PDA

View Full Version : iBook Screen Trashed...

sethwerkheiser
Jan 28, 2005, 11:57 PM
Unfortuantly I found out today how much it cost to replace an iBook screen: $750. This afternoon my wife placed the iBook on top of my bass cabinet. She turned around, and it crashed to the floor. A good four feet. Crash. I came inside from taking out the recycling to my dear wife crying hysterically at the site of now blackend screen. I got it to life, but only with a crazy, sick display. Sure enough - the display is dead. A quick call to Applecare gave me the quote of $750 to replace the screen.

So we took the her machine and mine to the Apple store in Soho. A great employee helped us transfer tons of files from the G3 to the G4 (though the screen is shot, the computer works fine otherwise). MY wife, though, is quite bummed. We've both had our own laptops since May of 2004, so these machines are a part of our lives. She uses it for school. For making money on eBay. For relaxation. She is SO bummed. Devasted.

Our options now:
1. Buy a screen on eBay and attempt to swap 'em out. Eeek.
2. Buy an older iBook on eBay. That'd be my own machine, Lydia would inherit this G4.
3. Buy a NEW iBook. Maybe. Maybe....

Boy, Macrumors gang - I'm bummed. Not just for the dead screen (duh) but my wife has been beating herself up over this. It was a pure accident. The bass cabinet wasn't on or nothing. It just slipped off somehow. Blah... I need a hug! haha

Duff-Man
Jan 29, 2005, 12:06 AM
Duff-Man says....very unfortunate accident and always bound to make someone feel bad....but think of it as an opportunity (excuse?) to upgrade to a nice newer model :D (if your wallet allows for it)....oh yeah!

maya
Jan 29, 2005, 12:12 AM
There is no reason to beat oneself upon an accident since accidents do happen.

And you did get the important files from the HDD so that is not a big deal.

You can always use this notebook with an external screen or buy a Mac mini or maybe the 12" iBook.

I would not bother replacing the screen. Its time for a change something new even though if its used. :)

sjpetry
Jan 29, 2005, 12:30 AM
Sorry about that. :(

Don't worry every will be better than it was before. You'll have a new Mac (if you can afford it). :)

mkrishnan
Jan 29, 2005, 12:36 AM
You may also be able to eBay it to someone who might want to use it for an unusual purpose, or want to swap the screen out themselves. Considering that $750 is more than a new iBook G3 would cost, you never know....you might be able to get some money that would contribute to a new iBook G4 that way. If you get even $200, you figure, adding the $750 you'd pay to fix it, you're back at the cost of a new low-end G4....

Solafaa
Jan 29, 2005, 12:39 AM
Somebody is going to get a hurt.

Well thats a horrible accident, i would try to buy something of ebay or look for an upgrade.

mkrishnan
Jan 29, 2005, 12:45 AM
Somebody is going to get a hurt.

I'm not saying who, but I think you know him really well! :D Is that a Russell Peters reference? :D :D :D

Seth, you could also sell Sigamy the ram out of that iBook, since she's looking for some in another thread that came up in the new posts when I clicked this one. Small start towards paying for a G4. ;)

Solafaa
Jan 29, 2005, 01:04 AM
:D Is that a Russell Peters reference? :D :D :D Somebody, (who?) somebody will get a hurt *wave fist in face*.

Ya it is him, really funny guy.

jtown
Jan 29, 2005, 03:18 AM
Buy a replacement screen on ebay and do the swap yourself. Assuming you're talking about the dual USB white ibook, take out the four screws on the sides (two on each side) and pop off the cover (white part). The relevant screws are pretty obvious, as is the cable going to the panel and the backlight power plug. It took me about 30 minutes with no instructions.

There's a 12" LCD panel on ebay at $76 right now with two days to go. Make sure you look for all possible combos when searching. "ibook LCD" "ibook display" "ibook screen", etc. Search the entire site. The best deal will be the one in the wrong category with a misspelled title.

bigandy
Jan 29, 2005, 04:21 AM
if you plunge for replacing the screens, pm me - i have a friend who works as an apple engineer, so can get the relevant Apple Service Guides, making it easy for you to do it.

sorry to hear about it, it's heartbreaking isn't it? when it's an apple product that is. i'm using a dell laptop right now, and it's so flimsy and crap, i feel like dropping it on purpose.

if you get another laptop, INSURE it. laptop insurance doesn't cost the earth and is really worth it for when stuff like this happens. don't bother with insurance for a desktop though...

sethwerkheiser
Jan 29, 2005, 08:54 AM
Wow, everyone. Thanks for the replies. My wife is doing much better now, and I think she knows now not to put a computer on top of a SKB case like that from now on :) . But I think we're leaning towards picking up a new one. We got almost $300 in cash, so we'd only have to finance $600-$800 for a new iBook + Applecare.

