Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 13, 2004
UK
The Apple spec quotes:
"The Mac mini provides big screen resolutions whether you use a DVI or VGA monitor. For digital connections, you can set your display up to a widescreen resolution of 1920-by-1200. For VGA, see up to 1920-by-1080."

As the video card is a 32 mB ATI Radeon 9200, - is this enough at the highest resolutions for 2D graphics work, ie will it display with the maximum number of colours?
By my calculations a 1920 x 1200 screen at 32 bit colour needs 9mB of video memory, so it looks as if 32mB is more than adequate for, say Photoshop and Illustrator work. As I don't (and probably never will) play any games more demanding than Chopper I shouldn't need or want more, should I?

Advice from those who have experience most welcome. Thanks.

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
stevep said:
As the video card is a 32 mB ATI Radeon 9200, - is this enough at the highest resolutions for 2D graphics work, ie will it display with the maximum number of colours?

on my ibook, i could power a crt at 1600x1200 while spanning to the ibook screen at 1024x768 (using the spanning hack), and never had to adjust the color settings or anything. the only thing that became an issue was exposé (i don't really game at all) not showing all the frames of its animation (but it worked just as quickly). the video card in the mini should be fine for the things you seem to want to do.

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
Anyone else out there remember when resolutions and features such as those posted above where new and amazing?

Makes me feel like an old fart at 28!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.