PDA

View Full Version : G1 iPod volume doesn't work...

TootsieToots
Jan 28, 2005, 09:25 AM
Hey friendly helpful Mac-peeps!

I've got a G-1 iPod and lately there's been a problem where the volume won't turn up or down. Sometimes it's blaring and I can't turn it down, or some days (like this morning) I can barely hear it despite the fact it's turned up to 11. Anyone else encounter this with thier "ancient" iPod? Here's some specs that may help with an answer:

- It's Gen-1, 5-gig iPod.
- I've had it for a little over two years.
- I don't use the standard ear-plug headphones -- I use Sony, studio-style headphones.
- I live in NYC, and laately it's been freezing here (maybe the weather has something to do with it?).

Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

topher
Jan 28, 2005, 10:43 AM
Hi there. I thought I was the only one still out there. Early adopters club, anyone?

I haven't had the same issue that you have had, but I thought I'd sing the praises of reformatting. If you download the ipod software restore utility, it has the potential to work miracles.

My battery life had dwindled to 30-40 minutes, but has gone back to 6-7 hrs. after a disk restore. I wish that I could vouch for the ability of this tactic to fix your volume, but I would definitely say it's worth a try.

If it doesn't work, there are online shops that specialize in parts replacement. Often they are geared toward battery replacement, but I have seen (though I can't remember where) places that replace faulty headphone jacks, scroll wheels, etc. I wish I could point you somewhere, but if you found Macrumors, you are probably pretty resourceful.

Finally, www.ipodlounge.com makes their living diagnosing this. If your time on this forum isn't very fruitful, you might check out theirs.

TootsieToots
Jan 28, 2005, 11:02 AM
Hi there. I thought I was the only one still out there. Early adopters club, anyone?

Heh heh...yeah, I guess we're a dying breed. Although I gotta admit, I get this weird sense of pride when I pull out my dirty, scratched-to-hell G-1 dinosaur in front of a bunch of newer models and minis. Like I'm some kida iPod veteran in a sea of rookies.

Thanks for the advice. Hopefully there's someone else out there who's still rocking the original Model-T that has had a similar problem/solution. Either way, I'm off to ipodlounge.com to see what they have to say.

(p.s. Gotta link to the software restore?)

OutThere
Jan 28, 2005, 11:33 AM
Hey friendly helpful Mac-peeps!

I've got a G-1 iPod and lately there's been a problem where the volume won't turn up or down. Sometimes it's blaring and I can't turn it down, or some days (like this morning) I can barely hear it despite the fact it's turned up to 11. Anyone else encounter this with thier "ancient" iPod? Here's some specs that may help with an answer:

- It's Gen-1, 5-gig iPod.
- I've had it for a little over two years.
- I don't use the standard ear-plug headphones -- I use Sony, studio-style headphones.
- I live in NYC, and laately it's been freezing here (maybe the weather has something to do with it?).

Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

The cold weather where I live has gotten to my 3G iPod's screen (at least I think that's what it is) and made it all wonky - so it could be the problem with yours as well.

topher
Jan 28, 2005, 08:15 PM
Here is the link to Apple's software updater. If I remember correctly this package includes software updates for all ipods including the ability to restore to factory settings.

Good luck.

http://www.apple.com/ipod/download/