PDA

View Full Version : G5 mac cant install OS 10.5 PLEASE HELP!

ajsheets123
Jan 6, 2011, 10:15 PM
Hi,
I have a power mac g5 its a few years old and I'm having trouble installing OS 10.5 leopard. When I turn on the computer i get a blinking ? folder that alternates showing a ? and a mac face, with a gray background. I tried putting in the start up disk ( ? folder doesn't appear with the start up disk) and it guides me through the installation steps, but it doesn't display a location to install the OS on. I also tried putting an external HD in and this does not appear as well. So, I went to disk utility and tried the figure out the problem. In disk utility, the internal hard drive is there, but not the external HD. I also tried switching Hard drive ports from a to b and this made no difference. IF you have any suggestion or solutions please post them. Thank you.

tom vilsack
Jan 7, 2011, 12:00 AM
did you try using disk utility to erase your internal harddrive (thus also formats it) then installing leopard?

Mike Macintosh
Jan 7, 2011, 12:06 AM
Hi,
I have a power mac g5 its a few years old and I'm having trouble installing OS 10.5 leopard. When I turn on the computer i get a blinking ? folder that alternates showing a ? and a mac face, with a gray background. I tried putting in the start up disk ( ? folder doesn't appear with the start up disk) and it guides me through the installation steps, but it doesn't display a location to install the OS on. I also tried putting an external HD in and this does not appear as well. So, I went to disk utility and tried the figure out the problem. In disk utility, the internal hard drive is there, but not the external HD. I also tried switching Hard drive ports from a to b and this made no difference. IF you have any suggestion or solutions please post them. Thank you.I was going
to say it was probably a failing HD, but you said you also tried a external, my only question I have for you is, are you sure its the retail disc?

If it's gray then you have the wrong disc.

raysfan81
Jan 7, 2011, 02:21 PM
The disk you would need would be Black with a big purple X in the middle. If you are using grey disks than it won't install.

VanneDC
Jan 7, 2011, 03:15 PM
This, unless he has the grey install disk that came with the unit.

goMac
Jan 7, 2011, 03:18 PM
This, unless he has the grey install disk that came with the unit.

G5's never shipped with 10.5.

ajsheets123
Jan 7, 2011, 06:10 PM
did you try using disk utility to erase your internal harddrive (thus also formats it) then installing leopard?

yes i did erase the HD, zeroing out all the data and that had no luck

ajsheets123
Jan 7, 2011, 06:14 PM
The disk you would need would be Black with a big purple X in the middle. If you are using grey disks than it won't install.

I am using the 10.5 disk and it is a legit copy purchased from apple. When I boot up the computer with a the disk I would get a grey backround on the screen its no the disk

ajsheets123
Jan 7, 2011, 06:18 PM
G5's never shipped with 10.5.

Should I try using a different OS disk?

goMac
Jan 7, 2011, 06:29 PM
Should I try using a different OS disk?

Your OS disk is good. It sounds like your hard drive is dead.

ajsheets123
Jan 9, 2011, 03:04 PM
Your OS disk is good. It sounds like your hard drive is dead.

The hard drive shows up in disk utility, but not as a install location. Could the hard drive be dead even if the computer recognizes it in disk utility?

And If the HD is dead should I get a new one or is there any way to repair it on the computer?

Nameci
Jan 9, 2011, 03:17 PM
How did you format your HDD? It should be Mac OSX Extended Journaled.