PDA

View Full Version : Best way to get out of AT&T contract?

edtorious
Jan 10, 2011, 03:55 PM
I'm just curious, what is the best way for me to get out of AT&T contract? Or how much ETF do I have to pay when I just upgraded last year of August for another 2 years? I know that it's still not sure if iPhone will go to Verizon but if they do announce it tomorrow, I'm thinking of switching. :cool:

r.j.s
Jan 10, 2011, 03:57 PM
You need to call them to figure out what your ETF will be. No one here can tell you exactly.

grapes911
Jan 10, 2011, 03:59 PM
You need to call them to figure out what your ETF will be. No one here can tell you exactly.

This. Alternatively, it should be spelled out in the contract you signed. If you want to estimate it, I think its approximately $325 minus $10 for each month since you signed it.

Carl G35c
Jan 10, 2011, 04:03 PM
you upgraded in Aug 2009 or 2010? And what device did you upgrade to?

If it was 09 the ETF is $175 but drops 5 every month of service

If it was 10 the ETF is $325 - $10 every month of service for smartphones or $150 - $4 for basic phones

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/articles-resources/early-term-fees.jsp

ucfgrad93
Jan 10, 2011, 04:16 PM

Agreed, call at&t and ask.

thetexan
Jan 10, 2011, 04:21 PM
There is no way to get out of your contract without lying, and you can bet now AT&T will be more protective of their contracts than ever.

Pay the ETF and move on.

CBR900RR
Jan 10, 2011, 04:28 PM
I'm just curious, what is the best way for me to get out of AT&T contract? Or how much ETF do I have to pay when I just upgraded last year of August for another 2 years? I know that it's still not sure if iPhone will go to Verizon but if they do announce it tomorrow, I'm thinking of switching. :cool:

Just sell you iphone4, pay the ETF, and get a subsidize verizon iphone, you might be able to break even.

asleep
Jan 10, 2011, 04:35 PM
http://www.saintsfanatics.com/forums/images/smilies/Money.gif

edtorious
Jan 10, 2011, 04:35 PM
Just sell you iphone4, pay the ETF, and get a subsidize verizon iphone, you might be able to break even.

this is probably i'll do. :p

saving107
Jan 10, 2011, 04:38 PM
There is no way to get out of your contract without lying, and you can bet now AT&T will be more protective of their contracts than ever.

Pay the ETF and move on.

the only way one can get out of an AT&T contract without paying anything is if they change the terms and conditions of your contract, then you are allowed a small window of opportunity (a few weeks) to cancel your contract, by not canceling, you are agreeing to the new Terms.

but this doesn't happen that often and if the Verizon iPhone does get announced tomorrow, I highly doubt that AT&T will be making any changes to the Terms anytime soon.

I agree with others, the best option is to sell your iPhone 4, pay the ETF and move on.

topmounter
Jan 10, 2011, 06:18 PM
Go to your local AT&T store and demand to speak to the store's vice president in charge of customer service.

TwoSocEmBoppers
Jan 10, 2011, 06:33 PM
Without committing fraud, pay the ETF and continue life.

racer1441
Jan 10, 2011, 07:08 PM

Don't be afraid to lie. They are a company, not a court, not a priest, but a company. Look out for your interests and do what you have to do, no chance that they wouldn't do the same thing to you.

I actually had Sprint pay me to leave their network I was such a pain. Any hickup, any dropped call, any missed text, any dead zone, call and complain.

r.j.s
Jan 10, 2011, 07:16 PM
Don't be afraid to lie. They are a company, not a court, not a priest, but a company. Look out for your interests and do what you have to do, no chance that they wouldn't do the same thing to you.

Doesn't matter if it is a company or not, it's fraud and illegal.

tpm1999
Jan 10, 2011, 07:17 PM
I recommend calling a customer service rep and telling them that you died. They probably wont put 2 and 2 together (since you are the one calling).

Applejuiced
Jan 10, 2011, 07:17 PM
Sell your iPhone 4 and pay the ETF. You can make more than enough to cover it.

racer1441
Jan 10, 2011, 07:28 PM
Doesn't matter if it is a company or not, it's fraud and illegal.

Dramatic much? They are a company, a company that would screw you blind if they could, turn around is fair play.

r.j.s
Jan 10, 2011, 07:32 PM
Dramatic much? They are a company, a company that would screw you blind if they could, turn around is fair play.

I'm sorry you're right. Why should you honor a contract you signed? Let's just fraud our way out of it because we don't want to be a part anymore. The big bad company forced us into the contract, so it's all good.

macwh0re
Jan 10, 2011, 07:32 PM

I actually had Sprint pay me to leave their network I was such a pain. Any hickup, any dropped call, any missed text, any dead zone, call and complain.

