Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacOCD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
I was wondering if any one would know how to get a hold of any of these OS install discs? I have not been able to find any physical discs but what about .iso files? This isn't too important but I have been playing around with some of the old operating systems and these are ones I have never seen. Any information would be helpful, no matter how small.

Thanks in advance

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
I was wondering if any one would know how to get a hold of any of these OS install discs? I have not been able to find any physical discs but what about .iso files? This isn't too important but I have been playing around with some of the old operating systems and these are ones I have never seen. Any information would be helpful, no matter how small.

Thanks in advance

These OSes are Floppy Only, so the images wouldnt be .iso files. SOS is probably the hardest to find as the Apple /// was a pretty massive failiure compared to the Apple ][... I think these images would be hard to find as it would take a hellva lot of effort to get them onto a modern enough machine - their ancient floppy formats... one of the best bets youd have is to get an Apple][ with AppleDOS included.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I didn't really want to look through all of these downloads to see if what you want is here, but Apple has an older software downloads page here. It may have some of what you want.

David Schmidt

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2006
Southeastern USA
I was wondering if any one would know how to get a hold of any of these OS install discs?
Getting started with ancient Apples 101:

You can find Apple II and /// operating system disk images here:
http://mirrors.apple2.org.za/ftp.apple.asimov.net/images/masters/
http://mirrors.apple2.org.za/ftp.apple.asimov.net/images/apple3/system/

You can browse the disk contents with a viewer like CiderPress or AppleCommander

You can boot and run the Apple II disks with any of various emulators - AppleWin, Virtual ][, GSport, etc.

Running the /// images is a little trickier. There are a couple of /// emulators out there, but both suffer from problems that make them less than ideal: Sara and MESS.

If you had a real Apple II or ///, you could bootstrap it from bare metal like this or like this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.