Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 18, 2007
MD
Ok, so I'm not even sure this would be worth doing but I figure it's easy enough to ask the question.

So I have a 2Ghz Core Duo MacBook and the RAM has been maxed out (2GB) so increasing that for a speed boost isn't an option. I was thinking that maybe upgrading to a HDD/SSD hydrid drive would give me a nice speed boost. I decided against a solely SSD drive simply because of the cost.

Currently I have a Samsung HM320JI in my MacBook (5400rpm, 1.5Gb/s), and was thinking of replacing it with a Seagate ST95005620AS (500gb 7200rpm HD/4gb SSD hydrid drive, 3.0Gb/s). What kind of performance boost would I see with that?

Also, with drives like that, they're meant for you to just install the OS (and maybe a couple important applications) on the SSD, right?

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
Currently I have a Samsung HM320JI in my MacBook (5400rpm, 1.5Gb/s), and was thinking of replacing it with a Seagate ST95005620AS (500gb 7200rpm HD/4gb SSD hydrid drive, 3.0Gb/s). What kind of performance boost would I see with that?

Also, with drives like that, they're meant for you to just install the OS (and maybe a couple important applications) on the SSD, right?

On your last question not at all the SSD part of the drive acts as a cache to speed up the access to the hard drive part. The performance increase you will see would be from this caching if the information requested is in there, the increased density of the data on the new drive allowing the faster rotating heads to read it at a quicker rate. As to how much you will get in increased performance I have no data to give you an idea never having done it. You would get that by testing before/after it will increase in performance that is certain for the access to the drive just a 7200rpm plain drive will do that all on its own.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
Anything and everything that is I/O bound will be significantly faster with an SSD. Stuff that is processor/RAM bound will not.

In the big picture, adding a SSD is one of the best upgrades you can do. I added mine a month ago and it's given me a boost in productivity. Once you've used a SSD you will never want to go back to a HD.

I put everything on my SSD: OS, apps, user directory, iTunes library, Aperture and pictures...all of it.

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 18, 2007
MD
On your last question not at all the SSD part of the drive acts as a cache to speed up the access to the hard drive part. The performance increase you will see would be from this caching if the information requested is in there, the increased density of the data on the new drive allowing the faster rotating heads to read it at a quicker rate. As to how much you will get in increased performance I have no data to give you an idea never having done it. You would get that by testing before/after it will increase in performance that is certain for the access to the drive just a 7200rpm plain drive will do that all on its own.

Oh, I didn't realize they worked like that, in that case, maybe I can spare the expense for a true SSD drive. I think I could make due with 128gb, and just store all my movies on an external (just ordered an external 2.5" 1tb drive today). I've heard the Kingston V100 (I think that was it) is good, are there any others that are noteworthy?

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
Oh, I didn't realize they worked like that, in that case, maybe I can spare the expense for a true SSD drive. I think I could make due with 128gb, and just store all my movies on an external (just ordered an external 2.5" 1tb drive today). I've heard the Kingston V100 (I think that was it) is good, are there any others that are noteworthy?

Not sure but maybe you thinking the + series of them here is an review you may want to read with mention of the garbage collection feature you need to look for in a SSD if using it on OS X it features the + version of that drive.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4010/kingston-ssdnow-v-plus-100-review

Lbatson21

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Definately go for a real SSD. i've heard alot of people with issues running mac osx and the seagare momentus xt. Others have been fine and it is a good choice to still leave yourself alot of space and not break the bank. Personally though, I purchased the Intel X25-M and haven't looked back. Use a 2TB NAS to hold all media, mostly movies, but i still keep itunes and iphoto on the mac. Huge performance boost loading anything, starts up faster, and way more durable. My next one, if i decide i need more space, will probably be an OWC ssd. I've heard good things about them. You can wait for prices to drop, just like all technology, but i've really enjoyed mine

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
Not sure but maybe you thinking the + series of them here is an review you may want to read with mention of the garbage collection feature you need to look for in a SSD if using it on OS X it features the + version of that drive.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4010/kingston-ssdnow-v-plus-100-review
You can also just get a Sandforce-based SSD like the OWC Mercury Extreme Pro. Use it and be happy. You don't have to worry about trim, garbage collection and all that. These drives should perform great for as long as you're likely to use them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.