PDA

View Full Version : Greece bans all video games

alex_ant
Sep 3, 2002, 09:52 PM
From ZDNet (http://zdnet.com.com/2110-1106-956296.html):
The Greek government has banned all electronic games across Greece, including those in home computers, Game Boy-style portable consoles, and on mobile phones. Law Number 3037, enacted at the end of July, explicitly forbids electronic games with 'electronic mechanisms and software' from public and private places, and people have already been fined tens of thousands of euros for playing or owning games.

Internet cafes are allowed to continue to operate, providing all gaming is prohibited: if a client is found to be running any sort of game, including online chess, the café owner will be fined and the place closed. --Rupert Goodwins and Matt Loney, ZDNet UK
That's the whole article, copyright be damned. So yes, this would include Macs, I guess. I'm not sure why this news isn't more widespread, unless it's some kind of prank.

job
Sep 3, 2002, 10:15 PM
this has already occured to a lesser extent in some islamic countries.

malaysia for example banned counterstrike and many other fps games.

Mr. Anderson
Sep 3, 2002, 10:28 PM
That's just nuts - its a knee jerk reaction for the whole gaming industry - what about educational games?

sad, actually,

D

ClassicMac
Sep 3, 2002, 10:33 PM
What was thier reason behind doing this? It does not make much sense to me.

kungfu
Sep 3, 2002, 10:40 PM
read this, from gamespot.com:

Gaming banned in Greece

A law meant to punish gambling establishments also bans video games.

The Greek parliament has voted in a new law that effectively bans all forms of gaming, including console, PC, handheld, and cell phone games, in both public and private areas. The law was originally meant to punish gambling establishments, but the law's broad language actually encompasses all forms of electronic gaming. Those caught breaking the law can face up to three months of jail time and a 5,000 euro fine, while repeat offenders can face up to a year in prison and a 50,000 to 75,000 euro fine. Currently, two Internet café owners are scheduled to stand trial on September 10 in a Thessaloníki court for allowing computer games in their establishments.
We'll have more as it becomes available.

kungfu

Durandal7
Sep 3, 2002, 10:40 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if this occurred in Saudi Arabia but Greece? The whole situation seems ridiculous.

Haberdasher
Sep 4, 2002, 04:15 PM
I didn't believe this at first...I saw in a few other gaming forums people making comments about the Greeks. Of course, I was highly puzzled and still am even after getting the facts straight.

Anyone think that there'll be enough of a public outcry to try to make the law more specific so as to get rid of the restricions on electronic games?

dreamlance
Sep 5, 2002, 10:24 AM
If the motive was to ban gambling, why sweep out everything else? Seems kind of extreme to me.

And like Dukestreet said, what about educational games?

kiwi_the_iwik
Sep 5, 2002, 06:47 PM
Plain and simple - it's an infringement of basic human rights.

As Greece is a formal member of the EU, this should be taken to the European Parliament in Brussels. There, the bill will be laughed out of existence. You wouldn't expect this type of knee-jerk reaction from a so-called democracy - the foundation of modern society, tolerance and ideas - would you?

Durandal7
Sep 5, 2002, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by kiwi_the_iwik

As Greece is a formal member of the EU, this should be taken to the European Parliament in Brussels. There, the bill will be laughed out of existence. You wouldn't expect this type of knee-jerk reaction from a so-called democracy - the foundation of modern society, tolerance and ideas - would you?

I agree, this is leading to the stamping out of free speech.

There's a lot of online games so is the next step taking away internet access?

job
Sep 5, 2002, 10:01 PM
it's a classical orwellian case of a government telling you what you can and cannot do.

**shudder**

kiwi_the_iwik
Sep 6, 2002, 03:59 AM
Even CHINA has access to the internet now.

What happens, by the way, when the Greek authorities find that the internet is literally flooded with javascript-style games:

For example -

www.ersim.com
www.first2zero.com
www.first2victory.com

As this contravenes their new law (3037), will the Greek Government then outlaw the internet - thus taking with it a piece of free speech? Then, where will it end? I find it quite ironic that the Greek way of life was founded on games and competition - the forerunner to the Modern Olympics.

Maybe Juan Antonio Samaranch and the IOC should have thought longer and harder before they awarded the 2004 Olympic Games to Athens...

job
Sep 6, 2002, 06:15 AM
actually i heard that the chinese government has restricted access to sites such as google.

they forced all the ISP to prohibit access to google due to the fact that you could surf for "forbidden" information... :rolleyes:

fragiledreams
Sep 6, 2002, 06:57 AM
www.parliament.gr/ergasies/nomosxedia/ValidNomosxedio/A-PAIGNIA-pap.pdf
(only in greek)

The idea behind this stupid law was than any computer could (with the appropriate software) be used for gambling purposes. However this thing is only in papers and it basicaly concentrates in the ban of gaming equipment in public places.

