Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Solafaa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
I would like to transfer a few files that in total are +1GIG over firewire or usb from my G5 PM to my friends PB. I know i can switch his PB off then switch it on and click "T", but i am looking for a way to do so without switching anything off. I always find stuff that i would like to send him and same with him and it would be much better for us if we did not have to switch off anything. Thanks.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
Solafaa said:
I would like to transfer a few files that in total are +1GIG over firewire or usb from my G5 PM to my friends PB. I know i can switch his PB off then switch it on and click "T", but i am looking for a way to do so without switching anything off. I always find stuff that i would like to send him and same with him and it would be much better for us if we did not have to switch off anything. Thanks.

The best way, hook a firewire cable up between the two macs. In the network preferences of both macs, turn off all other connections, like mine is except I have my Airport as the only connection. Click the New... on the right hand side and both make a network using built in firewire. When check to see what the ip of the mac that you want to get file FROM. Then on the mac that is RECIEVING the files, click on the Finder in the dock, and do an Apple+K on the keyboard to bring up a connection prompt. Then put in the ip of the mac that is giving the files and connect. I'm not sure if going through the network area of the Finder will have the two macs see eachother, that is why you do the Apple+K. I guess at this point you can put in your username and password so he can roam around on your mac to find the files. I guess there is a shared folder that can also be used, I forget right now.

To recap everything, go to network connections and just setup a firewire connection, you can then fiddle to see what works best for you. I just find it best to just have that connection the only one running, but I guess you can have other on at the same time with no problems.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 164
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.