Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrew34kay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2004
Hi all,

I have two g3 b/w computers. one works and one doesnt. the one that works has a 300Ghz cpu, and the broken one has a 400mhz cpu. i tried switching the two, but when the faster one (400) cpu is in, the system freezes and mont boot. it is very confusing to me, but anyway, the after messing with it, but the cpus back to their original computers and turned on the g3 that has a 300ghz cpu, i forgot to change the blocks, so the 300mhz cpu was running at 400mhz! kind of cool i overclocked without knowin it. :) the system seems to be running fine, in fact i definetly see a BIG difference bewteen the 100mhz speed. but my two questions are: 1. should i add a fan for the overslocked cpu? 2. I believe that 400mhz cpu has 1mb back side cache? right, and the 300mgz has 512kb. both logic boards are rev. 2 FYI. Thanks for all your replys.

-Andrew

HeWhoSpitsFire

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2004
Oregon
You should definitely get another fan.

Previous experience with my beige G3(s) tells me a fan will help. But look out for I/O errors with your ram. Being as the proc multiplier affects the ram bus speed.

Adjust your J12(I think) jumper block to a more appropriate setting(google it). The 400 is expecting more than what the 300 had to offer. Although it's basically the same chip, the 400 works on a higher scale than the 300 (1st v. 2nd rev chip)

That is of course, I haven't switched procs in a B/W.

I hope that provides some light to your prob.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.