PDA

View Full Version : Post your iMac G5 Set Up!

Balin64
Jan 30, 2005, 12:50 PM
Hi everyone:

Today as I got back to my G5 after taking a break from weekend work-enjoyable personal work- and I was again struck at how beatifully designed this machine is: elegant simplicity, groundbreaking, we've heard it all. So, post your iMac G5 set up in the most flattering angle, or your favorite, and post it here! We Mac users know that our computers are more than machines; I know I consider my two more than just tools; this may sound socially inept, but when I travel for work, my PowerBook is definitely a good travel friend and not just a laptop... Anyhowl! Post away! Here's my set up. I called my G5 "Wild Honey"... don't ask.

edesignuk
Jan 30, 2005, 01:34 PM
Why not, I love the new iMacs :D

http://upload.yo-momma.net/uploads/forums/iMacG5_Setup.jpg

Kwyjibo
Jan 30, 2005, 01:36 PM
a whole monitor dedicated to MacRumors, I can't say i'm surprised.

edesignuk
Jan 30, 2005, 01:38 PM
a whole monitor dedicated to MacRumors, I can't say i'm surprised.Oh yeah, of course I only EVER use that screen for MacRumors :rolleyes:

It's a whole monitor for surfing in general :p

Littleodie914
Jan 30, 2005, 01:58 PM
My pride and joy :)

Balin64
Jan 30, 2005, 06:46 PM
I assume that the LCD on the left is powered by your PBook, correct? Seeing your set up, the obvious dawned on me: is there way to get the iMac G5 to run dual monitors? I used a hack to make an older iBook display on two monitors; it was made available by two guys from Germany, if I recall correctly. Has anyone heard if that is possible on the iMac G5? Although... it looks so damn sexy on its own I don't know if I should mess with it...

tonyeck
Jan 30, 2005, 07:22 PM
I assume that the LCD on the left is powered by your PBook, correct? Seeing your set up, the obvious dawned on me: is there way to get the iMac G5 to run dual monitors? I used a hack to make an older iBook display on two monitors; it was made available by two guys from Germany, if I recall correctly. Has anyone heard if that is possible on the iMac G5? Although... it looks so damn sexy on its own I don't know if I should mess with it...

Yeah thats how edesign is doing it with the hack :)

I heard there is also and applescript which does the same :)

Balin64
Jan 30, 2005, 11:34 PM
Yeah thats how edesign is doing it with the hack :)

I heard there is also and applescript which does the same :)

Really: edesign, is this true? Where can I find the crack, it's been a while. Is there a big performance hit on the graphics card when doing this? I can acquire an inexpensive 17" LCD from a friend that is very close in size/bezel to the iMac (except for the bottom part). I will try to paint it white to match, then again... maybe I should leave it alone... What do you guys think?

Also, edesign: I am assuming you are still in London. If you are ever on Great Newport Street off Leicester Square, and the Arts Theatre is lit, stop by and tell the house/bar staff that Hector says hi. Then walk out as fast as you came in! I miss my "mates" at the Arts Theatre...

EDIT: edesign: for some reason I thought you were in London: my apologies. But, if you are in London soon, stop by the Arts anyway: I Stage Managed a show there for four months two years ago, and it was brilliant!

edesignuk
Jan 31, 2005, 08:51 AM
Really: edesign, is this true? Where can I find the crack, it's been a while. Is there a big performance hit on the graphics card when doing this? I can acquire an inexpensive 17" LCD from a friend that is very close in size/bezel to the iMac (except for the bottom part). I will try to paint it white to match, then again... maybe I should leave it alone... What do you guys think?I am using the hack (http://macparts.de/ibook) to run the Dell 20" off the iMac, works a treat, no problems with lag.

mrgreen4242
Jan 31, 2005, 10:03 AM
eDesign: Have you tried running some intensive 3d game on one monitor while having the other opened to the desktop? I'm really curious to see if there is a framerate drop while spanning vs. single display.

Seeing that makes me wish I could afford a 20" iMac... as it is I am stretching to get the 1.8ghz 17" this coming month (and that's only by going the refurb route). Seeing Balin's setup makes me wish I could afford to get a new BTO model with the bluetooth keyboard/mouse, too. Ah well, gotta be happy with what we've got and all that. :)

In a couple weeks I'll add mine to the thread, a 17" w/ a 19" CRT dangling off the side. :p

Is there any conclusive word about warranties and the screen spanning hack yet? Anyone send theirs into Apple and had it turned down due to the hack, etc?

