Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gotsmartz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2009
Hey all,
My 2008 Macbook Air was slowing down and overheating so bad, and I was going to bring it in for that, but on top of that the harddrive died too and the i won't even boot anymore(white screen). It still has Applecare til May. The laptop is in PERFECT condition, not a scratch, still looks new. Will Apple repair the laptop or replace it? Will they replace it with the same one or a newer model? Could I pay to have the SSD instead? I was thinking about bringing it to the store or calling them up, not sure which is a better option.
THANKS SO MUCH IN ADVANCE!

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
It will be repaired, and if they did replace it then it would be with a refurb of the same model. However if you want to upgrade to a SSD then you could try asking them and they probably will let you pay to have it upgraded.

And1ss

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Most likely, they will repair the necessary components unless your mba has had a history of major repairs done to like (like logic board repairs). Replacement, IMO, is out of the question. Oh, I doubt you can pay money to upgrade the hdd, but it is worth a shot.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Sounds like a pretty easy repair to me. Replace hard drive. make sure the fan is working, blow out the dust and re-apply the thermal compound which has likely dried up.

fyrefly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2004
The general Apple Policy is 3 repairs to the same part = replacement. So if the MBA is chewing through HD's and you have needed to have 3 replaced, they'll give you a new one. Or if you have the Logic Board replaced 3 times, then they'll give you a new machine.

You could also have a case if they take it in for repair and you wait two weeks+ for parts to come in (this has happened lately with people and the hinges on the older MBAs - the parts aren't always available, so people end up with new machines after a few weeks of being without one... not the best solution).

gotsmartz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2009
thanks for the advice guys! I'm fine with it being repaired, but the thing is I leave to go back to school halfway across the country in a few days, so with a harddrive replacement and possible logic board replacement I can't see them fixing it in time. I feel like they are going to tell me tough luck, I have to wait, then it will suck because my parents will have to ship it to me or something, and my dorm mail gets lost so much so yea, sorry to be complaining here haha

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
thanks for the advice guys! I'm fine with it being repaired, but the thing is I leave to go back to school halfway across the country in a few days, so with a harddrive replacement and possible logic board replacement I can't see them fixing it in time. I feel like they are going to tell me tough luck, I have to wait, then it will suck because my parents will have to ship it to me or something, and my dorm mail gets lost so much so yea, sorry to be complaining here haha

Usually it's a 7 day turn around time which is pretty fast for most tech repair but based on the fact you have Applecare and so much is wrong with it they may just order you up a replacement. Thank you for admitting that you were complaining because I was about to call you out on the sense of entitlement. :p

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
It will be repaired, and if they did replace it then it would be with a refurb of the same model. However if you want to upgrade to a SSD then you could try asking them and they probably will let you pay to have it upgraded.

ummm no.....apple never replaces laptops with refurbs, unless its a refurb unit when you bought it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.