Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

155752-oppenheimer_tosi.jpg

Apple CFO Peter Oppenheimer (left) and Blackstone CFO Laurence Tosi (right)
Bloomberg reports that it has learned from three separate sources that Apple has approached Laurence Tosi of investment firm Blackstone Group about taking on the role of Apple's Chief Financial Officer. Tosi would replace Peter Oppenheimer, who has served as Apple's CFO since 2004.

Tosi has reportedly indicated to Blackstone management that he intends to remain with the investment firm, suggesting that Apple may have to continue searching for a new executive. But in addressing the claims, Apple has gone as far as to state that Oppenheimer is very happy with the company and that Apple is not conducting a search for a new CFO, leading to questions about exactly what is happening behind closed doors.
Tosi told Blackstone CEO Stephen Schwarzman that he plans to stay, rather than join Apple, said two of the people, who asked not to be identified because the talks were private. Steve Dowling, a spokesman for Apple, said the company is "not conducting a CFO search." Current CFO Peter Oppenheimer "loves the company and is extremely happy in his role," Dowling said.
A similar note provided to All Things Digital by Apple includes a statement that "Peter is not leaving Apple."

Oppenheimer, a fixture on Apple's quarterly earnings conference calls, has helped guide Apple to tremendous financial success over the past six and a half years, with Apple currently sitting on over $50 billion in cash and investments and registering as the world's second-largest publicly-traded company with a market capitalization of over $300 billion.

Article Link: Apple May Or May Not Be Searching For a New CFO

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Option B: They wanted Tosi for some other job at Apple.

Option C: They want to give Oppenheimer a promotion to something else. Remember, they just said he wasn't leaving Apple. They didn't say he wouldn't be doing something different in the future.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
"May Or May Not Be"

Well yes, I'd say those are really the only two options. :rolleyes:

kimble3

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2004
Acquisition?

Possibly a large acquisition in the not too distant future? They do have something like 50 billion in the bank...

sbrhwkp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
Lake George, NY
BREAKING NEWS:

Apple Computer may or may not be working on iRocketship; your very own space craft.

Use your iPhone or iPad as flight controls.

Still no flash, though.

leukotriene

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
"Apple May Or May Not Be Searching For a New CFO"

...that headline's a bit tautologous, don't you think?

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
Wow. What a surprise. Yet another unsubstantiated rumour on macrumors to drive traffic here.
:rolleyes:
I can make up stuff too. Where is my cheque?

Dorv

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2008
Board of Directors

Considering how empty Apple Board meetings are these days, I'd say its more likely they were probing him for a potential position there.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
lol, fantastic headline.

I may or may not be the new Apple CFO.

I'm not

fontman

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2009
Costa mesa
Really - With a name like that !

Those guys at the Blackstone are the worst. Please no ! I will sell my 20 thousand shares if that happens.

PS

I think blackstone purchased Hilton , And are slowly killing that brand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.