PDA

View Full Version : top bezel getting scratched..

T4R06
Jan 11, 2011, 10:54 PM
do you guys have this side by side scratch? i believe these were marks from the edges of the trackpad...

left side.. i have one also on the right side..
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/429/dsc01781b.jpg

iag48
Jan 12, 2011, 09:04 PM
I have the same problem. Two marks that align perfectly with the glass track pad. Also, I noticed there is a horizontal line going across the screen; seems like the screen is being marked by the keys.
I wonder what the genius bar would say...

Mars478
Jan 12, 2011, 09:30 PM
I have this too on both sides.

jenzjen
Jan 12, 2011, 10:06 PM
I had this problem on my 2 older MBAs where the trackpad button would cause marks on the top case. Both times, right before I went to sell them, I went to the Genius Bar to have the top case replaced. Once, the tech processed it immediately, the 2nd time I had to leave and come back another day as the initial tech was hearing none of it.

This written, I do not see this on my 13" 2010 MBA, but I will start keeping an eye out for it.

Archery
Jan 12, 2011, 10:11 PM
Are you serious? I wouldn't have ever noticed that even if it happened to mine.

MUCKYFINGERS
Jan 12, 2011, 10:15 PM
three letters

o
c
d

Apple OC
Jan 12, 2011, 10:23 PM
+1 ... how did you notice that? ...

T4R06
Jan 12, 2011, 11:12 PM
I am very meticulous.. As iag48 said. I have a horizontal line too on the screen..

iag48
Jan 12, 2011, 11:40 PM
It's actually more noticeable than you think. Any time you even look at the top of a tool bar, your eyes will focus on those annoying scratches.

Mars478
Jan 14, 2011, 06:28 AM
Yeah when you pay a premium for this kinda product you don't expect this. Here's mine. I can actually physically feel the "indent" if that's the right word, in the bezel.

KPOM
Jan 14, 2011, 08:33 AM
I had a similar scratch on my Rev B. It got annoying, to be sure, and I'm surprised Apple hasn't fixed it (perhaps they did in the 13" since I haven't noticed anything yet), but if you don't pay attention to it, it isn't that annoying.

I wonder what computer Steve Jobs uses at home and at the office? If it's the 11" MacBook Air, it may get fixed in the Rev E.

iExpensive
Jan 14, 2011, 12:21 PM
Are you guys slamming your screens shut? I don't see this yet on my 2 day old 13"

jamesryanbell
Jan 14, 2011, 01:00 PM
Are you serious? I wouldn't have ever noticed that even if it happened to mine.

Lots do.

I'm one of them. I want absolute perfection aesthetically.

chaoticbear
Jan 14, 2011, 03:19 PM
We just need to rename this thread. "Insane people, check in here!" has a nice ring to it.

(I'm mostly kidding. I'm just one of those people who, you know, uses their computer and accepts a certain amount of wear.)

Lord Appleseed
Jan 14, 2011, 03:26 PM
I own mine since short after release, and no such thing is to be found on it.
I really hope you guys dont slam the lid too hard...

wolfie37
Jan 14, 2011, 04:19 PM
why don't you buy a shaggymac, no scratches then

gwsat
Jan 14, 2011, 04:29 PM
Maybe this is a problem with the 11 inch MBA only. In any event my almost 3 month old 13 MBA has no scratches on or around its bezel, not that I probably would have noticed anyway but for this thread.:)

Bakari45
Jan 14, 2011, 05:27 PM
Mmm, iím not seeing this problem on mine. Am i not looking close enough. I just got my Air last weekend.

Durious
Jan 14, 2011, 05:56 PM
my 11" is fine... no ocd issues here

lengjai
Jan 15, 2011, 05:27 AM
I'm usually pretty pedantic with this stuff but I can't see any signs of this on my 1 week old 13inch

duffyanneal
Jan 15, 2011, 07:52 AM
I've had similar issues in the past with other notebooks. The main cause was that after putting my machine in a slip case I would insert into a backpack full of books/stuff. Later I discovered that if I laid down the bag the wrong way the weight of the books would press down on the notebook and cause marks.

artivideo.nl
Mar 6, 2011, 05:58 AM
Having a lap top does not mean you can just kick into your bag.Treat it like you treat your wife, gently !!

do you guys have this side by side scratch? i believe these were marks from the edges of the trackpad...