Wow, you're awesome. Let me know the day you own a business. I would love to be a customer of yours. It's people like you who drive UP the cost of goods and services. Every time you call in and complain, you are costing your telco roughly $8 a call, no wonder why Sprint "paid" you leave. More than likely, you were part of the Sprint breaks up with high maintenance customers ordeal. (http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9739869-7.html)

Essentially, you are stealing. You know, service isn't guaranteed, with ANY carrier. Now I could understand if there was an outage in your neighborhood, which took a few days to fix, but complaining about dead zones? Go to your local town hall meetings and vote to have a tower put up. Ever think of having your voice be heard in a positive way? Perhaps helping make other people's experience better in addition to yours, rather than ripping off companies who provide you with a luxury.

And to get dumped by Sprint lol.. A company who has posted record loss after record loss

racer1441
Jan 10, 2011, 07:37 PM
Wow, you're awesome. Let me know the day you own a business. I would love to be a customer of yours. It's people like you who drive UP the cost of goods and services. Every time you call in and complain, you are costing your telco roughly $8 a call, no wonder why Sprint "paid" you leave. More than likely, you were part of the Sprint breaks up with high maintenance customers ordeal. (http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9739869-7.html) And to get dumped by Sprint lol.. Nothing like a second rate carrier dissing you.

Essentially, you are stealing. You know, service isn't guaranteed, with ANY carrier. Now I could understand if there was an outage in your neighborhood, which took a few days to fix, but complaining about dead zones? Go to your local town hall meetings and vote to have a tower put up. Ever think of having your voice be heard in a positive way? Perhaps helping make other people's experience better in addition to yours, rather than ripping off companies who provide you with a luxury.

Welcome to America.

I'm here to do what is best for me, period. No one is going to look out for you but you.

Call it what you want, but I sleep very well at night.

landscapeman
Jan 10, 2011, 07:40 PM
Wow, I guess you guys have never been screwed by a huge company. It will come one day, sooner than later.

racer1441
Jan 10, 2011, 07:40 PM
I'm sorry you're right. Why should you honor a contract you signed? Let's just fraud our way out of it because we don't want to be a part anymore. The big bad company forced us into the contract, so it's all good.

They don't honor their contracts why should I? Think what they would do to you if they didn't have regulation breathing down their necks.

OP - lots of good options here. The least time consuming sounds like selling your att phone for the ETF fee cash. There are other options though.

TheyCallMeSaint
Jan 10, 2011, 07:42 PM
the only way one can get out of an AT&T contract without paying anything is if they change the terms and conditions of your contract, then you are allowed a small window of opportunity (a few weeks) to cancel your contract, by not canceling, you are agreeing to the new Terms.

but this doesn't happen that often and if the Verizon iPhone does get announced tomorrow, I highly doubt that AT&T will be making any changes to the Terms anytime soon.

I agree with others, the best option is to sell your iPhone 4, pay the ETF and move on.

This. I think it was like last year, Sprint was making tons of changes to their TOS. If anyone wanted to terminate early, they could simply not agree to the new changes.

landscapeman
You easiest route would be to fork out the ETF and sell your phone. Good Luck

r.j.s
They don't honor their contracts why should I? Think what they would do to you if they didn't have regulation breathing down their necks. .

How are they not? Do they guarantee service everywhere? Do they promise 100% availability and no problems - no, no one can.

racer1441
Jan 10, 2011, 07:44 PM
How are they not? Do they guarantee service everywhere? Do they promise 100% availability and no problems - no, no one can.

It's already been mentioned in this thread about the changes they make to the agreements which triggers the ETF elimination for a period of time.

Also, do we need to review the iPad unlimited, not unlimited fiasco, or the unlimited data plans capped at 5gb? Not really unlimited eh?

TheyCallMeSaint
Jan 10, 2011, 07:46 PM

JediZenMaster
Jan 10, 2011, 07:47 PM
the unlimited data plans capped at 5gb? Not really unlimited eh?

The unlimited data plan is not capped at 5GB. I've used way over 5GB each month and my usage is not capped.

R.Perez
Jan 10, 2011, 07:47 PM

This is not a mom and pop store, this is AT&T, one of the most unethical, morally bankrupt corporations in the world.

Next thing you know you will be defending Monsanto.

Seriously get off your high horse because it just makes you look bad.

If you can't add anything to the thread by helping to answer the OP's question than just don't post.

r.j.s
Jan 10, 2011, 07:48 PM
It's already been mentioned in this thread about the changes they make to the agreements which triggers the ETF elimination for a period of time.

