Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With Verizon having announced today that it will begin offering the iPhone early next month and event attendees getting their first hands-on experiences with the device, a number of details have surfaced that are worth noting:

130847-verizon_iphone_hotspot_settings_500.jpg

- Personal Hotspot: The Verizon iPhone 4 supports personal hotspot services, allowing up to five devices to share the phone's 3G data connection. Configuration options for the hotspot functionality are cleanly located within the iPhone's standard Settings application rather than in a separate application.

Verizon has not announced pricing for the iPhone 4 data plans, although the carrier has been rumored to be utilizing its standard data packages for on-phone usage, which include an option for unlimited data at $29.99 per month. Hotspot data pricing, however, remains unknown, as the carrier currently charges users of many of its smartphones an additional $20 per month for a separate 2 GB data allotment for personal hotspot use, although some devices such as those from Palm include a 5 GB hotspot allotment with no extra monthly charges.

- Antenna Design: As we noted in our initial article on the announcement, Apple has in fact tweaked the antenna design on the CDMA iPhone 4 to accommodate the different technology. According to Ars Technica, the Verizon iPhone exhibits no visible signal loss when gripping the edges of the phone, although even on the GSM iPhone 4 reproducibility of the issue varied depending in large part on signal strength.
Ars contributor Chris Foresman reported that bridging the remaining gap on the Verizon iPhone (using the "death grip," he says) did not result in any kind of CDMA signal attenuation. He also placed a call while death gripping and said that there was no noticeable signal loss.

130847-verizon_iphone_4_2_5.jpg

- iOS 4.2.5: The demo units of the Verizon iPhone 4 on display at the event are running a special version of the iOS operating system known as iOS 4.2.5, compared to iOS 4.2.1 found on GSM versions of the device. The new version has clearly been developed to support some of the Verizon- and CDMA-specific changes, including the personal hotspot functionality. It is unknown what version of iOS the Verizon iPhone will finally ship with next month.

- Cases and Bumpers: As noted by TUAW, slight shifts in the placement of physical buttons on the Verizon iPhone, primarily a change in the position of the mute switch to accommodate the new antenna design, mean that many current iPhone 4 cases and bumpers will not fit the Verizon version.

- No SIM-Card Slot: One other distinguishing physical difference between the GSM and CDMA iPhone 4 models is the lack of a SIM-card slot in the side of the Verizon version, as CDMA technology does not require the use of a removable SIM-card as with GSM technology. A parts leak last week claimed to be from either the CDMA iPhone 4 or the iPhone 5 accurately showed the locations of the new breaks in the frame of the CDMA version, but also included a SIM-card slot.

- White iPhone 4 Images Removed: While not strictly related to the Verizon iPhone 4, Apple appears to have taken the opportunity of the Verizon iPhone introduction to essentially scrub its site entirely of images showing the white iPhone 4. Apple had dramatically scaled back its usage of the white iPhone 4 in promotional images following an October announcement that the model had been delayed until spring 2011, but some references had remained until today.

Article Link: Verizon iPhone 4 Notes: Hotspot, Antenna, iOS 4.2.5, White iPhone 4 Images Removed

NoExpectations

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
"According to Ars Technica, the Verizon iPhone exhibits no visible signal loss when gripping the edges of the phone, although even on the GSM iPhone 4 reproducibility of the issue varied depending in large part on signal strength."

That's because the Verizon Cell Phone Tower (via a microcell?) was in the room. Don't you think that they would have thought about that ahead of time?!?!

4.2.5 Hotspots.....looks like a new feature for all of us.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Oh boy. A 7 month old phone that is not 4G and now can't to voice / data together with an uncertain pricing plan. Yeah - that's tempting. :rolleyes:

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
- Cases and Bumpers: As noted by TUAW, slight shifts in the placement of physical buttons on the Verizon iPhone, primarily a change in the position of the mute switch to accommodate the new antenna design, mean that many current iPhone 4 cases and bumpers will not fit the Verizon version.

classic verizon

they don't make money selling the phone but on the accessories. this is why all the accessories always changed and you couldn't buy a replacement after a year or so

NKT

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
That's because the Verizon Cell Phone Tower (via a microcell?) was in the room. Don't you think that they would have thought about that ahead of time?!?!

