Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

113047-antenna.jpg

Apple and Verizon announced the Verizon-compatible iPhone today. The new iPhone 4 is functionally identical to the existing AT&T/GSM iPhone 4, but has been made CDMA compatible to run on Verizon's network. It seems there have been some antenna changes to the design with an additional antenna break in the casing.

The new antenna design was leaked in an early video that was later removed by Apple. The new design has moved the antenna break position from the top to the sides of the device. The change may simply be to accommodate CDMA's different communication frequency rather than address the antenna issue from the original design.

The iPhone 4 for Verizion will begin preorders on February 3rd with availability starting on February 10th. The 16GB model will cost $199.99 and the 32GB model $299.99 with two year contract.

In a surprise move, Verizon is allowing the iPhone 4 to be a mobile Mi-Fi device that can share its 3G connection to up to 5 Wi-Fi enabled devices. This means your laptop can share your iPhone's 3G internet connection when a regular connection is not available. However, as a CDMA device, you won't be able to use your 3G internet connection and Voice at the same time.

Article Link: Verizon iPhone Launches with Mobile Hotspot and Redesigned Antenna

Last edited by a moderator:

Nishi100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2010
Next next June:
iPhone 6 ATT
iPhone 6 Verizon
iPhone 6 ATT LTE
iPhone 6 Verizon LTE

bitslap47

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2007
Mobile wi-fi hotspot?! (aka tethering)

Count me in! So long AT&T!

i thought that too at first... but no simultaneous voice and data is a deal breaker for me.

Plus, ATT is great in my area and hopefully they will allow hotspot now as well.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
CDMA network is done and paid for and the 3G phones are dirt cheap to make. VZW can now offer freebies like this for it. just like when data started coming to the carriers and they all started to offer "free" in-network calling or picking 5 out of network friends or whatever.

when your new phones can theoretically hit 50Mbps it's not big deal offering free hot spots on a phone that will only do 1mbps on a good day

Iphtashu Fitz

macrumors regular
May 5, 2008
outside Boston
The mobile hotspot feature is intriguing. It's about the only thing that would make me consider switching from AT&T to Verizon. It'll be interesting to see if AT&T addresses this in any way.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Where's all the posters with "Apple will never make a CDMA phone", or the "iPhone will never be on Verizon until LTE"? Wow I guess they are hiding under rocks...LOL

octane79

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2010
Texas
Voice and Data

A WiFi hotspot sounds good until you have to disconnect to make or receive a call. No thanks! :eek:

DudeDad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2009
The mobile hotspot app is included on the phone.

From the VZ support site:

Are there minimum service and data pricing requirements?

Yes, iPhone customers will need to choose from any of the current Nationwide plans. Customers will also be required to activate a data package, pricing will be announced at a later date.

I like the "pricing to be announced later"....sounds like "be prepared for sticker shock" to me...

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
The MiFi is of interest as I have a WiFi only iPad and it would be nice to have that from AT&T. However, I never really feel the need to take my iPad out of the house. If I need data on the go, the iPhone is good for that. Don't really need my iPad anywhere I don't have WiFi.

The big deal breaker on the Verizon front is the voice/data thing. I use voice and data a lot on my iPhone. I need to be able to access emails, map data, etc, while on a call.

They of course didn't make any mention of what their data plan costs or if there is an additional cost for the MiFi like there is for tethering through AT&T.

xforce11

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2008
North Carolina
So happy. I'm eligible for a new in 2 upgrade as well. LOVE that I get a hot spot included. This will be great for my laptop and when I get an iPad 2.

ortuno2k

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2005
Hollywood, FL
Nice! Finally!
The antenna redesign and ability to function as a mobile hot spot is very nice.
I might get iPhone 4 after it launches with Verizon. This old 3G is showing its age, especially with iOS 4.
And reception inside my apartment SUCKS!

Let's see what Verizon can offer.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Niiice...now I can drop my MiFi dedicated account. I'm going to save a bunch of money moving to Verizon now!

Sell AT&T iPhone 4 = covers ETF
Buy new ViPhone
Drop AT&T $140/month
Add V line @ $50/month
Drop MiFi @ $70/month

Total win scenario for me!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.