Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edelhaus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
I have a relatively new iMac (Christmas 2009) and am trying to install windows 7 on boot camp but I get an error saying that windows must be installed on an NTFS partition... problem: I have no idea what that is or how to get it.

I thought maybe that has something to do with PAL vs. NTSC but both the iMac and the window 7 software were bought in Germany (where I live) so I just don't know.

Last year I also bought and installed Parallels on my iMac but never really used it. The reason I'd like to install windows is because I really need to learn AUTOCAD and it runs on windows.

I just mention it because I guess I have the option of using Parallels (though it still seems to have an old version of Vista on it and I can't get rid of it).

Uhg!! As you can see, I have no idea how to install windows properly and its kind of driving me crazy. :eek:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

lee14160

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2009
Fruitland, Idaho
Have you gone into the Boot Camp utilities and setup your HDD for use with Win 7? If not you need to do that first.

There are a set of instructions for installing boot camp on your Mac, I would highly recommend you print those out then read them to determine if that is what you want to do. If so follow those intstructions to the letter.

An ACAD program would run better within boot camp then in Parallels or Fusion.

Good Luck

edelhaus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
Instructions?

Hi, and thanks for responding. I am just using the boot camp that came with my computer, so it was already installed. Where would I find directions about how to change the HDD (is that the hard drive?) Anyway, I'll poke around some more...

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
That part confused me quite a bit too when I first installed windows on mine. What you need to do when that message comes up is click on the partition that you want to use for windows (should roughly match the size you made it with the bootcamp utility), then there should be an option to format it, and the installer will format that part to NTFS, and you can continue from there.

jace88

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney, Australia
Be very careful and make sure you are selecting the CORRECT boot camp partition before you FORMAT it into NTFS.

I agree though, the instructions were a bit vague and I too presumed that after setting the partition size in Boot Camp Assistant that I wouldn't need to format it using the Windows Installer. I couldn't figure out what was going wrong and eventually I bit the bullet and read the (***) manual!

edelhaus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
screen goes black

I got window 7 to begin installing but after the first reboot my screen went black. I left it that way for a couple of hours, thinking it would boot back up but it didn't. Finally, I googled what went wrong (on my macbook pro - not the imac) and found what seemed to be a solution (it also appears this is a problem specific to the 27 inch imac): it said I should power down my imac then reboot while holding down the alt key. This was supposed to restart the mac in ox mode but unfortunately, that didn't work for me. I've tried several times... I've also tried ejecting (the @@#$%##) windows cd but can't do that either. Now my beautiful computer is frozen. Help!

oasf

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2011
try to boot w. option held down and if that doesnt help, put the windows CD in and boot it with C

edelhaus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
windows cd is stuck in imac drive

I did check the bootcamp directions and figured out how to format the installation for ntsf. My windows 7 installation was about 3/4 through when my screen went black. The windows cd is stuck in the drive and my computer is in limbo land between microsoft and macintosh.

I'd like to finish installing windows in boot camp but obviously, I don't have any way to control my computer when the screen is unresponsive (or is there another way)? If I can't continue with the windows install (which would be a big drag because I need to use AutoCAD) I would at least like to have my pretty mac back. I also, don't know how to eject the window's cd (long anguished scream here).

What would booting it with C (assuming I knew how to do that) do? Doesn't the install of windows have to be complete in order for me to have the option to boot in another drive??

Is there a pinhole on the 27 inch imac somewhere to eject the cd? I have looked but cannot locate one.

help please.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.