Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

josinaumi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2011
Hello all. I have a persistent problem with my ipad and can't figure out what's wrong with it. So, i have a home N network working through a netgear router, which is in my bedroom. Currently attached to the network is a Samsung LN internet enabled TV, an Apple TV (2nd generation) and 2 Airport Expresses used as Airtunes stations. In addition, i have a 5.1 surround sound systems installed with wireless rear speakers that are in my living room.
The problem i have with my ipad is that my internet connection on the ipad sometimes disappears. The status bar in the upper left hand corner shows it to be fully connected (as well as in settings) but if i open safari (or an app, or email) it just doesnt load until it times out and tells me that i'm not connected to the internet. Everytime this happens (once every 2 hours) i have to reboot my ipad (and/or reboot my modem and router) for it to work again. Similarly, for airplay (i should have 2 express stations showing up), the express stations connected to the internet appear on the ipad only at the beginning, after the reboot. after a while they disappear, and if i want to stream music and i have to reboot again.
Strangely enough, i dont have any of these problems with my laptop at all. Similarly, i dont have this issue my ipad when I am in some other network outside of my home. So, it is clearly an issue between my home network settings and my ipad.
It drives me crazy. can anyone help me figure out what the problem here might be? THANKS!!!!!

pcunite

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2010
What is happening to me is that if I have Atomic web browser or another app open for 5 minutes or so without sending data over wifi the connection just drops. I have to hit the home button again and relaunch the app to reconnect to my router. Using the iPad 16 wifi only on 4.2.1.

josinaumi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2011
Solved

I think I solved the issue described above: I set my router (Belkin actually, not Netgear) so serve only the 20Mhz channel, instead of the 20/40Mhz channel. The ipad now doesnt seem to get "confused" anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.