Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

desistyle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
I just calibrated my air using Apple's instructions here:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490

Previously my full charge capacity showed 4520mah, but after calibration it's showing 4375mah! What caused the drop? Should I be concerned? I thought that calibrating the battery would increase the full charge capacity. FYI: I've had about 30 cycles on the battery so far (in about 2 months I think)..

patrixl

Suspended
Jun 19, 2009
Calibrating (as the name indicates) calibrates the sensor that reads the battery's capacity

It doesn't magically make your battery better, it makes it more accurate at reporting how many mAh are left so you get accurate time/percentage remaining. Sometimes it _seems_ to increase the battery's rating, simply because the sensor was out of whack and calibrating fixed it.

But it never physically increases it, just increases the accuracy of the sensor.

patrixl

Suspended
Jun 19, 2009
Is coconut battery the programme to use on the airs or is there something else out there?

Coconut battery just presents to you the same info you can get in System Profiler, and allows you to save the information with the date so you can refer to it later.

Why would there be a different need on a Macbook Air compared to other Macs, I don'T know :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.