Rob

edesignuk
Jan 31, 2005, 10:17 AM
Is there any conclusive word about warranties and the screen spanning hack yet? Anyone send theirs into Apple and had it turned down due to the hack, etc?

Rob
I sent a midplane (which includes the video card, and prety much everything) back to Apple with the hack applied, they never said a word.

mrgreen4242
Jan 31, 2005, 10:26 AM
I sent a midplane (which includes the video card, and prety much everything) back to Apple with the hack applied, they never said a word.

Good to know! I assumed that would be the case, as it's just a small firmware change, but you never know. So, any chance you could fire up UT2k4 or something w/ and without the hack active and measure framerates? ;)

Also, in response to Balin64, I'm not sure if I would paint a monitor to try and match it with my Mac, but that shouldn't stop you from doing it! It may come out nice, depending what kind of paint you use, how careful you are, etc. I'd be scared about getting some paint on the actual LCD.

Rob

edesignuk
Jan 31, 2005, 10:37 AM
So, any chance you could fire up UT2k4 or something w/ and without the hack active and measure framerates? ;)
Honestly, I don't have any games, if I did I wouldn't have bought an iMac G5 with it's P.O.S nVidia 5200 :eek:

stevietheb
Jan 31, 2005, 12:03 PM
Here's my iMac G5. My wife and I don't like the height of the keyboard/mouse drawer in the desk, so we use that for all of our USB and FireWire devices (cameras, iPod, external HD, and soon--EyeTV).

LOVE IT!

mrgreen4242
Jan 31, 2005, 12:23 PM
Honestly, I don't have any games, if I did I wouldn't have bought an iMac G5 with it's P.O.S nVidia 5200 :eek:

Haha. People give it a bad rap, but for casual/occasional gaming it really isn't that bad! For example, Halo and UT2k4, two pretty intensive and modern games at decent quality and high res above 30fps. People report good playability for WoW on iMacs, undoubtabley one of the most important Mac games ever.

All in all, it's not THAT bad, especially for someone like me who waits for games to hit the $20-25 dollar bargin bin beofre buying them, so games that are 2 years old are new to me. :p

I will have to perform intensive study on how much raw performance the screen spanning hack takes away from the iMacs GPU next month when my new computer arrives. :)

Rob

jayscheuerle
Jan 31, 2005, 12:29 PM
Is there a big performance hit on the graphics card when doing this?

I use the hack (Screen Spanning Doctor) on my 12" iBook to power my HDTV. It splits the VRAM, so I'm down to 16MB per screen, which kills all the slide transitions in iPhoto4 (they work in 5 now), OpenGL screensavers barely work, no cube effect in Fast User Switching. I don't have any games. Full screen video plays back fine. I don't use the iBook's screen, so I have it set to the minimal resolution and colors and then dimmed to black. - j

stevietheb
Jan 31, 2005, 12:38 PM
I like WoW on the iMac G5...

mrgreen4242
Jan 31, 2005, 12:50 PM
I use the hack (Screen Spanning Doctor) on my 12" iBook to power my HDTV. It splits the VRAM, so I'm down to 16MB per screen, which kills all the slide transitions in iPhoto4 (they work in 5 now), OpenGL screensavers barely work, no cube effect in Fast User Switching. I don't have any games. Full screen video plays back fine. I don't use the iBook's screen, so I have it set to the minimal resolution and colors and then dimmed to black. - j

Interesting. Just out of curiosity, where did you learn that it splits the VRAM? Also, do you have to reboot the system in order to "reclaim" the VRAM, or can you just change an option back to mirroring and have it all merge together again?

Thanks for the reply,
Rob

edesignuk
Jan 31, 2005, 01:00 PM
Interesting. Just out of curiosity, where did you learn that it splits the VRAM? Also, do you have to reboot the system in order to "reclaim" the VRAM, or can you just change an option back to mirroring and have it all merge together again?

Thanks for the reply,
Rob
If you have two screen, your VRAM splits, that's just how it is, and really as you'd expect.

http://upload.yo-momma.net/uploads/forums/dual_video.jpg

As you can see, I have a 64MB card, powering two screens, 32MB per screen.

