Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geekknew12

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Hello 2011

Hi its been a long time to post something here.

I Finally got a camera i want Canon rebel t2i eos. i love how the camera takes pictures and edit it Iphone '11.

Now i am talking about video feature.

I am recording day and night videos. I force and make the image clear before i record.

but when i go on my mac i download the cd it came with.

i have

Imovie 11
Final cut express
MPEG streamclip
Quicktime 7
Mac 10.6.6

Can someone help how to Get my wedding videos, nature, tv series episode Hd 1080 on imovie or final cut
i want the dots to go and i want clear hd video thank u

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
those dots are called Noise. that noise is what happens when your ISO is too high. you'll be able to play with it a big, but you're kinda screwed.

geekknew12

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
those dots are called Noise. that noise is what happens when your ISO is too high. you'll be able to play with it a big, but you're kinda screwed.

so what is your option to fix this. i know iso 100-6400

i am shooting a movie at 9pm with the street light pointing at me.

should i put it 800 or less

geekknew12

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
It's not perfect, but it's completely amazing:

http://www.neatvideo.com/

For the future, invest in faster lenses for night. Past 800ISO the grain gets quite gnarly with the t2i.

i am making a small video promo at night time and i heard that the higher the iso is will show more of the image.

the less the darker but i want is to make the image good and see clear

Policar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2004
At night outdoors? In that case you probably want to bring lights. It all depends on what you're shooting, of course.

The ISO makes the image brighter but also adds more noise, and it can get very chunky in video mode.

The t2i is relatively clean (not too noisy) up to about 400ISO and acceptable to about 1600, in my opinion. The link above offers noise reduction software that softens your image a bit but also gets rid of the grain (makes it cleaner and smoother). I use it a lot and like it, but it does soften your image and make it look a bit "plastic" if used injudiciously.

If you reduce the shutter speed to 1/30 of a second and get a faster lens (as fast as possible, f1.4 or f1.8 or something) that will do a lot to improve your low light video, but it will also make focusing harder because of the shallow depth of focus.

Sorry, that's about all the help I can offer. If you're hoping to work as a professional wedding or event videographer, I might recommend checking out the EX1 instead. Also very light sensitive, not too much grain, and autofocus, proper audio inputs, etc. Works well. Overall, the t2i is rather good for low light. Older video cameras were often just awful.

Dale Campbell

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2009
If you reduce the shutter speed to 1/30 of a second and get a faster lens (as fast as possible, f1.4 or f1.8 or something) that will do a lot to improve your low light video, but it will also make focusing harder because of the shallow depth of focus.

Be careful when reducing the shutter speed if you are using artificial lights like street lamps.
Depending on the mains electricity frequency in your country you will get some horrible flickering.
I am in the UK so 1/50 1/100 etc work as the mains current is 50hz.
In the US I think it is 60hz which will mean 1/60 1/120 etc. (1/30 would be ok in that situation).
Check what it is in your country then use that to set the shutter.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Hi,

As you've spent the money to get a decent DSLR, I would seriously consider investing the time to get a proper understanding of the principals of photography, specifically shutter speed, aperture (and depth of field), ISO and perhaps white balance. Once you get to understand the effect of each of those, you get to take the pictures you want, not what the camera wants. I know you're taking video here, but many of the principals (and limitations) are the same.

In photography, you're always trading off one setting against another - it's worth getting to know the effect each change you make to the camera will make.

You'll also enjoy your photography and videoing much, much more - I guarantee it.

Good luck!

Last edited:

jwheeler

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2010
As you've spent the money to get a decent DSLR, I would seriously consider investing the time to get a proper understanding of the principals of photography......

In photography, you're always trading off one setting against another - it's worth getting to know the effect each change you make to the camera will make.

You'll also enjoy your photography and videoing much, much more - I guarantee it.
I second this. :)

Policar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2004
Be careful when reducing the shutter speed if you are using artificial lights like street lamps.
Depending on the mains electricity frequency in your country you will get some horrible flickering.
I am in the UK so 1/50 1/100 etc work as the mains current is 50hz.
In the US I think it is 60hz which will mean 1/60 1/120 etc. (1/30 would be ok in that situation).
Check what it is in your country then use that to set the shutter.

Yup. Multiples of 1/120hz (half a sine wave) for magnetic ballasts in the US. That would be 1/120, 1/60, 1/48 (not available on the t2i), and 1/30.

I sometimes assume everyone online lives in the US (typical behavior for most US citizens); the above should be correct (multiples of 1/100hz) for the UK. Speaking of night shoots, I love the summer light in the UK late at night or early morning.

To the OP, don't worry about everyone piling on about technical knowledge. Shoot one great photo or secure one killer gig and that will silence them (not that technical knowledge isn't valuable, even essential if it's your job to have it; it's just not the end-all be-all of photography and filmmaking). It would help if we knew what you were shooting, though, and what your budget is; then we could suggest appropriate lights, lenses, etc.

Last edited:

zblaxberg

Jan 22, 2007
so what is your option to fix this. i know iso 100-6400

i am shooting a movie at 9pm with the street light pointing at me.

should i put it 800 or less

You need like 200-400 for complete grain free video at night. You also need a lens that is a f/1.4 or f/1.2

You can't just go out and shoot night video with a DSLR you need to invest in some pretty expensive lenses.

FroColin

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2008
You need like 200-400 for complete grain free video at night. You also need a lens that is a f/1.4 or f/1.2

You can't just go out and shoot night video with a DSLR you need to invest in some pretty expensive lenses.
I find that 800 is acceptable as well.
And you don't NEED f/1.4 or f/1.2 if you light well or if your okay with grainy images, you can also have your images just be fairly dark. If you can get your subject lit then maybe you don't need to see the background. You can get just about anything to work with whatever you have now, at this point don't go out and spend 2 grand on a f/1.2 lens until you know why you want one, what it will do, and how your camera works etc.

Good luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.