PDA

View Full Version : Macbook pro to air?

SuperMiguel
Jan 11, 2011, 08:46 PM
So i have a 2009 (5,5) Macbook pro 13" I have 2 SSD drives on it (removed the dvd drive) 8gb of ram and 2.26 Ghz CPU..

Im an Electrical Engineering student, and im thinking about selling it and getting the 13" air ... Worth it?

pst: I mainly want to change it, since i carry my laptop all the time, and the 13" is a bit heavy

2IS
Jan 11, 2011, 09:01 PM
Well that depends, what are your primary uses for it?

Shasta McNasty
Jan 11, 2011, 09:02 PM
I would say keep what you have. It sounds like it fits your needs. If money isnt an issue, then sure. But right now it sounds like the air is more of a "want" for you.

SuperMiguel
Jan 11, 2011, 09:07 PM
yes what i have right now works fine, and its very fast for what i do. just a bit heavy.

lucashungaro
Jan 11, 2011, 09:11 PM
Performance-wise, probably not worth it.

But it's a 35% reduction on weight. I did it because of the weight (I carry it all the time and I opt to not own a car) and the SSD (so it was a big performance gain too).

uniforms
Jan 11, 2011, 09:56 PM
Weight is a BIG difference. It's funny what a difference of even one pound can make. But I went from a 2010 13" MBP, 4gig ram and 500 gig HD to the 13" MBA Ultimate. It just seems this machine is the fastest computer. I love the weight and being able to lighten my load. The weight does make a difference! I say go for it.

AMDGAMER
Jan 12, 2011, 12:51 AM
This thing is FAST..it snaps for sure.

stockscalper
Jan 12, 2011, 07:14 AM
Performance-wise, probably not worth it.

But it's a 35% reduction on weight. I did it because of the weight (I carry it all the time and I opt to not own a car) and the SSD (so it was a big performance gain too).

I have to disagree. I moved from a 15" MBP to the MBA 2.13, 4 gigs ram and it's faster across the board with all apps than the MBP.

For me the only adjustment was the smaller screen. But if you are already using a 13" screen then that shouldn't be an issue for you.

ZenErik
Jan 12, 2011, 07:17 AM
The MBA only seems faster because of the SSD. Pop a SSD in a MBP, and it will have the edge...

lucashungaro
Jan 12, 2011, 07:35 AM
I have to disagree. I moved from a 15" MBP to the MBA 2.13, 4 gigs ram and it's faster across the board with all apps than the MBP.

For me the only adjustment was the smaller screen. But if you are already using a 13" screen then that shouldn't be an issue for you.

I think you didn't read hist post. He already uses SSDs.

From a MBP with a HD to a MBA with SSD I know it's a huge performance gain for most tasks. I did that change too.