You do not have to reboot to get all memory back to one disply if you disconnect your secondary.

debroglie
Jan 31, 2005, 01:02 PM

If you only use the one screen can't you just mirror your ibook screen? Or isn't that a useable resolution for your HDTV?

mrgreen4242
Jan 31, 2005, 01:04 PM
If you have two screen, your VRAM splits, that's just how it is, and really as you'd expect.

You do not have to reboot to get all memory back to one disply if you disconnect your secondary.

Very good, thanks for that detailed info! I actually WOULDN'T expect it to deal with multiple displays that way. Seems like it would have been more elegant to treat the two as a single, very widescreen display.

I guess that would force you to lock in at a single (vertical at least) resolution for both displays, so doing it the other way is probably more robust. Good to knwo that you can just disconnect the extra display and get all of the VRAM back into a single pool, if you need it.

Again, really appreciate you taking the time to post that screenshot and answer my questions!

Rob

jayscheuerle
Jan 31, 2005, 01:53 PM
If you only use the one screen can't you just mirror your ibook screen? Or isn't that a useable resolution for your HDTV?

Not only the wrong native resolution, but not even the same aspect ratio. iBook is 1024 x 768. The tv is 1280 x 720. If I could force a 1280 x 720 on the iBook (I realize it would be distorted and illegible), then I could do the mirror thing and get back my unused 16MB.

vouder17
Jan 31, 2005, 02:51 PM
My Better half

Balin64
Jan 31, 2005, 05:10 PM
Good to know! I assumed that would be the case, as it's just a small firmware change, but you never know. So, any chance you could fire up UT2k4 or something w/ and without the hack active and measure framerates? ;)

Also, in response to Balin64, I'm not sure if I would paint a monitor to try and match it with my Mac, but that shouldn't stop you from doing it! It may come out nice, depending what kind of paint you use, how careful you are, etc. I'd be scared about getting some paint on the actual LCD.

Rob

I have a friend that a runs a scene shop at a rep theatre: she has all kinds of wonderful and toxic paints that have amazing finishes... as far as actual painting, I think I would have to cover the LCD very carefully, of course. I'm still trying to figure that one out. I think I will try the hack first, and see if it's worth it.

Balin64
Jan 31, 2005, 05:14 PM
eDesign: Have you tried running some intensive 3d game on one monitor while having the other opened to the desktop? I'm really curious to see if there is a framerate drop while spanning vs. single display.

Seeing that makes me wish I could afford a 20" iMac... as it is I am stretching to get the 1.8ghz 17" this coming month (and that's only by going the refurb route). Seeing Balin's setup makes me wish I could afford to get a new BTO model with the bluetooth keyboard/mouse, too. Ah well, gotta be happy with what we've got and all that. :)

In a couple weeks I'll add mine to the thread, a 17" w/ a 19" CRT dangling off the side. :p

Rob

You can always add it later, or use the DLink USB adapter, which actually works extremely well. I have used that in the past with absolutely no problems. Of course, you lose a USB port, but I find that having a hub is almost a necessity anyway. Just a thought.

patrick0brien
Jan 31, 2005, 06:57 PM
-All

Here's mine. 17" w/Superdrive and Bluetooth +2GB RAM. Bolted directly to the rack via the VESA mount.

JDar
Feb 1, 2005, 06:34 PM
If anyone else appreciates this--oh, how depraved we are.

Rob587
Feb 1, 2005, 08:17 PM
If I have a 15" pb can I plug it into an external moniter(apple 20" cinema) and close the lid of my pb and just view it on the external without losing any of my Radeaon 9700 128mb?

Daveway
Feb 1, 2005, 08:52 PM
Sorry about the image quality. iPhoto 5 is screwy and I need a new camera.

Rob587
Feb 1, 2005, 09:47 PM
If I have a 15" pb can I plug it into an external moniter(apple 20" cinema) and close the lid of my pb and just view it on the external without losing any of my Radeaon 9700 128mb?

Balin64
Feb 1, 2005, 10:49 PM
I have a 1Ghz 12" PBook and I am able to do this. The machine will function normally, but: beware: if you are running processor-intensive tasks the fans will come on at Hoover levels to try to keep it cool; at least, that's my experience with mine.

More on topic: Keep posting those iMac G5 set ups! There has to be more out there!

jayscheuerle
Feb 2, 2005, 08:02 AM

You'll split the 128MB between the two displays, regardless if one is asleep or off, mirrored or extended, from what I understand.

