Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

regulusblack

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2010
I am retarded when it comes to computers. Just want to throw that out there.

I already installed Fusion (vs 3), and I'm trying to install Windows XP using the Windows Easy Install. I was looking at the customizations to see what was there and I guess I accidentally made it start installing.

The reason I didn't mean to install it yet is because I've heard a lot about having to partition my hard drive and I was trying to figure out how to do that. I'll be running more applications (office as well as AutoCAD and ChemCAD) on Windows, so I have to make sure it has enough memory or whatever to be able to run things.

Anyway, apparently the version of XP I have is actually an upgrade. On the Windows screen it says I have to insert the correct XP CD and press ENTER or press F3 to quit setup. Well, my Mac's (Macbook Pro) F3 key isn't working, and apparently my dad only has Windows 98 that I'm going to have to install first and then upgrade it to XP.

So should I wait for the Windows 98 CD, install that, and then press enter? Or can someone tell me a way to get it to end the setup?

I have no clue what to do and I'm really freaked out about screwing my computer up because I bought it with my own money and a college student's budget is cramped enough as it is...

regulusblack

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2010
It was actually REALLY simple...I was thinking I would have to install Windows 98 and then upgrade to Windows XP, but all I actually had to do was stick the Windows 98 CD in there so that the program could verify that I had it, and then it finished the installation.

And to use function keys on a Windows virtual machine you press fn-F3 or whatever key you need to press.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
all I actually had to do was stick the Windows 98 CD in there so that the program could verify that I had it, and then it finished the installation.

Just FWIW it's harder than this in Boot Camp, because there is no manual eject button at this point in the install. You can use an external ODD as well or "merge" the 98 and XP install discs to get around this.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.