofy suggestion, said i should by a new battery for my tibook and save the rest of the money.

he must be a little goofy!!!

makinao

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2009
No, he's not goofy. Assuming your PB is indeed running perfect, a new battery is going to cost you less that half of $300.

g4 powerbookboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
only thing is.... do what with the rest of the money, pay credit card bills?? what for ? bankruptcy would do that too! and at least id have my toys!

makinao

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2009
Let me get this straight: you would rather spend $300 dollars on a physically damaged, barely working, terminal iBook g4 than spend less than half of that amount to get a battery for you perfectly working tiBook g4? Why?

makinao

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2009
No it won't be faster. You will spend more time fiddling with it to make it work.

g4 powerbookboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
if it really acted that bad, i could take it to the apple store for repair too

spend more money on credit card that i dont have

PurpleMarmalade

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2010
I think you'd quickly become annoyed by the creaking and rattling that accompanies an iBook, as opposed to a PowerBook, especially one in the condition as described. If you really want to upgrade to a PPC, get the last revision of the G4 PowerBook.

g4 powerbookboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
ibooks rattle? hmmm never heard one do that. havent found a last revision powerbook on craigslist or ebay for under 300 yet.

crammedberry

macrumors regular
I think the iBook rattle is more of a hit and miss kind of thing my iBook G3 600 is extremely quiet.. it's as solid as it was a decade ago... a newer 900 model I had did have a noise problem, and sounded like it was about to fall apart every time I picked it up.

It comes down to luck but in your case, and the iBook you're interested in, it seems almost guaranteed. If your aim is to push your bills high enough to facilitate bankruptcy... why not set yourself up with a better model? It'll make your life a little easier, rather than buying a broken iBook that apple may or may not fix... good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.