Rob587
Feb 2, 2005, 06:06 PM
omg, so which is it?

p.s. post ur imacs

Phat_Pat
Feb 2, 2005, 06:18 PM
These imacs really do look nice :cool:

skubish
Feb 2, 2005, 07:13 PM

I would think that it is not splitting the memory. It should only split when you are running 2 displays independantly. If you are just outputting to an ext. monitor the full 128MB should be in use. It is just as if you split the video signal.

Fredstar
Feb 2, 2005, 07:19 PM
I still come back from college and just admire my imac, it is such a work of art and just contemplating the engineering that went into it. Just incredible, you really do get the effect though when you come back from a weekend away or a holiday.
Anyways here's mine

oldpismo
Feb 3, 2005, 04:06 AM
You'll have to wait for my setup photos, I just ordered the wall mounted arm for the iMac yesterday, expecting it sometime next week. I will post photos when it arrives.

Peter

doofy
Feb 3, 2005, 01:41 PM
http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~borsb/barry/PB160016.JPG

jayscheuerle
Feb 3, 2005, 03:14 PM
Damn, look at the size of that fan... I didn't think those things ran THAT hot.. :D

Vader
Feb 3, 2005, 07:44 PM
Cool, the Matrix.

iGary
Feb 4, 2005, 05:57 PM
My 1.8 iMac at my offices:

http://homepage.mac.com/garybooberry/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/2005-04-11%2015.34.02%20-0700/Image-C06A273AAAD911D9.jpg

Daveway
Feb 4, 2005, 06:14 PM
These are some awesome setups. Reminds me how much I need a new desk :eek:

djbahdow01
Feb 4, 2005, 08:50 PM
My 1.8 iMac at my offices:

http://homepage.mac.com/garybooberry/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/2005-02-04%2015.55.06%20-0800/Image-2575AD1E770811D9.jpg

So whats smartwater and how is it any better than regular water??

Or is it a new speaker system as i notice you have 2 smartwater satellites around your computer. LOL. :)

dotdotdot
Feb 4, 2005, 09:23 PM

Or is it a new speaker system as i notice you have 2 smartwater satellites around your computer. LOL. :)

Smart Water is water that is smart so it knows when you want some, in which case it moves towards your computer and removes its cap!

theimacguy
Feb 4, 2005, 11:06 PM

I did a google search for smart water. this popped up. scary :eek:

http://www.smartwater.com/

iGary
Feb 5, 2005, 07:08 AM

LOL

It's vapor distilled water with a few electrolytes added. I'm kind of fanatical about my water...somepeople spend their money on smokes or wine, for me it's water. :eek:

Steve seems to agree:

http://membres.lycos.fr/akamei/steve-jobs.jpg

djbahdow01
Feb 5, 2005, 09:18 AM
LOL

It's vapor distilled water with a few electrolytes added. I'm kind of fanatical about my water...somepeople spend their money on smokes or wine, for me it's water. :eek:

Ahh ok, just figured id ask, Nothing wrong with buying water instead of smokes or wine. I buy water just the cheapest stuff i can buy. As a student I had to pick what was more important. Mac or other stuff, as you can see by my sig you know what i picked.

iGary
Feb 5, 2005, 12:00 PM
Well you can see in my sig, that I too, pick Apple and Smartwater before a lot of things, too. :p

Daveway
Feb 7, 2005, 01:48 PM
This is a picture of my aunt's new setup. She recently switched. This is a 17" 1.8ghz.
http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20737&stc=1
http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20738&stc=1

dornoforpyros
Feb 7, 2005, 02:16 PM
ahh yes I believe smart water falls into the same category as red bull. Yeah it's expensive and over priced and yeah ther are cheaper alternatives that could do the same. But it's just soo damn chique drinking it :p

*looks over at red bull tower on the desk*

asif786
Feb 7, 2005, 05:36 PM
ahh yes I believe smart water falls into the same category as red bull. Yeah it's expensive and over priced and yeah ther are cheaper alternatives that could do the same. But it's just soo damn chique drinking it :p

*looks over at red bull tower on the desk*

Hehe, I'm a fellow smartwater drinker :D

Always keep two 'backup' bottles on my desk in case I run out (plus the bottles are so damned cool heh).

