Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macwick

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2008
Hi there,

I have a camcorder that records at 1080i, 30fps. I'd like to export my iMovie projects with the optimum settings for the new ATV2.

First of all - I can't believe the 'Share -> Export Movie' menu hasn't been updated for the ATV2, even in iMovie 11. It still has the old ATV icon, and the max resolution is 960x540.

Anyway, I've always used 'Share -> Export using Quicktime'. Using that method, I'm wondering about options like:

*Frame rate: 30fps or 29.97fps?
*Key frames: Automatic, or Every X frames?
*Data Rate: I assume 'Automatic' is the best, rather than restricting it to a specific bitrate (something the old ATV required - 6000kbps max).
*Quality: Best, right??

Oh, and sound:
*Format: AAC is what I use now.
*Rate: 48kHz is my current setting.
*MPEG4 AAC LC Encoder Settings: 160kbps is my current setting.

Thanks in advance. I'm about to re-export several dozen home movies for the new ATV2, so I want the best possible picture/sound quality.

iRabbit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2007
Long Island, NY
I'd like to know the answer to this too... I recently exported out of iMovie and ended up with a lot of posterization in my video (both on YouTube and ATV2 - but much worse on ATV2).

I'm trying different settings, but if anyone has an idea of the best way to do this and can share, I'd love to hear it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.