Yeah, they change the contract, you have the option to get out free - not fraud and not the same thing.

Also, do we need to review the iPad unlimited, not unlimited fiasco, or the unlimited data plans capped at 5gb? Not really unlimited eh?

I'm not 100% familiar, but it would depend on what the contract says. It may have said there was a cap. I don't know for sure - that's why you must read the contract before you sign - all of it.

If you can't add anything to the thread by helping to answer the OP's question than just don't post.

Why is your only post in this thread to personally attack me?

macwh0re
Jan 10, 2011, 07:53 PM
This is not a mom and pop store, this is AT&T, one of the most unethical, morally bankrupt corporations in the world.

Just because they are "morally bankrupt" doesn't mean you should be let out of a contract. Even if you don't sign a contract, there are still terms of service that you agree to. To sum it up, the contract portion means "If you stay with us for 2 years, we will discount this phone $400" If you choose not to, you pay full price, or bring your own phone. Either way, you are still agreeing to their terms and conditions. No one is forcing you to agree to that.

racer1441
Jan 10, 2011, 07:54 PM
I'm not 100% familiar, but it would depend on what the contract says. It may have said there was a cap. I don't know for sure - that's why you must read the contract before you sign - all of it.

My way is so much easier and more fun.

JediZenMaster
Jan 10, 2011, 07:59 PM

Well obviously your not one to deal with facts and prefer "Fuzzy Logic". But the truth is no carrier promises service period. Yeah VZW touts it's network as its biggest strength but deep inside of their TOS it states that network availability is not promised.

Now this is a open forum so whether or not someone posts something that YOU feel is related to the OP's issue is subjective. Because anyone can opine on this issue. You don't run mac rumors or anything else. :p

Apple OC
Jan 10, 2011, 08:04 PM
Best way to get out of AT&T contract?

Go to AT&T and throw a hissy fit :cool:

... no, seriously just politely pay the ETF and ask nicely for a bit of a break.

Primejimbo
Jan 10, 2011, 08:06 PM
Wow, you're awesome. Let me know the day you own a business. I would love to be a customer of yours. It's people like you who drive UP the cost of goods and services. Every time you call in and complain, you are costing your telco roughly $8 a call, no wonder why Sprint "paid" you leave. More than likely, you were part of the Sprint breaks up with high maintenance customers ordeal. (http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9739869-7.html)

And to get dumped by Sprint lol.. A company who has posted record loss after record loss
I agree with you. I am so sick of idiots lying and screwing it up for the honest people.

I agree with the others. Pay the ETF and sell your iPhone.

aneftp
Jan 10, 2011, 08:07 PM
Just a word of warning to those who used their subsidies to obtain iPhone 4 and try to get out of the ETF.

Over on Howard Forums, many ATT CS Reps/agents say especially with iPhone 4's, ATT makes it near impossible to try to get out of your ETF. ATT will make you jump though hoops to try to get out of your ETF.

As others have stated, iphone 4 retains a lot of resale value. Resale the iPhone 4 on ebay/craigslist to pay for your own ETF.

It's a $600/700 iphone 4 your got for $200/300. You can easily re-sell it for $450-600 to pay for your own ETF and apply some of the profits towards a new phone.

TB07-NJ
Jan 10, 2011, 08:20 PM
Doesn't matter if it is a company or not, it's fraud and illegal. Curious as to what City, State or Federal law it violates to lie to AT&T to get out of a contract making it illegal or fraud?

There's a difference between "illegal," which is an act that violates the laws of the state and which can send you to jail, and a violation of a contract, which is if you do something counter to an agreement you signed with AT&T. If they accept your "lie" it's their problem.

AT&T is a company and doesn't make laws and can't enforce laws. All they CAN do is take you to court and sue you civilly for the couple hundred bucks.

It is neither illegal or fraudulent. You may be violating your CONTRACT but that isn't against ANY law anywhere, it's a civil issue.

I'm not saying it OK to do it, just that everyone throws around "illegal" and "fraudulent (in the illegal way)" when it isn't.

r.j.s
Jan 10, 2011, 08:21 PM
Curious as to what City, State or Federal law it violates to lie to AT&T to get out of a contract making it illegal or fraud?

There's a difference between "illegal," which is an act that violates the laws of the state and which can send you to jail, and a violation of a contract, which is if you do something counter to an agreement you signed with AT&T. If they accept your "lie" it's their problem.

AT&T is a company and doesn't make laws and can't enforce laws. All they CAN do is take you to court and sue you civilly for the couple hundred bucks.

It is neither illegal or fraudulent. You may be violating your CONTRACT but that isn't against ANY law anywhere, it's a civil issue.

