Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwkelso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2011
Hello all:

I've recently purchased my first Mac (the new 13.3 inch air model). I seem to be having a bit of a problem with wireless networking, though. It seems that my Mac will reconnect to my wireless network perfectly after resuming from sleep mode just fine for a few days, but after those few days, it will mysteriously stop being able to get an IP address from the DHCP server (my wireless router). My PC is able to connect to the network just fine and always seems to be able to get a new address, but the Mac just loses the ability. I have found that the only way I can get the Mac to start grabbing an IP address from the router is by going into the router settings and changing the RIP mode to a value other than what it currently shows. I generally try to stay in RIP_2B mode, but I change it to some other random value whenever it stops connecting.

Any tips you can give are greatly appreciated!

-- An appreciative new Mac owner

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Do you have this issue only when you flip the lid open from a sleep mode AKA: "Instant On" or does it fail to get an IP address even after doing an actual restart? Also, what if you turn Airport off and back on again, are you able to obtain an IP address then?

jwkelso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2011
Hi and thanks for the fast reply. I don't typically do a hard restart on the Macbook until after it fails to get the IP. As such, I've only experienced it upon the 'Instant On'. The hard restart does not, however, correct the IP problem. Turning AirPort off and back on does not correct the issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.