PDA

View Full Version : This Thing is just......AMAZING!

Yankee125xt
Jan 7, 2011, 06:51 AM
Hi all, long time reader, first time writer.
I bought the macbook Air about a week ago and I've used it everyday so far.
This thing is a serious beauty coupled with intense performance!
I used an Asus N70 Sv before and I'm new to Macs...
The battery, power and weight are what really caught my attention being that I'm a college student.

So far I've only charged it twice (still at 10%!!) and my usage on it is intense!
I can't say for sure how many effective hours I've used it, but its been on and off for more than a day! (sleep mode of course)

I keep the brightness at 30-40%, which is plenty for my eyes and it doesn't cause them to burn.

I recommend this machine to anyone who wants a fast, lightweight, ultraportable and overly sexy machine!

Has anyone been having the same experience?

bri1232001
Jan 7, 2011, 12:01 PM
I'm a college student too and I can't wait to buy one. I'm waiting till later in the month for financial reasons. I'm sick of my 15 inch ASUS G1S laptop with 15 minute battery life.

I'm going to turn the ASUS into a "desktop" and make the air my primary laptop/work computer.

Which model air and what specs did you get?
What do you use it for at school?

ApplesAOranges
Jan 7, 2011, 12:04 PM
Congratz!

Im thinking of buying one too, but that iPad 2 is also knocking behind the door... :)

superdudeo
Jan 7, 2011, 12:14 PM
I never touched my iPad again after getting a MBA. Sold it on ebay. MBA is so much more productive.

Yankee125xt
Jan 7, 2011, 12:32 PM
I have the 13" 128Gb 4Gb ram version...
I have the Asus as my desktop and I'll bring this bad boy around with me wherever I go.

goodtimes5
Jan 7, 2011, 12:42 PM
11" Air turned my 15" Pro into a desktop

louden
Jan 7, 2011, 02:21 PM
I never touched my iPad again after getting a MBA. Sold it on ebay. MBA is so much more productive.

I think the MBA is more a laptop killer than an iPad killer. I still like using the iPad for reading anything and everything.

I can see having a desktop for home use and an air for any on-the-go use. If the air is a secondary computer, there's no need for a laptop.

Anyone want to buy a 2010 15" MBP with an Intel G2 SSD?

Nachos
Jan 7, 2011, 02:30 PM
I just bought a MBA 13" Ultimate (2.13GHz, 256SSD, 4GB ram). Its simply an amazing computer.

It opens programs faster than i ever imagined and is instantly on when i open it.

Amazing computer!

HLdan
Jan 7, 2011, 03:53 PM
Congrats!!!! You made a great choice OP.

iMacThere4Iam
Jan 7, 2011, 04:25 PM
I envy first time Mac buyers. All the comparison shopping and research can't dampen the thrill of opening the box and powering up a new Mac for the first time. Enjoy.

Xeperu
Jan 7, 2011, 04:47 PM
Ever since I have my 13" Air it;s the only computer I use. Even at home. My trusty i7 27" iMac is gathering dust, and my MBP is pretty much retired.

Sounds Good
Jan 7, 2011, 07:54 PM
Impressive. I'm still on the fence about buying my first Mac, but comments like these sure don't hurt.

iRun26.2
Jan 7, 2011, 09:26 PM
Impressive. I'm still on the fence about buying my first Mac, but comments like these sure don't hurt.

I bought my first Mac as a Rev. A. MBA. I loved it and now I have a 11.6" MBA 'ultimate'. I love it! There really is a difference...

(pardon me if I am beginning to sound like a fanboy) :)

darrellishere
Jan 8, 2011, 01:04 AM
I have the 11" with 4gigs of ram and its on par with my previous 1.6ghz Macbook Air, which had the Runcore SSD and I used coolbook utility to un-throttle the cpu!

Now Im thinking, because all I got from moving to the 11" was,
a drop in size,
a massive reduction in heat,
no fan noise ,
ram boost to 4,,
2 hours extra battery life , which is all still brilliant!

But I'm missing the extra benefits that I would have got by sticking with the 13" form factor! EG

A seriouse boost in horse power, CPU
A massive boost in screen space resolution
another! extra 2 hours battery,
an SD Card Reader and
Larger Hard Drive, DAM!!!!!!!!! ;) (Get the 13", Sounds Good) you wont regret it!

If we get the new Macbook pros with the Airs form factor!!! That will defo change the stakes and stir things up !!

