Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrbash

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
I have an AFP mounted directory under /Volumes.
I mount the directory as a particular user.

I want to now give other users access to that directory but I get a permission denied.

The default permission is set to only let me read/write/execute on the directory, and even doing a chmod, I am unable to allow others access to it.

Is there perhaps a better way to mount a directory and every user access it?

Kasalic

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2011
Make a group containing the people you want to have access to the documents, then set the group folder to mount/dock automatically for users of this group. Then transfer the contents you want to share into this new shared folder.

That way you can keep personal documents private and share those documents you need to. Also if it's a work network you can add and remove users from the group as you need to, and they will be granted/denied access automatically.

As an example, both my partner and myself are on a charitable trust committee, so at home we have a family group which contains all the information for us both to access.

Hope this helps.

mrbash

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
Thanks for your suggestion, unfortunately that is not the problem.

I know my entries are correct under the automouter and the permissions are 775. But for some reason the server doesn't let other users access the share.

The NAS holding the shares is attached to the same OD as the as the OS X Server.

I suspect that it is a bug with OS X server, as other machines are able to correctly provide access to the shares.

I've given up on this, I don't believe this is a product Apple really supports anyways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.