left side.. i have one also on the right side..
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/429/dsc01781b.jpg

T4R06
Mar 24, 2011, 10:28 AM
Having a lap top does not mean you can just kick into your bag.Treat it like you treat your wife, gently !!

you know what? actually my wife is jealous to my gadgets.. this is the only issues i have and the horizontal scratch on the screen.

i am very careful putting on my bag and i think the problem is when holding the MBA closed position then you put it on the bag, that's where it triggered...

chaoticbear
Mar 24, 2011, 08:52 PM

+1 point for being gay: I get to be rough with my partner ;)

(yes, I realize that women aren't made of porcelain, but found the previous comment funny in a cute, sexist kind of way, and thought an equally sexist reply was warranted.)

solaris7
Mar 24, 2011, 09:10 PM

WAIT A MINUTE! Wives are supposed to be treated gently?
This changes EVERYTHING!

Psilocybin
Mar 24, 2011, 09:19 PM
WAIT A MINUTE! Wives are supposed to be treated gently?
This changes EVERYTHING!

Hmm maybe that's why I keep getting yelled at

superdudeo
Mar 25, 2011, 06:03 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Is anyone doing anything about this? I noticed these marks on my 13" purchased in december. I don't treat it particulary rough but then I should be able to for a grands worth of machine!
It seems a little pedantic to take it into genius bar, in which case they would only replace with another which would inevitably gain the same problem.

ZipZap
Mar 25, 2011, 06:18 AM
I have been leaving a small thin mico-fibre cloth on the keyboard before closing. No issues here.

TheRealDamager
Mar 25, 2011, 09:21 AM
Is that teeny tiny mark really that big a deal? Seriously?

macbwizard
Mar 25, 2011, 11:11 AM
Is that teeny tiny mark really that big a deal? Seriously?

Agreed. Does this affect your usage of the computer in any way? Over time things wear down, that's just how it is.

GekkePrutser
Mar 25, 2011, 12:10 PM
Agreed. Does this affect your usage of the computer in any way? Over time things wear down, that's just how it is.

If it's already like this now, it could get a lot worse over time. Especially since the users that would notice this are likely to be very careful ones too.

When I buy my MBA I'm definitely going to use a cloth between the screen and keyboard (also because the keys sometimes scratch the screen apparently).

dblissmn
Mar 25, 2011, 03:26 PM
These little scuffs on the bezel are nothing — not worth a minute of your time.

But I would be worried about what they imply, which is pressure or scoring from the bezel on to the trackpad causing it to crack. The trackpad is, after all, glass, and you don't want glass to shatter. That's what you should be watching out for and trying to avoid. If you have the computer wedged into a bag between heavy or tightly packed objects and that kind of thing is leading to this problem, change how you're packing your computer.

ZipZap
Mar 25, 2011, 05:14 PM
Wait till your warranty is nearly up and get fixed.

Most of the concern is probably over having to explain/describe this when you go to resell your MBA (which you will do when the next gen air is released).

I know I plan to sell mine before my 1 year is up and buy next gen.

TheRealDamager
Mar 25, 2011, 05:16 PM
These little scuffs on the bezel are nothing ó not worth a minute of your time.

But I would be worried about what they imply, which is pressure or scoring from the bezel on to the trackpad causing it to crack. The trackpad is, after all, glass, and you don't want glass to shatter. That's what you should be watching out for and trying to avoid. If you have the computer wedged into a bag between heavy or tightly packed objects and that kind of thing is leading to this problem, change how you're packing your computer.

Big agreement with this post. I have to believe that some who are getting these marks (or the marks on the screen) are loading these up at the bottom of a stack of books in a backpack or bag - this is not what you want to be doing. And unless that mark gets MUCH bigger, I can't imagine it affecting resale value.

X2468
Mar 25, 2011, 06:59 PM
Doesn't everyone SLAM the lid down? Duh

drbf
Mar 26, 2011, 12:59 PM
I have had my MBA 13 for approx one month and no marks...............yet

T4R06
Apr 20, 2011, 08:51 AM
ill just give you an update guys.

monday i went to apple store and they advise me to replace the whole top. meaning the half of the MBA will be replaced. i went home with with my MBA.

tuesday @5pm i got a call from them saying the parts is with them and i can go there and give my work order. i just waited like 30mins.

overall, the experience is great!