PDA

View Full Version : With Sandy Bridge on the horizon...




Eclipse2xx
Jan 8, 2011, 08:21 PM
Should I wait before purchasing a mac laptop? I was specifically looking at the 13 inch. macbook air. Thanks!



Lurchdubious
Jan 8, 2011, 08:25 PM
Should I wait before purchasing a mac laptop? I was specifically looking at the 13 inch. macbook air. Thanks!

Probably not, if you're waiting for the Air. …unless you are ok with waiting several months. They just refreshed the Air.

Eclipse2xx
Jan 8, 2011, 08:27 PM
How long of a wait would you estimate the wait to be?

Buck987
Jan 8, 2011, 08:31 PM
How long of a wait would you estimate the wait to be?


4 -6 months

zulumonk
Jan 8, 2011, 08:33 PM
There's really noway to tell, but you should feel okay with purchasing one now.

Stuart in Oz
Jan 8, 2011, 08:42 PM
Mind you, the low-power laptop models are the first to ship, releasing this week. The higher-spec i5 and the i7 models for desktop use aren't coming until the second half of the year.

The Air could see an early upgrade if Apple think the power performance of the new chips is sufficiently better. SB might let them use only the on-chip graphics in the air for a considerable power saving.

Shasta McNasty
Jan 8, 2011, 08:46 PM
The air was just refreshed in October. Dont expect it to happen any time sooner than then. If anything, wait for the new macbook pros if you want to see what happens in the shortest amount of wait time.

Eclipse2xx
Jan 8, 2011, 08:54 PM
I like the Pro too, but its just a tad on the beavy side.

Shasta McNasty
Jan 8, 2011, 08:55 PM
Then get the air and enjoy it. You'll always lose in the latest and greatest technology game because something better willmalways be on the horizon. Until you can accept that, you'll never be happy.

Eclipse2xx
Jan 8, 2011, 09:04 PM
Then get the air and enjoy it. You'll always lose in the latest and greatest technology game because something better willmalways be on the horizon. Until you can accept that, you'll never be happy.


Thanks. I just didn't want to buy one and look like a moron if it were to be updated a month later.

Eclipse2xx
Jan 8, 2011, 09:22 PM
One more quick question if you guys wouldn't mind (I also didn't want to start a new thread so I'll post it here)

I'm guessing this is the older version of the mac book air?

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MacBook-MC234LL-13-3-Inch-Laptop/dp/B002C747XA/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1294543161&sr=1-6

If so, what are the main differences between that one and this one...

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MacBook-MC504LL-13-3-Inch-Laptop/dp/B0047DVW30/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1294543161&sr=1-3

other than the specs. Thanks!

KPOM
Jan 8, 2011, 10:25 PM
One more quick question if you guys wouldn't mind (I also didn't want to start a new thread so I'll post it here)

I'm guessing this is the older version of the mac book air?

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MacBook-MC234LL-13-3-Inch-Laptop/dp/B002C747XA/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1294543161&sr=1-6

If so, what are the main differences between that one and this one...

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MacBook-MC504LL-13-3-Inch-Laptop/dp/B0047DVW30/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1294543161&sr=1-3

other than the specs. Thanks!


The new MacBook Air has 2 USB ports, an SD card slot, a higher resolution screen, and a glass touchpad. It also has better heat management, meaning the processor doesn't throttle down as much. The new Air is also available with a 256GB SSD. Finally, you can get a new Air equipped with 4GB, but only at the time of purchase (it's soldered on and can't be expanded).

halledise
Jan 9, 2011, 12:37 AM
Should I wait before purchasing a mac laptop? I was specifically looking at the 13 inch. macbook air. Thanks!

no.

buy now; 4gb memory.

be happy for at least 12 months :D

Eclipse2xx
Jan 9, 2011, 12:49 AM
Is there a difference between buying from Apple.com or amazon? I found this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0048807AI/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A33Y0YQUZ2NYD5

and without tax, its cheaper than getting it from Apple. Thanks.

DarwinOSX
Jan 9, 2011, 12:50 AM
As others have said buy now. These are some awesome laptops and you won't regret it. I would not expect a new MBA anytime soon.

tom vilsack
Jan 9, 2011, 01:53 AM
check apples refurb site first

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac?mco=OTY2ODY3Nw

Gen
Jan 9, 2011, 09:20 AM
Is there a difference between buying from Apple.com or amazon? I found this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0048807AI/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A33Y0YQUZ2NYD5

and without tax, its cheaper than getting it from Apple. Thanks.

Go with Amazon, no tax is awesome

jamesryanbell
Jan 9, 2011, 10:14 AM
As others have said buy now. These are some awesome laptops and you won't regret it. I would not expect a new MBA anytime soon.

This is the answer.

Eclipse2xx
Jan 9, 2011, 04:40 PM
Can someone tell me the going rate for the 13 inch MBA (4GB Ram/128GB)?

fyrefly
Jan 9, 2011, 09:28 PM
Can someone tell me the going rate for the 13 inch MBA (4GB Ram/128GB)?

$1399 USD?

http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MC503LL/A

I could see them Updating the MBA by WWDC in June, but not before that. If not in WWDC then again in the Fall.

The MBP's will get Sandy Bridge sometime between Feb-April ('cause they've rarely gone more than 8 months w/o an update, but it's already going on 9+ months since the last update in April 2010).

2IS
Jan 9, 2011, 09:59 PM
Depends on your usage. If you're going to be doing a lot of photo/video editing you might be better off until an i5 refresh is available. If you're mainly looking for an ultra portable laptop for web browsing and office applications with photo/video as a secondary concern, which was the case for me, the current crop of Core 2 Duo's are more than adequate. Just be sure you get it with 4GB RAM.

Beau10
Jan 10, 2011, 02:22 PM
As someone with an early 2k8 MBP, I have toyed with picking up the latest air. I've chosen to hold on a bit longer until SB, but if I were Mac-less there would be no question.

Apple machines have great resale. If you chose the sell the MBA and decide to upgrade to the SB machine in 6-9 months your loss on resale would likely be no more than a few hundred.

iRun26.2
Jan 10, 2011, 03:37 PM
Apple machines have great resale. If you chose the sell the MBA and decide to upgrade to the SB machine in 6-9 months your loss on resale would likely be no more than a few hundred.

I really find that hard to believe. Someone would want to take the chance on a used MBA instead of spending $200 more and getting the latest and greatest brand new?