Still, smartwater is an expensive habit. Costs me around 25 (~$50) week! :eek:

sjpetry
Feb 7, 2005, 06:18 PM
It's a 17" 1.6GHz. With Dual 17"s! :D

iMac ( http://homepage.mac.com/sjpetry/PhotoAlbum6.html)

Daveway
Feb 7, 2005, 06:40 PM

Let the beautiful imac be by itself and hook up the emachine monitor to a mini. :p

sjpetry
Feb 7, 2005, 08:32 PM
Let the beautiful imac be by itself and hook up the emachine monitor to a mini. :p

Maybe......... :p

yg17
Feb 7, 2005, 09:36 PM
I wish I had an iMac G5 to post. oh wait, no I dont. I've got more processors than you :p :D

just commenting on the fact that few people here seem to be taking advantage of the fact with the iMac G5, bluetooth and airport, you have the possibility of only having a single wire on your desk. Jeez, if I had that opportunity, I'd jump on it.

Reeves
Feb 14, 2005, 11:24 AM
Hey Balin64 where did you get your desktop background? It's pretty cool.

Balin64
Feb 14, 2005, 12:37 PM
I can't remember the site, but I know it was free. I tried to attach it but it is too big...

Reeves
Feb 14, 2005, 01:25 PM
I can't remember the site, but I know it was free. I tried to attach it but it is too big...

Alright, thanks anyway.

slu
Feb 27, 2005, 02:54 PM
I put this in one of the other setup threads.

ToddW
Feb 27, 2005, 03:17 PM

That is a killer desk, where did you get that

Balin64
Mar 20, 2005, 03:30 AM
Alright, thanks anyway.

Here you go:http://home.att.net/~s.a.chitwood/desktop-gallery_01.html

MacBacon
Mar 21, 2005, 12:51 AM
http://img196.exs.cx/img196/1131/img42580dl.th.jpg (http://img196.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img196&image=img42580dl.jpg)

swy32x
Apr 22, 2005, 01:54 AM
I'm kinda excited about getting my Rev B iMac ... can I get a bump?

swy32x
May 23, 2005, 03:40 AM
Ok, I forgot about this thread.

With all the Rev B iMacs, can we get a revival!

This is mine from a few days ago, first hour in I took pics of it! I will, no doubt, take more later on!

Balin64
May 23, 2005, 04:31 AM
Nice imac set up and very cool blue on that wall!

My iMac is the same, so no need to repost!

wnameth
May 23, 2005, 11:27 AM
http://img196.exs.cx/img196/1131/img42580dl.th.jpg (http://img196.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img196&image=img42580dl.jpg)

this is my dream setup, you are a very fortunate person

Supa_Fly
May 24, 2005, 10:59 PM
Indeed I love that desk, simplistic, artistic, yet powerful along with the iMac G5. It was this photo that made me consider the iMac G5 RevB (128MB Vid mem) for my upcoming 1st Mac. Its that or a demo of the Dual 1.8Ghz PowerMac G5.

MacBacon where did you get that desk?

Phatpat
Jun 3, 2005, 08:26 PM
Here's mine. Not the most elegant. Sorry about the mess, it's the last week of school.

swy32x
Jun 10, 2005, 08:17 AM
Aww, come on! There are so many new iMac G5 Revision B owners out there ... get posting!

Fill up this thread!

N10248
Jun 10, 2005, 08:49 AM
Aww, come on! There are so many new iMac G5 Revision B owners out there ... get posting!

Fill up this thread!

Heres my revB 20" (posted this in another thread also).....

http://1stforcrafts.com/WebObjects/N10248/imac01.jpg
BIGGER!!! (http://1stforcrafts.com/WebObjects/N10248/imacbig01.jpg)

http://1stforcrafts.com/WebObjects/N10248/imac02.jpg
BIGGER!!! (http://1stforcrafts.com/WebObjects/N10248/imacbig02.jpg)

http://1stforcrafts.com/WebObjects/N10248/imac03.jpg
BIGGER!!! (http://1stforcrafts.com/WebObjects/N10248/imacbig03.jpg)

bye

Platform
Jun 10, 2005, 09:03 AM

bye

I have said it before...but looks real nice :rolleyes: :D :D

swy32x
Jun 10, 2005, 09:14 AM

bye
That is nice! And scroll a few posts up, same colour walls as me :D

The_Man
Jun 11, 2005, 12:36 AM
I still like iGary's set-up in the iBook gallery

Calihafan
Jun 11, 2005, 11:57 AM
I'ma have an iMac Monday, I'll post my pics.

