Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arnold624

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2009
Hi.

I have a 15" MacBook Pro (2010) of 5 months that has a battery health percentage of 94% (6498 out of 6900). Is that normal? Didn't Apple say that it will only start depleting after 1000 charges? I only had like 38... is there a problem here?

Thanks!

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
No problem at all! That percentage is to be taken with a grain of salt and it will fluctuate all the time. GGJstudios will post the Apple Notebook Battery Guide any minute now...

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
No problem at all! That percentage is to be taken with a grain of salt and it will fluctuate all the time. GGJstudios will post the Apple Notebook Battery Guide any minute now...

(wait for it...)

HAHAHA this is hilarious ;)

OP: I have 39 cycles & 95% battery. It was 100% after I calibrated a couple months ago. You should calibrate. I would calibrate, but I do not care to do so. ie-not important to me.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
OP, Just so you don't have the wrong expectations.

Calibrating improves the accuracy of the battery timers. It does not extend the life of your battery.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Hah, it was worth a try...GGJstudios didn't come through quick enough this time :(

But back to OP, it's not 1000 charges before it starts discharging. What Apple means by that is after 1000 charges (granted the battery is conditioned properly, but that's a whole different discussion), the battery should still retain 80 percent of it's original capacity. So between charge 1 and charge 1000, your battery health should be anywhere between 80-100 percent.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Hah, it was worth a try...GGJstudios didn't come through quick enough this time :(

But back to OP, it's not 1000 charges before it starts discharging. What Apple means by that is after 1000 charges (granted the battery is conditioned properly, but that's a whole different discussion), the battery should still retain 80 percent of it's original capacity. So between charge 1 and charge 1000, your battery health should be anywhere between 80-100 percent.

I was able to get Apple replace my battery that was at 89% after 225 charges (in my 2010 MBP) for free while they were replacing my topcase, HDD, HDD cable, internal speakers, and magsafe board. What they actually only needed to replace: topcase, HDD, HDD cable. I am totally satisfied with my new battery (and other new parts). I am just too lazy to calibrate it :p

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Probably won't get the luck as you. My battery is completely in the ***** right now (pardon my language). Had my MBP for about a year and a half and my current battery capacity is 37 percent :eek:. with 115 cycles. But I'll probably take the blame for that happening. Was using my battery normally/daily but got lazy or forgot to remove it from power :(.

I'll still swing by the Apple Store and if they'll be nice enough to replace the battery without AppleCare (*fingers crossed*)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.