PDA

View Full Version : What case is best for putting iPad in a backpack?

vinum0908
Jan 11, 2011, 05:17 PM
I've been searching forever, but most reviewers comment on how a case feels when holding the iPad in your hand or around the house...

I'm a student and plan on putting my iPad in a backpack most of the time with a few other books. I ordered a hard back shell for it and a screen protector-- will this be enough?

I really want to avoid the cases with folding covers since I find them unwieldy and annoying, but I don't want to mega-scratch my iPad's screen or anything.

Tips from fellow backpack stuffers?

filmbuff
Jan 11, 2011, 06:40 PM
I got a neoprene sleeve and stuck a piece of cardboard in it to protect my screen. The adhesive screen protectors only keep it from getting scratched, not cracked or crushed.

T-Stex
Jan 11, 2011, 09:22 PM
I got a neoprene sleeve and stuck a piece of cardboard in it to protect my screen. The adhesive screen protectors only keep it from getting scratched, not cracked or crushed.

I think the sleeves from Booq (booqbags.com) have a hard side to protect the screen.

Anyway, I'd probably go with a sleeve if I were going to carry my iPad in a backpack regularly.

TheCheapGeek
Jan 12, 2011, 07:55 AM
I think the sleeves from Booq (booqbags.com) have a hard side to protect the screen.

Anyway, I'd probably go with a sleeve if I were going to carry my iPad in a backpack regularly.

This is the case I use and it is a great backpack case. Soft neoprene to prevent scratches on the back and a hard plastic sheet under neoprene to protect the screen. Check out my review video here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYDyiPem7ps

steveknett
Jan 13, 2011, 10:57 AM
http://www.bellacases.com/Apple-iPad-Verde-Sleeve-Cases/Verde-Sleeve-Black.html

NeuralControl
Jan 13, 2011, 11:53 AM
While I don't have an iPad yet, I'll most likely purchase the second generation soon after it comes out.

I've thought about this issue a lot. I have an Incase sleeve and backpack that I use with my MBP everyday. For over two and a half years I haven't had any issues with protecting the notebook.

I'm really curious how people carry their iPads around campus or on a commute to work. I'm not worried about the aluminum back, but cracking the glass screen seems possible in a backpack with books, even if the iPad is in a sleeve and it's own separate compartment. I hope I am wrong about this, though.

TheShinyMac
Jan 13, 2011, 11:55 AM
I use the apple case, while slidding it into my laptop compartment in my computer. it works flawlessly

NeuralControl
Jan 13, 2011, 12:02 PM
Do you have textbooks in your bag as well?

TheShinyMac
Jan 13, 2011, 12:03 PM
Do you have textbooks in your bag as well?

On a heavy homework day, Id say 10 pounds worth of books.

NeuralControl
Jan 13, 2011, 12:06 PM
That's actually really reassuring that the Apple case can protect the screen in that scenario. Thanks for the heads up.

Absrnd
Jan 14, 2011, 07:28 AM
I bought a cheap neoprene sleeve, and had a 3mm aluminium plate made in the size of the ipad, for a few bucks.
covered the alu with sticky back felt, and put it inside the sleeve, and sits against the iPad screen.

I can now almost sit on my ipad sleeve this thing is strong :)

tek210
Jan 14, 2011, 07:49 AM
This is the one I was planning on picking up when the iPad 2 comes out.

http://www.amazon.com/Scratch-Defense-Neoprene-Sleeve-Apple/dp/B0036RLVUM/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1I50TXK2UAK5M&colid=1XQ1S0QS2QMQ2

gnychis
Jan 14, 2011, 10:59 PM
both my girlfriend and i use the apple case for our ipads in our backpack, and neither of us have had a problem.

smetvid
Jan 15, 2011, 01:57 AM
I bought a netbook bag for my iPad. It has a lot of padding and was $15.00. I have seen iPad cases almost copy the same case for $50.00. Seriously look at netbook cases and save some money. They are designed for a heavier product so they are more robust.

broboore
Jan 17, 2011, 12:32 PM
This is the one I use. Works great.

http://www.hardcandycases.com/ipad-bubblesleeve.html