PDA

View Full Version : Download PDF from email to app

medasmx
Jan 10, 2011, 08:26 AM
I have been looking for information regarding this issue, without finding much. What I did find related to changing the info.plist to allow use of PDF files.

The only file type that is easily transferred to and from the mail program is images, through the camera. I am manipulating PDF files using quartz and would like to know how to use email to download, edit, then email.

Thanks for any suggestions.

dejo
Jan 10, 2011, 09:59 AM
Using the iOS SDK APIs, all you can do with email is just create an message (it is still left to the user to actually send it). You cannot access the user's pre-existing email messages. Now, if you wanted to create your own POP/IMAP client, that might do it but would be a whole lotta work.

medasmx
Jan 10, 2011, 03:32 PM
What about in iPad. When you tap on a PDF file it asks, "open with..." I think iBooks, quickLook and a few others come up. Can you open PDF files from email into an app using the iPad?

Thanks.

dejo
Jan 10, 2011, 03:48 PM
Ah, you'll need to implement support for custom file types then. See the Implementing Common Application Behaviors (http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/iPhone/Conceptual/iPhoneOSProgrammingGuide/StandardBehaviors/StandardBehaviors.html) of the iOS Application Programming Guide.