You're right, it's not criminal law. It is a civil matter, but it is easier to call it illegal - because the courts will uphold a contract as legal - than breach of contract.

But, you are wrong as well. Not everything must be criminal to be called illegal.

cocky jeremy
Jan 10, 2011, 08:47 PM
This. Alternatively, it should be spelled out in the contract you signed. If you want to estimate it, I think its approximately $325 minus $10 for each month since you signed it.

Bingo. As an ex-AT&T employee, i can tell you that you're correct.

Fernandez21
Jan 10, 2011, 09:10 PM
You know, apple is a big corporation, do you lie to them in order to get something for free?

GoCubsGo
Jan 10, 2011, 09:29 PM
You know, apple is a big corporation, do you lie to them in order to get something for free?

My guess is yes. I think you should have to be at least 18 and be able to prove you know what the word "contract" means before you're allowed to sign up for a phone.

racer1441
Jan 10, 2011, 09:38 PM
My guess is yes. I think you should have to be at least 18 and be able to prove you know what the word "contract" means before you're allowed to sign up for a phone.

Enjoy paying your fee while the rest of us walk free and clear.

Che Castro
Jan 10, 2011, 09:45 PM
ok this thread is heading in the wrong direction

what the OP wants to know is "is there a Lie i can tell AT&T to get out of paying The ETF"

GoCubsGo
Jan 10, 2011, 10:30 PM

Oh I don't have to pay. I'm free and clear and paid a nice wage for understanding what "contract" means. Its likely more than we can say about you, I'm sure. ;)

macwh0re
Jan 10, 2011, 10:36 PM

Enjoy your credit score. The only way to get out of your contract without being responsible for the ETF that I know of is to transfer the liability to someone else, or die. So while the honest people suck it up and pay the fee they agreed to, the others will be putting their next car purchase on layaway at Wally World.

CosmoPilot
Jan 10, 2011, 10:41 PM
Agreed, check ebay and see what an iPhone4 is selling for these days. I'm seeing approx. $550 easily.

Pay the $300 ETF...use the other $250 to get on a new network! Break even my friend and move on!

Cosmo

Fernandez21
Jan 10, 2011, 10:54 PM
Ok, well to answer the op, the only ways I know of is if AT&T changes the contract you have 30 days to cancel without fee, you move to an area outside of their network and give proof of address that's its outside their network and you're living there, or you die and your loved ones provide a death certificate.

Edit: to add you could also do a transfer of liability, where some one else takes over your contract. If you still have the unlimited data plan you might be able to find someone to do that, but I think you lose your number if you do that.

Mliii
Jan 10, 2011, 10:57 PM
Don't be afraid to lie...

I'm here to do what is best for me, period. No one is going to look out for you but you.

Call it what you want, but I sleep very well at night.

So I guess by your way of reasoning, it's OK if you take your car to a mechanic and ask them to fix the brakes and instead of doing that, they simply switch the pads around and your brakes don't really get fixed, but they charge you for new brake pads... I guess it's ok with you because, after all, the mechanic is just out to do what's best for him...and it's ok to lie... And I guess the same would be true of your doctor and your dentist and anyone else you do business with...I mean, they're all just companies and it's ok to lie and they are just out to do what's best for them...nice...

I wish I knew who you were in the real world because I'd want to be sure to steer a very wide path around ever doing business with you.

OP, just sell your AT&T phone and use the money to pay the ETF and get on with your life.

Dalton63841
Jan 10, 2011, 11:05 PM
Sleep with Randall Stephenson's daughter, or his wife, or heck, sleep with Randall Stephenson...Conflict of interest and all that...

saving107
Jan 11, 2011, 12:02 AM
or heck, sleep with Randall Stephenson...Conflict of interest and all that...

I think this is the best solution I've read so far.

edtorious
Jan 11, 2011, 02:21 PM
soooo, I guess I won't be switching at all in my case. Since there's not much difference on the iPhone, instead of paying almost $255 of ETF, I'll just stay with crappy AT&T till iPhone 5 comes out this summer and by that time my ETF would be less too. Hopefully Verizon will carry iPhone 5 too with LTE and simultaneous voice/data capabilities also.

nwngeek212
Jan 23, 2011, 06:22 PM
Thats probably the best option. Another option could be that you continue to use your AT&T phone until they change their terms of service. Request to cancel your contract because you don't agree with their new terms of service, and either you can be without a phone until the iPhone 5 comes out, or you can start a new, month-to-month (no commitment) contract with AT&T. You'll lose your phone number, but hey, thats what Google Voice is for.

Good Luck

Storrow
Jan 23, 2011, 06:48 PM
its not a problem with the network its a problem with the phone