Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shasta McNasty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2010
Southern Cali
Just wanted to share that I returned the higher end 13.3" air at my local apple store. I figured that since I hopefully plan on keeping the air as my one and only for a long time to come I might as well upgrade it to the max. I was afraid about the restock fee but manager waived it after i explained my situation, even without having a receipt Extremely happy now! That is all :D

ozreth

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2009
Congrats! 2gb these days just dosen't make sense in the long run.

ESPECIALLY when it's un-upgradable. Talk about pigeonholing.

Shasta McNasty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2010
Southern Cali
So far i haven't really noticed a difference in terms of performance. Ill start to notice for sure when school starts again and i really get busy on it. I would have got it sooner but i was afraid of getting charged a restocking fee but luckily i wasn't. I plan on using this machine until the 2012 macbook airs come out, so i wanted to get it maxed out while i still could.

leowyatt

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2010
Merseyside
I think especially with the air if you can afford to get the ultimate you should. With the other ranges you can always upgrade at a later date.

I've had my ultimate now for nearly 2 weeks and it's the best machine I've ever used. It's not been used for anything massively taxing yet but hasn't missed a beat so far.

double329

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2008
Knowing that 2GB is fine for most part and not really need to upgrade the CPU, but I went ultimate anyway due to the fact that what ever you bought, you will be living with it for a while till you decide to upgrade again:D

Welcome to sucker club!!!

BTW: I love my MBA.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

sorry to rain on your parade but you will definitely be selling this to upgrade to a new one in 9 months when some new feature is released that you can't live without. For me that is USB3

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

steve is moving to USB3 as soon as intel does. I don't think intel will hold out much longer on that

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
sorry to rain on your parade but you will definitely be selling this to upgrade to a new one in 9 months when some new feature is released that you can't live without. For me that is USB3

If it's not USB3, it'll be the faster bus speed and processor, faster FS and faster RAM.

Shasta McNasty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2010
Southern Cali

Maybe I will maybe I won't. If they get usb3 I wouldn't care. Like another poster said, I've got a few seconds I could spare. In total I paid about $1418 for this laptop. So even when i sell it, I'd easily get all my money back and then some. I'll even offer a breakdown since I know it will be asked. I had a 2010 13" base uMBP I traded plus $160 on my end for the brand new higher end 13" air I had to someone on craigslist. So that put me at about $1200 total(I got the MacBook pro from microcenter for $999). I went to Apple and paid the difference of $218 to get the ultimate 13" so in total I spent $1418 as I mentioned. Great deal I believe :cool:

double329

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2008
The new version of anything will always be better then the current version. I wouldn't hold by breath on USB3. BlueRay has been around for many years now, Apple is still no where near it. As of right now, I enjoy my MBA and love using it every moment. Happy waiting :p

AMDGAMER

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
They had an ultimate version at apple store? I would have just picked one up had I know that!

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
The new version of anything will always be better then the current version. I wouldn't hold by breath on USB3. :p

Not necessarily. If it is just a ULV Sandy Bridge Core i5 without a discrete GPU (such as what is in the new Samsung notebook), arguably it would be a largely sideways move. Yes, the processor would be a nice boost, but likely not enough to justify replacing the current version. My plan is to wait until the Ivy Bridge version next year to replace my current "Ultimate" 13" model.

AMDGAMER

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
Thats great...I called my store and they didn't have an 4GB...I like ordering from the factory getting pre-install software all the updates etc...not bad choice but store is faster.

I'm not going for the "ultimate" thing myself. 300mhz is no way worth hundreds more (after SSD 256, etc). 128 SSD 4GB 1066 and core 2 at nearly 2ghz is all I need on a portable laptop.

Same thing I did with my AW desktop..I went AMD quad core, saved a few hundred over the i7 and it runs Crysis and every game I've ever thrown at it without a hiccup...Core i7 extreme was 1,000 bucks more....worth it? Heck no!

To each his own though, no disrespect to anyone who goes all out. I did that once, and it was cool...but I've had my fill.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009

I could live without it for a while. that'd be a luxury, not a necessity.

double329

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2008
Not necessarily. If it is just a ULV Sandy Bridge Core i5 without a discrete GPU (such as what is in the new Samsung notebook), arguably it would be a largely sideways move. Yes, the processor would be a nice boost, but likely not enough to justify replacing the current version.

I agreed 100%. Yes new version is better, but that does mean it is enough for everyone to justify and upgrade. Everyone has different level of upgrade justification. Some just wants to have the latest no matter what. What I am trying to get at is: if your current is at the point where you're not satisfied with what ever you are doing, then it might be time to upgrade. But, if you want to wait for the latest and the perfect laptop. I am just saying, keep waiting. Even, if you custom build the laptop with whatever the best today and money is no object. it is soon will be obsolete, something else will be developed, new technology will be better already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.