Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jasmyne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2011
Hi all...

Im pretty new to apple so please forgive me if these seems obvious to all of you.

I want to buy some surround sound speakers for the living room. I'd like to be able to stream itunes to them with remote and use the multi room function.

What do I need to look for tech wise? Can I buy any and just use the airport express? Or... are there speakers you can buy that you can stream itunes to with Remote without having to buy airport express?

Many thanks...

I need UK links...

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Hi all...

Im pretty new to apple so please forgive me if these seems obvious to all of you.

I want to buy some surround sound speakers for the living room. I'd like to be able to stream itunes to them with remote and use the multi room function.

What do I need to look for tech wise? Can I buy any and just use the airport express? Or... are there speakers you can buy that you can stream itunes to with Remote without having to buy airport express?

Many thanks...

I need UK links...

If you buy the Airport Express you can use pretty much any receiver/speakers because it has both analog and digital audio output and it supports Airplay. You can get some of the new speakers with Airplay built in but it seems manufacturers are putting it only in their higher end models initially so it will be a bit more expensive.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
those links are for full blown stereos. there have also been several stand alone speaker systems some even battery powered announced at the CES show going on in las vegas at the moment. so if you wait a bit you could get a full package.

if you already have a stereo, you can get the express (or :apple:TV) and hook that up. as long as you have an existing wireless network, or can wire that location, you'll be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.