PDA

View Full Version : Considering going from Droid to Apple

KarlJay
Jan 11, 2011, 04:33 PM
I was looking into doing phone apps and started studing the Droid, now I'm concidering going with the Apple.
Here's some of my concerns:
Apple has had explosive growth first, and can't maintain that same growth and already has a flooded market.

Droid is now taking away some of the market from Apple _BUT_ I'm not sure of the paid market for Droid. It seems that Apple devs would get paid, Droid devs would get little or nothing.
(I'd be looking to make money from this)

The cost of equip. I thought you HAD to have a Mac to dev for Apple, I think this is wrong.
Can you dev for Apple on a PC (using simulator), up til the time your ready to release, then transfer over to a Mac and release?

Is there anywhere someone could get some stats on what's selling on these platforms? I keep hearing about people getting apps for free for JB phones and I don't have a year to spend on phone app dev without a fair chance of getting paid.
Do Apple devs have a reasonable or better chance of making some money? Is it better chance than Droid?
I know this is all app dependant, another tip calc wouldn't have a chance, but I'm assuming a good solid app...

With all the phone app activity out there, there's got to be someone tracking this kinda stuff.

Thanks, KarlJay.

balamw
Jan 11, 2011, 04:57 PM
Can you dev for Apple on a PC (using simulator), up til the time your ready to release, then transfer over to a Mac and release?

You can't develop under Windows. You need to run OS X for Xcode, you could use a Hackintosh or a VM up to a point. You don't have to pay the $99 Developer Program fee until you want to submit to the store.

Individual devs sometimes post sales figures, but I haven't seen any survey type sales numbers myself.

EDIT: Have you considered being platform agnostic and trying to develop mobile web app e.g. http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596807795/

B

xStep
Jan 12, 2011, 01:23 PM
Droid [Android] is now taking away some of the market from Apple

Look at the stats that have been reported. The losers are companies like RIM and Nokia, not Apple.

_BUT_ I'm not sure of the paid market for Droid. It seems that Apple devs would get paid, Droid devs would get little or nothing.

The little I've seen on this is that Apple is where the money is and Apple does pay in a timely manner. Apple is also in more markets around the world. There are new app stores appearing for Android so that should help. I think Amazon is/has done one too.

The cost of equip. I thought you HAD to have a Mac to dev for Apple, I think this is wrong.

Excepting the Hankintosh solution, yes you need a Mac. Any Intel based Mac will do. Remember, you can buy used or refurb to keep the cost down. There is also a $100 yearly subscription charge to be able to post your apps to the App Store or to a device such as for testing. I've heard there is a way to use a JB phone for development without paying that $100. You definitely want to test on devices before uploading to the App Store.

As you eluded to, a solid app is a good start. I think I finally came up with a decent idea. :)

Marketing your app is another area to look at, since there are over 300,000 apps in Apples App Store.

I thought I saw something recently on app sales break out. If I find it I'll post it.

There is an interesting video on monetization from one developer; http://vimeo.com/18069027

KarlJay
Jan 13, 2011, 02:58 AM
great vid, gives some excellent insite to the process. I wonder if Driod has anything simular to the iAd stuff.
It's really looking like I need to get a mac and give it a shot. I'm also really put off by one of the Droid base forums, I look around and looks like a semi-ghost town (not many answers).

I've seen some mac mini's in the $500 ballpark and I could get a switch so that I can share the monitor... I'm guessing the performance of the mini is fine for dev?

What about a dev device, I don't need another phone service, mine is fine.

Can I get an iPhone without service new without paying thru the nose or do I need to search CL for a used one.

Is there a company the certifies an iPhone so you know your not getting a dud?
Thanks again... KarlJay.

balamw
Jan 13, 2011, 06:12 AM
What about a dev device, I don't need another phone service, mine is fine.

iPhone without service is not much different from an current iPod touch. Unless your app is something that requires hardware not present in the iPod touch. If that were the case, you might actually need service.

With the VZ phone right around the corner, there might be a lot of AT&T iPhones going on the market....

B

jnoxx
Jan 13, 2011, 06:59 AM
U can develop for iPhone on a Windows. But, then it's not native Xcode (more Java syntax or HTML or whatever).
Appcellerator (or something) and/or phonegap :) (which amkes it avaible for droid/iOS/BB at once)
Stuff like that. but if u really wonna "make money". then at least get a cheap used mac mini or something..

balamw
Jan 13, 2011, 08:33 AM
U can develop for iPhone on a Windows.

That's basically what I was suggesting in my earlier post. Develop using HTML/Javascript and you can package that as an app that can be easily ported for all mobile platforms. You will still need a Mac to submit to the app store.

B

KarlJay
Jan 14, 2011, 02:26 AM
iPhone without service is not much different from an current iPod touch. Unless your app is something that requires hardware not present in the iPod touch. If that were the case, you might actually need service.

With the VZ phone right around the corner, there might be a lot of AT&T iPhones going on the market....

B
Didn't even think about the millions switching to VZ... Should be a huge dump on CL/eBay for old ATT iPhones

dejo
Jan 14, 2011, 08:49 AM
It seems that Apple devs would get paid, Droid devs would get little or nothing.
If your main goal is to make money, I can pretty much guarantee you won't. If you main goal, though, is to provide apps that users want and enjoy, well, then... :)