PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Dual 1.25 G4 and ATI 9800 Pro Special Edition

hikerguy
Jan 28, 2005, 05:01 AM
I just bought this card and it won't fit in the AGP slot. There is something in the J9 slot on the board and I am unsure of how or if I can remove it. Any suggestions? Thanks.

cluthz
Jan 28, 2005, 05:42 AM
I just bought this card and it won't fit in the AGP slot. There is something in the J9 slot on the board and I am unsure of how or if I can remove it. Any suggestions? Thanks.

There are two versions of the retail 9800. I think the 256MB is G5 only, the 128MB will fit in a G4.

oingoboingo
Jan 28, 2005, 05:46 AM

Firstly, the 256MB Radeon 9800 Pro Special Edition is only supported on PowerMac G5 systems. This is clearly stated on the ATI web site.

From the top of my head, there are two things you will need to address if you want to attempt to make this card work in a G4. The first one is that the Radeon 9800 Pro SE is an AGP 8x card and your dual G4 only has an AGP 4x slot. You might need to do the 'sticky tape on the AGP connector' trick to get things running. The other thing is that the Radeon 9800 Pro SE draws its power from an AGP Pro-style extra connector, which (and I could be mistaken here) is not present, or is not present in the correct position on the PowerMac G4. The 128MB Radeon 9800 Pro (which is G4-compatible) uses a hard-drive Molex power connector on the board to draw extra power.

Umm...hopefully that helps. Maybe I didn't understand your question properly.