Sigh.

sethwerkheiser
Jan 29, 2005, 09:18 AM
Here's the evidence. Heh.
http://photos3.flickr.com/3946856_f135f35d4e_m.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sethw/3946856/

And when we were at the Apple store moving files from one iBook to another, another Apple employee came over (in front of my still teary-eyed wife) and said, "Wow, I like your background!" Ummm...

And two other customers tried to actually PLAY with this broken computer, thinking it was on display. Duh...

sjpetry
Jan 29, 2005, 10:25 AM
If someone didn't know the screen was broken it does look like a cool background. Is their any damage to the back of the screen? I hope you can fix it.

sethwerkheiser
Jan 29, 2005, 12:05 PM
If someone didn't know the screen was broken it does look like a cool background. Is their any damage to the back of the screen? I hope you can fix it.

Yea, you're right, it does look kidna neat, but not $750 neat ;)

But I don't see any visable damage to the back of the screen. I'm not sure if I will fix it. It's only got one more year left on Apple Care coverage, and a newer iBook would (possibly bought today) would really calm the nerves of my dear wife.

moot
Jan 29, 2005, 12:24 PM
I feel for you.

This might be no comfort, but I have a friend who had her screen broken. (I think something fell onto her notebook)

She shelled out $1000 for a new screen. Crazy, especially when it was a Toshiba. She wouldnt listen to any of my advice to just go out and buy a new ibook. :confused:

I hope you make the right decision what to do.

deral
Jan 29, 2005, 01:19 PM
:confused: I was in the exact situation once with my iBook a several years back, and I was so desperate that I paid for the $750. :(

The funny thing is, the last time I sent my iBook for a repair on the microphone, they replaced the LCD (didn't even ask) for free (*well for applecare cost)

Chip NoVaMac
Jan 29, 2005, 03:16 PM
Sorry to hear about the loss.

Maybe you could use it as the son of the Mac mini? Just connect a VGA screen, and run with as a spare machine. Maybe a local Apple Tech shop (not the Apple Store people AFAIK) to remove the screen if that option sounds good to you. In the least you have a computer that would be good to use for Fold@Home. :)

sethwerkheiser
Jan 29, 2005, 10:30 PM
Maybe you could use it as the son of the Mac mini? Just connect a VGA screen, and run with as a spare machine. Maybe a local Apple Tech shop (not the Apple Store people AFAIK) to remove the screen if that option sounds good to you. In the least you have a computer that would be good to use for Fold@Home. :)

We're totally doing this! Hah. We're probably going to give it to my wifes parents, as they already have an old HP monitor, keyboard, and mouse. It'll be an ugly Mini (!), but yea, maybe I'll see about removing the screen.

BTW - we ordered a new iBook tonite; 512RAM, 60GB HD... should be here by this weekend.

erickg
Jan 30, 2005, 02:24 AM
We had somebody sit (and crack) the screen of my wife's Pismo (who had bought it for something like 30000 Swedish crowns, or about 3500-4000 USD back in the day!), but luckily only had to pay about 200 USD to get the new screen installed as it was covered by our home insurance! Otherwise the repair was going to be something like 14000 SEK (or 1800 USD)!

Anyway, congratulations on your new iBook! We just got our new 12" iBooks and they perform wonderfully... :)

Also, I don't remember the links, but I believe it's possible to run the iBook in clamshell mode by changing the video cards firmware (i.e. the video card supports this, but Apple has taken away this option to differentiate Powerbooks and iBooks). Would look a lot nicer running the iBook closed than running an iBook without screen IMO. I'm sure there's more info on this on the macrumors forums.

ps I just found a link for clamshell mode/screen-spanning on ibook:

http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html

Visit their forum and read about it before you actually decide to do it, as I'm not sure this is reversible.