PDA

View Full Version : MBA 11inch keyboard against screen

AntonisCy
Jan 7, 2011, 03:59 PM
Hello guys. Since i got my new MBA im afraid of closing the lid without using the factory keyboard layer fearing the keys may scratch the monitor. Am i being paranoid? Im sure the keyboard has been designed as to not touch the screen when its folded right?

Thanks

leowyatt
Jan 7, 2011, 04:01 PM
Just close it :) It'll be fine

maerz001
Jan 7, 2011, 04:48 PM
fore sure it's designed to work without the tissue

iRun26.2
Jan 7, 2011, 05:16 PM
I know what you mean. It is such a nice looking machine that you don't want to take any chances in marring it up. But remember, you should be able to use it normally. If it would get it marked up in that way you should get it fixed for free. Use it normally to find out if something like shows up. Don't wait until your warranty is up before you use it normally!

iRun26.2
Jan 7, 2011, 06:59 PM
Sorry for the doublepost.

ITASOR
Jan 7, 2011, 07:27 PM
The keyboard won't touch the screen unless there's pressure on the top (such as books in a backpack). Look at the Radtech Screensaverz to protect against this.

sunrisemusic
Jan 7, 2011, 08:45 PM
or just use a piece of slightly cut down A4 paper, like I do. Used to use that with an old G4 powerbook too - protect screen from finger grease, etc... cheaper than buying a commercial screen protector that does the same thing.

TMar
Jan 7, 2011, 10:21 PM
Under normal conditions the screen isn't going to touch the keyboard, even if they did there would have to be some type of sideways motion to be able to scratch the screen. You can take a razor and press it right onto the screen as long as you don't slide the cutting edge against the screen it isn't going to scratch.

Spyharpy
Jan 8, 2011, 12:00 AM
I use a microfiber keyboard cover (ScreenSavrs) from RadTech. You can use it to clean your screen as well. Had it for my 12" Powerbook and got it for my 13" Air. I also picked up the slip cover for it too.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s46/spyharpy/MacBook%20Air/radtech3.jpg

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s46/spyharpy/MacBook%20Air/radtech1.jpg

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s46/spyharpy/MacBook%20Air/radtech2.jpg

AntonisCy
Jan 8, 2011, 04:04 AM
thanks for the input guys

Mac32
Jan 8, 2011, 04:51 AM
You definately don't need screen protection between keyboard and screen on the MBA, and this comes from a person who uses screen protection every single time I take out my MBP 15'.

MikePA
Jan 8, 2011, 05:44 AM
Hello guys. Since i got my new MBA im afraid of closing the lid without using the factory keyboard layer fearing the keys may scratch the monitor. Am i being paranoid?

Yes.

Rami98
Jan 8, 2012, 11:37 AM
Yes you definitely should get something between the keyboard and screen. I bought the radtech screensavrz from the post a couple above me and am waiting for it to ship. I actually returned my macbook air to best buy and had them give me another one because the area between the keyboard and trackpad made 2 3-4 inch marks on the display that were permanent (meaning no matter how much you tried, you could not get them off of the display). Those marks actually affected the underlying LCD also because where the marks were, there was an area that looked similar to backlight bleeding where at one angle, the area where the marks were was noticeably lighter, and if you tilted it the other way, it was noticeably darker. Now, i keep the factory thing that was under the lid when i bought it on until the radtech ships.

mac jones
Jan 8, 2012, 11:50 AM
Definitely worrisome.

Also, make sure the light goes off in your refrigerator after it's closed. I mean, how do you know?

And these new keyless locks on your car? Forget it.

Robyr
Jan 8, 2012, 01:31 PM
Definitely worrisome.

Also, make sure the light goes off in your refrigerator after it's closed. I mean, how do you know?

And these new keyless locks on your car? Forget it.

LMFAO thanks for this.

NutsNGum
Jan 8, 2012, 02:33 PM
Second vote for the Radtech.

I had a problem with an 11" that I bought. After a few weeks, it developed a number of small pits in the screen that lined up with the top of the spacebar.

At least stick a bit of paper between the screen and the keys if you're going to be carrying it around with you.

GekkePrutser
Jan 8, 2012, 02:43 PM
I don't think you're paranoid. There's been several threads here with pictures showing both scratches and white marks (loss of contrast) caused by the metal ridge between the keyboard and trackpad.

Check this one: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1234731