Calih

Devie
Jun 12, 2005, 11:54 PM
Another piccie of mine (I got another one in the Past and Present mac setup thread)

Phat_Pat
Jun 13, 2005, 01:04 AM
Another piccie of mine (I got another one in the Past and Present mac setup thread)
Don't you jsut hate the word trial

Don't even let you print....

Chip NoVaMac
Jun 20, 2005, 05:38 PM
Why not, I love the new iMacs :D

http://upload.yo-momma.net/uploads/forums/iMacG5_Setup.jpg

Can you give me the width that both of these monitors take up on your desktop, angled as they are? I have the FP2001 and might do an iMac and span it. But need to make sure it will fit the desk space I have.

oldpismo
Jun 21, 2005, 01:00 PM
Here finally are the photos of my setup, with the iMac on the wall on an arm.

Peter

http://www.thealldays.co.uk/images/IMG_4761.jpg
http://www.thealldays.co.uk/images/IMG_4762.jpg
http://www.thealldays.co.uk/images/IMG_4763.jpg

Supa_Fly
Jun 21, 2005, 05:42 PM
@oldpismo,

Very nice arm there! Wonder how your gonna make any extra peripherals work when connected to the ports on the back. Guess your setup is the new Remington Steele - in a practical way.

ghostee
Jun 21, 2005, 06:26 PM

Peter

Very nice! Is it comfortable to work with the display that high up and the KB/mouse to the side?

oldpismo
Jun 22, 2005, 01:56 AM
Most of the time I don't have any extra peripherals plugged in, but when I do I tend to place them on the table below it (camera/video camera etc)

The display can be raised and lowered on the arm, and when sitting on the couch I tend to have the mouse sitting beside me with the keyboard on my knee. At that point the screen is hovering at about head height in front of my face.

Obviously without the wireless mouse/keyboard/network the whole thing wouldn't be practical, but as it is I can use it as a large photo frame when not needed for anything else, and then swing it round and down for use.

Peter

Platform
Jun 22, 2005, 04:27 AM

Peter

http://www.thealldays.co.uk/images/IMG_4761.jpg
http://www.thealldays.co.uk/images/IMG_4762.jpg
http://www.thealldays.co.uk/images/IMG_4763.jpg

WOW.......... :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :D :D

Sweet sep-up....but what kind of an arm is that...it is on the VESA mount right :confused:

swy32x
Jun 22, 2005, 06:51 AM
Like where I put my sticker? ;)

aussie_geek
Jun 29, 2005, 08:39 PM

Adds a nice touch to your room - a personalised chair from Apple. Well done!!

aussie_geek

JupiterTwo
Jul 4, 2005, 07:09 AM
just got my shiny new iMac on Friday - thought I'd bump this thread to show it to the world :p

I haven't tried to span the to the CRT monitor yet - want to make sure everything's ok with the iMac before I start tinkering :)

iMetalG5
Jul 5, 2005, 11:37 AM

heh, cool i did the exact same thing on my black chair i got from IKEA and everytime someone sees it "Wow, Apple makes furniture now?"

i'll try to get a pic up...

cleanup
Jul 11, 2005, 03:49 PM
oldpismo check your PMs! :)

oldpismo
Jul 12, 2005, 01:51 AM
WOW.......... :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :D :D

Sweet sep-up....but what kind of an arm is that...it is on the VESA mount right :confused:

It's a viewmaster arm. It is on the VESA mount correctly, at least as correctly as it can be. Despite the arm's specs saying that it can cope with the iMac's weight, and the distributor saying that they had sold several to people with iMac monitors :confused: When I finally got it set up and attached the screen just drooped and pointed to the floor. In the end I had to manufacture my own customised wooden block (as seen in the rear view) to avoid the droop. It doesn't bother me, as it is on the side that I'm never looking at.

Peter

Deefuzz
Jul 15, 2005, 04:31 PM
quick and dirty...ill take a better one another time :p

http://www.deefuzz.com/images/imac_setup.jpg

Supa_Fly
Jul 15, 2005, 09:54 PM
quick and dirty...ill take a better one another time :p

http://www.deefuzz.com/images/imac_setup.jpg

Quick = the iMac G5, the Dirty = the PC on the right being formated. Or is that a standard XP blue screen of death with error reporting??