Why would they think of this ahead of time when it was never going to happen?!

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
It will be very interesting to see the inevitable side-by-side comparisons of both iPhone 4s regarding the antenna issue.

Dusky600

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2010
Portugal
It will be very interesting to see the inevitable side-by-side comparisons of both iPhone 4s regarding the antenna issue.

its a new antenna design that probably attenuates the death grip effect. i predict it will be implemented in all iphone 4's from now on.

the new ones at least.

BigDukeSix

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
34.6700N 118.1590W
Oh boy. A 7 month old phone that is not 4G and now can't to voice / data together with an uncertain pricing plan. Yeah - that's tempting. :rolleyes:

You people would bitch if you were hung with a new rope. I have waiting for this for soooooo long! And, when I can update again in two years, LTE/4G will be everywhere and the VZ IPhone 6 should be available. I am glad VZ decided to get this model on the market now instead of waiting another 6 months or a year for 4G/LTE

And, if they said they redesigned the antenna due to death grip, it would be an admission of a an original problem. But, saying it was designed due to CDMA requirements, everyone is happy and they are covered.

NoExpectations

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
Million Dollar Questions

How much for the Tethering?

Will Tethering be offered on the Unlimited Plan?

(Verizon...get ready for a few million concurrent Netflix Watchers!)

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
its a new antenna design that probably attenuates the death grip effect. i predict it will be implemented in all iphone 4's from now on.

the new ones at least.

Not likely unfortunately, given Tim Cook's 'no comment' response:

Q: Did you change the antenna?
A: Cook: We've optimized things to work on CDMA, but I'm not commenting on anything beyond that.

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Well, I might have gone for it, by CMDA only doesn't appeal to me. I travel internationally, so would want one that handles both. Maybe iPhone 5.

macman7002

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
Startup Screen

Does anyone know if this device is sporting Big Red's classic startup screen or if it is the regular iPhone startup screen?

Dusky600

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2010
Portugal
Not likely unfortunately, given Tim Cook's 'no comment' response.

apple probably woudlnt want Verizon to announce a new antenna design, especially after antenna gate.

there probably letting the new antenna settle in has a CDMA antenna then start rolling out iphone 4's with it or just save it for June for the iphone 5/4s review thingy

MarlboroLite

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
the 13 colonies
Oh boy. A 7 month old phone that is not 4G and now can't to voice / data together with an uncertain pricing plan. Yeah - that's tempting.

That's life, and people keep buying the phone until the last day before a new one replaces it. AT&T still sells this 7 month old phone and will continue to do so until the next one comes out. Unless you can point to evidence than people buying iPhones on GSM carriers around the world have stopped buying them...this is a useless argument. This is the current iPhone, and Verizon is now carrying it. We have no idea if the next version will come out at the same time for GSM and CDMA carriers. Maybe it will, maybe it will be 3 months later, maybe one year from now.

If people constantly "wait" for the next device, they will never be happy. There will always be a new one around the corner.

If someone is on Verizon and they've waited years to get an iPhone, I suggest they get it now. It's here, finally. Stop waiting! I'm dumping my droid the day this comes out, and I will be happy regardless of whether there's a new phone 6 months from now (as if that was tomorrow...):rolleyes:

jb510

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Wonder what happens if your using it as a hotspot and someone trys to call you...

The only good thing about this phone is that it means I don't have to have this conversation anymore:
"I need a need a new phone, what should I get?"
"get an iPhone"
"I can't I'm on verizon"
"change carriers"
"I can't I'm in a contract, what about the incredible/dream/whatever is that good? It's supposed to be better than the iPhone"
"I have no idea. Since I got an iphone I've never even thought about another phone let alone spent time researching them"

Seriously I have that exact conversation at least once a month, these are people however that wouldn't have a clue what thethrting means so I don't think the lack of simultanous voice/data would matter to them.

coumie

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2004
Verizon White iPhone...

Well - When I go to the Verizon website they are showing a color option of White when I go to More about the iPhone 4 and then select "Tech Specs" and capacity and color -

Looks like it's gone - now only black.....

iphone.png

Last edited by a moderator:

koios

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2010
Verizon iPhone antenna design + SIM card slot = iPhone 5 exterior design!

Just consider the video of the leaked unit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.