PDA

View Full Version : Blue-Ray CDs. When for Macs?

tinydancer
Jan 29, 2005, 06:47 PM
I know the next big thing for storing information will be the move to blur-ray burners and disks. Can any of you explain what this means and how is it different from current technology. Will Apple move to this tech, and if so, when do you expect to see this tech showing up in Apple products at resonable prices for consumers ? Sorry if this isn't the best forum for this post. Didn't know where else to put it.

Timelessblur
Jan 29, 2005, 06:50 PM
well I would not be suprised to see say it to be a while after blue ray DVD burners go PC side since dual layer have been out for over a year now (and now at a very good price I might add) and they are still not coming with the Mac-.----

As explain the tech it can hold I want ot say 5-10x more than red lazer dvds )I dont remeber the exact number) and it can go up to 10 layers thick compared to the 2 layers of the current one. The reason it can hold more is blue light wave light is much shorter then red light and that means the data can be closer together with out interfences.

Dr. Dastardly
Jan 29, 2005, 07:42 PM
I can actually see this as being one of those Apple firsts seeing that their relationship with Sony seems to be quite strong. Of course I'm thinking it will probably be an add on to the Powermac line first before it starts migrating to other lines.

Westside guy
Jan 29, 2005, 08:58 PM
Given that the standard hasn't even been established yet, I would expect it to be a while.

clayj
Jan 29, 2005, 09:19 PM
I can actually see this as being one of those Apple firsts seeing that their relationship with Sony seems to be quite strong. Of course I'm thinking it will probably be an add on to the Powermac line first before it starts migrating to other lines.I would think that Sony would equip their own line of PCs with Blu-Ray drives before anyone else, including Apple, will.

homerjward
Jan 29, 2005, 09:20 PM
whoa! it's a purple-disc (well, ultra-violet but...) http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19531
pioneer made it and it's 500gb!
anyway i think sony has bd recorders already in japan but like 50 bucks for a disc and 3k for the player or something.

Jo-Kun
Jan 30, 2005, 07:59 AM
just let's hope Apple jumps onto the right wagon this time...

remember DVD-RAM... why didn't that became popular: it wasn't compatible with ordinary DVD drives... only with DVD-RAM drives... duh!

thats why they switched to DVD-R/RW.. and now have dual +/- burners...

BluRay seems great... you hear more about it than about the HD DVD...
but I think we'll have to wait until the are more commonly used to see them in a Mac + they wil preferebly continue longer with DVD +/- because its more compatible with a lot of different computers...

so when they are affordable, I think I will get an external version with USB2 or FireWire so I can take it with me if I have to deliver data to a client who doesn't have BluRay or just burn it on DVD+/- and use BluRay for personal back-up...

Blue Velvet
Jan 30, 2005, 08:03 AM
There was also another thread about this subject for anyone else interested in Blu-Ray...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=84793

octoberdeath
Feb 22, 2005, 01:01 PM
So if this is going to be the year of High Def and all the video editing programs are all HD now, does that mean we can expect a HD burner to go along with everything else? Because until then I wouldn't say this is the year for HD. As long as we are held back by the hardware whats the point!?