Ronnoco
Jan 8, 2011, 03:35 AM

I went to the Apple store tonight to look at the iPads (although I was going to wait to purchase the new one coming out soon)...after reading some of the Air reviews here I tried the 11" Air and after about 10 minutes, I bought it...LOL

No iPad for me...this new Air BLOWS the iPad away...at least for my needs...
Couldn't be happier with the 11" (got the 1.6 with the 4GB of RAM..the thing just FLIES!)...:D

Ronnoco
Jan 8, 2011, 03:37 AM
11" Air turned my 15" Pro into a desktop

Same here...

Xeperu
Jan 8, 2011, 03:46 AM
On the note of iPad vs MBA I thought I'd chip in.

In my various work related activities I use them side by side. When I give lectures I use the MBA to present the slide show, and use my iPad for notes etc. Sometimes I use Air display to get a very light screen next to me on the couch. Lappy on the table, iPad on my lap to control music, movies, etc. It's a perfect symbiosis in my opinion. Before I had an iPad I did the same with my iPhone, however the extra screen real estate makes it so much easier.

In my opinion the MBA is not an iPad killer, it's a MBP/MB killer with a neat little sidekick (the iPad).

Laes
Jan 8, 2011, 07:02 AM
I've had my 13" Ultimate just shy of 1 week now and I agree that it's amazing :D

Basically my main PC is a Windows 7 desktop with an i7 at 4GHz with SLI GTX 460 graphics cards and since I have had my Air I have only used my desktop a handful of times - The convenience of being able to whip out this thing is amazing and not to mention for most things this (aside from gaming) run just fine on here for me anyway

The only thing I still need to work out is the battery life for this thing, I'm sort of worried that my battery performance is a bit under spec when it comes to things like wireless web browsing - I have been getting around 4-5 hours of battery, but this is using Firefox and not Safari

Other than this, my first Mac experience has been amazing. I was considering waiting for the new MB Pro lineup before making a purchase decision, but I pretty much worked out that an MB Pro will be a jack-of-all trades machine, it still won't be as powerful as my desktop and also won't be really portable. Definitely feel like I made the right decision :D

Sounds Good
Jan 8, 2011, 08:29 AM
In my opinion the MBA is not an iPad killer, it's a MBP/MB killer with a neat little sidekick (the iPad).
I do wish the MBA had the same 3G service deal as the iPad has.

Xeperu
Jan 8, 2011, 09:08 AM
I do wish the MBA had the same 3G service deal as the iPad has.

I have a MiFi with global unlimited 3G, problem solved. Also better for batty life. I toss the MiFi in my bag wherever I go, and charge it once every two days. Also enables me to use one 3G plan on both my portable devices.

Sounds Good
Jan 8, 2011, 09:12 AM
I have a MiFi with global unlimited 3G, problem solved. Also better for batty life. I toss the MiFi in my bag wherever I go, and charge it once every two days. Also enables me to use one 3G plan on both my portable devices.
I'm not familiar with that. Can you explain, please?

Also, I'm guessing it's more expensive than the 3G deal the iPad has -- true? Plus the iPad deal allows you to turn it on and off at will, rather than sign up for a 2 year "must pay every month" commitment. Does the MiFi work this way?

Xeperu
Jan 8, 2011, 09:22 AM
I'm not familiar with that. Can you explain, please?

Also, I'm guessing it's more expensive than the 3G deal the iPad has -- true? Plus the iPad deal allows you to turn it on and off at will, rather than sign up for a 2 year "must pay every month" commitment. Does the MiFi work this way?

I have a two year contract on my data plan (I also had the choice of 1 year for the same price). The actual device I bought unsubsidized. I got a very, very good deal on the data plan. (30 euro per month on unlimited global 3G). At home I don't even have a fixed internet connection. I did not expect the price to drop in the coming two years, and with current developments I expect to be right :D.

Sounds Good
Jan 8, 2011, 09:25 AM
I have a two year contract on my data plan (I also had the choice of 1 year for the same price). The actual device I bought unsubsidized. I got a very, very good deal on the data plan. (30 euro per month on unlimited global 3G). At home I don't even have a fixed internet connection. I did not expect the price to drop in the coming two years, and with current developments I expect to be right :D.
Nice. Good deal. I seriously doubt I can get anything that good here in the U.S.

