PDA

View Full Version : 2GB of RAM inside Mac Mini

TyleRomeo
Jan 29, 2005, 11:06 AM
Anyone put a 2GB stick inside the mac mini yet?

Tyler

Jo-Kun
Jan 29, 2005, 11:09 AM
Anyone put a 2GB stick inside the mac mini yet?

Tyler

too soon I guess ;) Mac mini is supposed to be a cheap system, adding 2GB will change that idea :p

and 2GB chips are quite expensive, but I think the mini will support it...

miloblithe
Jan 29, 2005, 12:06 PM
I have to say the one ram slot limitation is my only real disapointment about the mini. Really inconvenient.

CanadaRAM
Jan 29, 2005, 12:24 PM
Apple has said they will certify 2 GB modules at some point in the future. The real problem is that most 2 Gb modules use stacked chips, and I would bet will not physically fit inside the Mini because the module would be too thick. (Same problem with 1 Gb modules with heat spreaders, which won't fit in the Mini or the iMac G5).

Many 2 Gb modules are extra tall as well, which also means they will not fit. We're looking for non-stacked, 1.2" tall modules to test in our soon-to-arrive Minis.

Ordinary 2 Gb modules look like about US$800 - $900 at present, but check out this one for a Dell server: http://www.crucial.com/search/srchrslt.asp?keywords=CT402854&type=All&ANDOR=AND&rowcount=20&cv=Crucial&submit=Go
What kills me is the 99 cents tacked on the end of the price...

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

maya
Jan 29, 2005, 12:25 PM
too soon I guess ;) Mac mini is supposed to be a cheap system, adding 2GB will change that idea :p

and 2GB chips are quite expensive, but I think the mini will support it...

I disagree, if Apple placed a firmware limit on the mini to only support 1024MB of ram it will not see anymore.

Then again there have been instances where some iBooks have accepted more ram then advertised by Apple. However granted that the mini is a budget Mac it might have the limit on the ram. Unless you want to experiment. :)

maya
Jan 29, 2005, 12:27 PM
I have to say the one ram slot limitation is my only real disapointment about the mini. Really inconvenient.

You get what you pay for. ;) :)

At present 1024MB of ram is a lot for a home user, if you need more than that I suggest you upgrade to the iMac G5 or PMG5 SP. :)

maya
Jan 29, 2005, 12:29 PM
Apple has said they will certify 2 GB modules at some point in the future. The real problem is that most 2 Gb modules use stacked chips, and I would bet will not physically fit inside the Mini because the module would be too thick. (Same problem with 1 Gb modules with heat spreaders, which won't fit in the Mini or the iMac G5).

Many 2 Gb modules are extra tall as well, which also means they will not fit. We're looking for non-stacked, 1.2" tall modules to test in our soon-to-arrive Minis.

Ordinary 2 Gb modules look like about US$800 - $900 at present, but check out this one for a Dell server: http://www.crucial.com/search/srchrslt.asp?keywords=CT402854&type=All&ANDOR=AND&rowcount=20&cv=Crucial&submit=Go
What kills me is the 99 cents tacked on the end of the price...

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

I don't think it will be an issue since in a year you can count on the mini being updated at least once, it might support more ram might not. This is Apple we are talking about so its hard to say even if they stated otherwise. :)

Though I don't believe home users need more than 1024MB at present. :)

TyleRomeo
Jan 29, 2005, 12:31 PM
I disagree, if Apple placed a firmware limit on the mini to only support 1024MB of ram it will not see anymore.

where do you have that evidence?

Tyler

maya
Jan 29, 2005, 12:35 PM
where do you have that evidence?

Tyler

Apple has done this on all its hardware, its no secret. If you look at the PMG5 it can support 16GB or ram however its limited at present to 8GB, though the documentation say otherwise. :)

Peyote
Jan 29, 2005, 12:50 PM

I just read an article the other day showing a RAM upgrade with heat spreader on it installed in a Mac mini. It fit.

musicpyrite
Jan 29, 2005, 01:05 PM
There have been many instances of Apple saying product X doesn't support more than X amount of RAM.

Take for instance the iMac G4. It could accommodate up to 1.5 GB of RAM with out taking it apart, or if you wanted to replace both sticks, 2 GB total. Yet Apple only offered a maximum of 1 GB on it's BTO order page.

Apple says the PM G5 can accommodate a maximum of up to 8 GB of RAM, but in reality it can use 2 GB sticks, making a total of 16 GB. Apple does this because they think it is illogical to spend $3,000 on a PM and spend $28,000 on RAM. (using the RAM from curcial as an example, even though the PM doesn't support DDR2 I was too lazy to check the price of a regular DDR stick.... if any exist :( )

jxyama
Jan 29, 2005, 01:17 PM
Apple has done this on all its hardware, its no secret. If you look at the PMG5 it can support 16GB or ram however its limited at present to 8GB, though the documentation say otherwise. :)

i think you are incorrect. apple lists the max. RAM supported in any documentations based on the RAM modules commonly available at the time. i have never seen any evidence that apple actually modifies any part of the hardware/software/firmware to limit the max. RAM.

my 12" PB rev. A is listed as having the max. RAM of 640 MB since at the time of production, 1 GB SODIMM was not readily available. but it's now a well established fact that i can put 1 GB RAM in and it will be recognized.

PM G5 has 4 or 8 memory slots and since the availability of 2 GB RAM modules aren't yet what apple considers to be "widely available," the limits are listed at 4 and 8 GB, using 1 GB RAMs. there is no modification to the firmware, as far as i know. if you have a firm evidence to support your claim, i'd like to see it because it's not "it's no secret" like you are claiming it to be.

ReanimationLP
Jan 29, 2005, 01:47 PM
PC3200 RAM Modules that are 2 GB in size are 900 a piece, or 7,000 for 16 GB of RAM. Talk about doing one hell of a FCP project. :D :eek:

TyleRomeo
Jan 29, 2005, 02:09 PM

jxyama is right on. apple only lists their max and thats usually a reasonable ($) max.

if the open market charges $150 for 1GB and $600 for a 2GB DDR2700 stick imagine what apple would charge for it. And why would apple spend time modifing their hardware to prevent using larger and less expensive ram in the future? doesnt make any sense. Apple does the same with their hard drives. The only offer a certain amount. Take the G5. They say you can have 2x250GB drives. Buy you can put in 2x500GB drives if you want. and in the future 2x10 TB drives in if you want.

Tyler