Our politicians aren't uncivilized. They are just stupid. Moreover elections are
close so.... ("we protect your children")

Until now, the only effect this law has is the ban of coin-ops. Video games of any form and for any platform are legaly sold everywhere (even rented in video clubs).

Thus be assured that we here in Greece get our daily (over)dose of Quake :p

Greetings ftom Athens, Greece

Sep 6, 2002, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by alex_ant
From ZDNet (http://zdnet.com.com/2110-1106-956296.html):

That's the whole article, copyright be damned. So yes, this would include Macs, I guess. I'm not sure why this news isn't more widespread, unless it's some kind of prank. [/B]

Sucks to live in Greece:cool:

Macmaniac
Sep 6, 2002, 11:26 AM
This is so stupid!! Greece is the birth place of the olympic games and to ban all electronic games just makes no sense. Sounds alot like 1984 to me! I thought greece was a democartic country, the people need to rise up and challenge this law. This is a huge blow to games we have to make sure this never occurs in our own country!!

War3 users in Greece I feal your pain!!!

fragiledreams
Sep 6, 2002, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by kiwi_the_iwik

Your "democracy" together with the US "democracy" is bombing innocent children in Yougoslavia, Avganistan, Iraq e.t.c without any UN approval.

I beleive that baning coin-ops, no matter how stupid you find it, is less serious and uncivillized than the above.

So next time you raise any "Democracy", "tolerance","ideas" and "Olympic games" issues, try to find a good reason of why your society is better than ours.

fragiledreams
Sep 6, 2002, 11:49 AM
Finally this topic ("Greece bans all video games") in not true. The law involves only machines in public places and exludes any "Internet Cafe".

Otherwise me and another million people would be arrested by now since all of our Windows machines have Solitaire and minesweeper.

Get a life and face you own problems.

job
Sep 6, 2002, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by fragiledreams

Your "democracy" together with the US "democracy" is bombing innocent children in Yougoslavia, Avganistan, Iraq e.t.c without any UN approval.

Ehm, I beg to differ. The UN has no jurisdiction over the United States.

The UN is not a world government. End of story. Read the Book of Revalations and see what it says about a one-world government..

If you are so worried about the civilians that lose their lives due to American airstrikes, what about the Kurds who are gassed by Saddam, or the thousands of Chechen civilians vaporized by Russian artillery?

job
Sep 6, 2002, 04:50 PM
To clarify what I meant with "no jurisdiction.."

The United States does have an obligation to the international community.

However, the United States does not need UN approval to commit it's military into any conflict.

macktheknife
Sep 6, 2002, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by hitman
To clarify what I meant with "no jurisdiction.."

The United States does have an obligation to the international community.

However, the United States does not need UN approval to commit it's military into any conflict.

Excactly. I am no fan of U.S. unilateralism, but I do not believe that the U.S. is accountable to an organization such as the UN. I do not understand why people continue to place so much faith in the UN as some international governmental body instead of what it is: a forum--and only a forum--where countries and try to hammer out issues that is beneficial to the whole global community.

fragiledreams
Sep 6, 2002, 05:40 PM
As much as you don't like foreign intervention you have no right to bomb other people who are 10,000 miles away from your country.

Moreover something more about Greek "democracy". What is more uncivillized? The ban of coin-ops or the death penalty. If I am not wrong your president is the "butcher of Texas" and death penalty is going strong in many states.

Finally saying that Sadam and the Russians cause pain so we can also do the same, it is nothing to be proud of.

alex_ant
Sep 6, 2002, 05:44 PM
Here we go again...

Durandal7
Sep 6, 2002, 06:10 PM
This thread no longer has any relevance on Mac Gaming. It is now a petty contest of "My country is better then your country" I move that this thread be closed :rolleyes:

fragiledreams
Sep 6, 2002, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Durandal7
This thread no longer has any relevance on Mac Gaming. It is now a petty contest of "My country is better then your country" I move that this thread be closed :rolleyes:

No....

As far as I am concerned this is a contest of "My country is no worst than yours"

I hope you get the point.

edesignuk
Sep 6, 2002, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Durandal7
I second that :(

...BTW...that thing in Greece is INSANE!