Fact is, the plan AT&T made for the iPad 3G is a very good deal. Shame we can't get the same deal for laptops.

n1tut
Jan 8, 2011, 09:26 AM
Try putting CoolBook on, this is my first Mac, 11.6 basic, amazing machine, and as I have a Lotus Elise, aluminium and lightness are exactly what I want.

CoolBook has made a considerable difference to battery life with no drawbacks.

tut

Xeperu
Jan 8, 2011, 09:34 AM
Nice. Good deal. I seriously doubt I can get anything that good here in the U.S.

Fact is, the plan AT&T made for the iPad 3G is a very good deal. Shame we can't get the same deal for laptops.

Just looked up the AT&T data plans on the iPad. Man you yanks get owned.

1$ per meg of international data? Crazy! 25$ for 2 gb is pretty decent though. Thats even cheaper than here on most plans (13-14$ for 1Gb, additional 1Gb also 13-14$)

Sounds Good
Jan 8, 2011, 09:36 AM
25$ for 2 gb is pretty decent though.
Exactly. That's what I want for a laptop.

nateo200
Jan 8, 2011, 09:45 AM
On the note of the MacBook air vs iPad....I don't have the air but I have the MBP (almost got the air but my dad, mom, aunt, and every mac user outside of macrumors pressured me to get the pro so I just kept my pro and I plan on upgrading it soon) anyways its no comparison. I have an iPad as well and going from an ipad to a MacBook and there are some features on the MacBook that will NEVER be on the iPad just because its a tablet not a computer and I had a little trouble with that. Word processing is so much easier on a MBP than on an iPad, i for one enjoyed the touch screen but my MB's keyboard is 999x faster at typing.

Things like my tabs being refreshed when I switched sucked when I was typing up a giant post like this and needed to go to a website to find a hyper link and my entire post just disapeared were just not something I wanted to deal with for much longer, my iPad is now like the shared family web browsing device and my family enjoys it for there basic email/web browsing needs but even the lowest end MacBook air is just so much more functional for even moderately intensive computer things.:apple:

Just looked up the AT&T data plans on the iPad. Man you yanks get owned.

1$ per meg of international data? Crazy! 25$ for 2 gb is pretty decent though. Thats even cheaper than here on most plans (13-14$ for 1Gb, additional 1Gb also 13-14$)

Agreed. I also dislike how mobile phone and and 3G usb sticks have different pricing and how tethering your phones cost additional. If you ask me data is data and even if I use more on my MBP just put a limit then. Verizon charges like $50 a month for there cute little "4G" modem that works in like 10 citys 100's of miles from me...wtf. Just out of curiosity what do you guys get charged for on international roaming? Its utter rape here!

Xeperu
Jan 8, 2011, 11:20 AM
Just out of curiosity what do you guys get charged for on international roaming? Its utter rape here!

About 10 Euro per month to upgrade domestic unlimited to international unlimited for me.

nateo200
Jan 8, 2011, 11:22 AM
About 10 Euro per month to upgrade domestic unlimited to international unlimited for me.

Wow....somebody needs to out verizon in public and see what they say and why they are so much more expensive than there Euro counter parts...seriously it has nothing to do with quality because IMO you guys probably have faster networks with HSPA and what not..

Xeperu
Jan 8, 2011, 11:48 AM
Wow....somebody needs to out verizon in public and see what they say and why they are so much more expensive than there Euro counter parts...seriously it has nothing to do with quality because IMO you guys probably have faster networks with HSPA and what not..

28.8 Mbit 3G.

nateo200
Jan 8, 2011, 12:27 PM
28.8 Mbit 3G.

Yeah I figured...Verizon is MAX 3.1Mbit on 3G EVDO.

DarwinOSX
Jan 9, 2011, 12:59 AM
Ever since I have my 13" Air it;s the only computer I use. Even at home. My trusty i7 27" iMac is gathering dust, and my MBP is pretty much retired.

My i5 iMac went on eBay and my iPad is in danger of the same thing happening and I loved both of them.

bowlerman625
Jan 9, 2011, 01:07 AM
Congrats

miguueeel
Jan 9, 2011, 01:16 AM
I'm a college student too and I can't wait to buy one. I'm waiting till later in the month for financial reasons. I'm sick of my 15 inch ASUS G1S laptop with 15 minute battery life.

I'm going to turn the ASUS into a "desktop" and make the air my primary laptop/work computer.

Which model air and what specs did you get?
What do you use it for at school?

i know my old asus g1s had horrible battery like 1.5 hours, and it was a "gaming laptop" wtf?