PDA

View Full Version : Apple Developer Program -- What happens if I don't renew?

Mr.MathType
Jan 6, 2011, 09:05 PM
So let's say I pay my $99 to join the ADP. After a year, I decide I don't want to develop iOS apps anymore and choose not to renew. What happens to my apps that are already available on the store (all free)? I'm assuming Apple removes them from the store, and apps that have already been downloaded will continue to be usable, but I can't verify that anywhere. I checked on the Apple website and didn't find any FAQ or anywhere else where they've given this information.

lloyddean
Jan 6, 2011, 10:20 PM
My current understanding is they continue to be available in the store until such time that they stop working with the latest version of iOS available.

kingthong
Jan 7, 2011, 12:52 AM
i read on some other forum that your apps go off the app store if you don't renew.
[citation needed] though :)

firewood
Jan 7, 2011, 01:04 AM
A developer who forgot to renew his developer account in time reported on another forum that his apps disappeared from the App store that day.

Any Developer builds and Ad Hoc apps will also stop working on your devices, as the mobileprovisions usually expire on the renewal date. You can still run apps from Xcode on the Simulator though.

However, once a customer buys or downloads an app from iTunes, it should run forever, unless the customer manages to delete all his copies and ipa backups.

AFAIK.

dejo
Jan 7, 2011, 09:57 AM
...but I can't verify that anywhere. I checked on the Apple website and didn't find any FAQ or anywhere else where they've given this information.

iOS Developer Program - Program Renewals (https://developer.apple.com/support/ios/program-renewals.html)

lloyddean
Jan 7, 2011, 10:56 AM
Thanks for pointing that out I hadn't noticed that before!

Mr.MathType
Jan 8, 2011, 12:17 PM
Wow, that's pretty clear; thanks dejo!

AdamRock
Feb 20, 2011, 11:10 AM
iOS Developer Program - Program Renewals (https://developer.apple.com/support/ios/program-renewals.html)

What happens if I do not renew my iOS Developer Program membership?

If you do not renew your iOS Developer Program membership, you will retain your status as an Apple Developer and will have access to free development resources, but you will lose your ability to distribute applications on the App Store and your access to the iOS Provisioning Portal. In addition, your existing Development and Distribution certificates and provisioning profiles will be revoked and invalidated. You will also lose access to pre-release software, available discussion forums, and Developer Technical Support.

so basically they will delete the apps?

what if they "revoke it and unvalidated it" then i repay the fee, do i get the apps back?

firewood
Feb 20, 2011, 01:08 PM

No. They just remove them from the App store. The apps are still in the portal, which you need to have a non-expired enrollment to access. Stuck in limbo is more like it.

dejo
Feb 20, 2011, 01:16 PM
Yes, the apps will no longer be available on the App Store. Users who have downloaded your app previously will continue to be able to run your apps, though.
what if they "revoke it and unvalidated it" then i repay the fee, do i get the apps back?
This is unclear, at least to me. I suspect that you would have to go through the same procedure had you removed the app from sale yourself but I could be wrong. I've not heard of anyone who's gone through this predicament yet.