Nice setup.

iHacker
Jul 17, 2005, 02:10 PM
Here's mine i am very happy with it!

Platform
Jul 18, 2005, 03:18 AM
Here's mine i am very happy with it!

Good to hear that you are happy with it..........but is it comfortable with the screen so high :confused:

iHacker
Jul 18, 2005, 08:10 AM
Good to hear that you are happy with it..........but is it comfortable with the screen so high :confused:
I feel good with it i onlt put like stuf that im not using really up their.

AlmightyG5
Jul 18, 2005, 01:57 PM
Just got it two days ago...not the best taken picture :o http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/754/room9ym.jpg

xli_ne
Jul 18, 2005, 02:14 PM
Just got it two days ago...not the best taken picture :o http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/754/room9ym.jpg

is that a sticker on the chair or is that engraved on there?

iHacker
Jul 18, 2005, 02:36 PM

Sweet desk. I havent ever seen anything like that. :cool:

AlmightyG5
Jul 18, 2005, 03:06 PM
is that a sticker on the chair or is that engraved on there?

Its just a sticker...couldn't find anywhere else to put it. Some other people in this thread have their sticker on their chair too.

AlmightyG5
Jul 18, 2005, 03:08 PM
Sweet desk. I havent ever seen anything like that. :cool:

Thanks i got it for $30. I got these modern pull knobs, because the old ones were ugly gothic ones, :p

iHacker
Jul 18, 2005, 03:23 PM
and very cool psp bckgound! I like that alot...

AlmightyG5
Jul 18, 2005, 03:27 PM
and very cool psp bckgound! I like that alot...

Thank you...It look extremely better up close.I should take a better picture for you guys.

AlmightyG5
Jul 18, 2005, 03:37 PM
Here's the Wallpaper i have on my PSP and iMac:http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/2750/gppower1920x12009ko.jpg

joshwest
Aug 17, 2005, 02:59 PM
seems like everyone went crazy on the 17", why isnt anyone getting the 20's?

Chip NoVaMac
Aug 17, 2005, 07:58 PM
seems like everyone went crazy on the 17", why isnt anyone getting the 20's?

I was tempted by the 17" at first. But at the last minute I decided to do the 20", and could not be happier. I have the Dell FP2001 with the spanning hack connected and it is a great setup.

w_parietti22
Aug 17, 2005, 08:25 PM

Thats odd... I just unpluged my iBook from my display and this iis what comes up:

ATY,RV280M9+:

Type: display
Bus: AGP
VRAM (Total): 32 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x5c63
Revision ID: 0x0001
ROM Revision: 113-xxxxx-115

Display:

Type: display
Display Type: LCD
VRAM (In Use): 32 MB
Resolution: 1024 x 768
Depth: 32-bit Color
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes

ATY,Via_B:

No restart required for me. Also, I thought on the game that you play you can chose which display to not power and which one to power... On Sim City 4 it just makes the display black. If you have a laptop you can also run it under clamshell mode too. which helps a lot.

joshwest
Aug 18, 2005, 12:30 AM
my 20" is on the way any idea how much apple store charges to upgrade a gig of ram?

jaysmith
Aug 18, 2005, 06:10 AM
my 20" is on the way any idea how much apple store charges to upgrade a gig of ram?
dont bother with apple's ram, for around the same price you can just buy a 1 gig third party card and add that to the stock 512.

w_parietti22
Aug 18, 2005, 06:46 PM

Dont go to Apple!! I highly recomend Crucial.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=Apple%2BiMac&mfr=Apple&tabid=CR&model=iMac+%28G5-2.0GHz%2C+20-inch%29&submit=Go

or:

http://www.crucial.com/store/MPartspecs.Asp?mtbpoid=BB77A196A5CA7304&WSMD=iMac+%28G5%2D2%2E0GHz%2C+20%2Dinch%29&WSPN=CT440123

This Apple's memory site for the iMac:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/70203/wo/EA1O49v4yIIT3R2K73jHXV9pcsU/1.3.0.6.9.0.5.0.1.1.5.0.3

($300 for 1gb :rolleyes: )

w_parietti22
Aug 18, 2005, 06:47 PM
Dont go to Apple!!

oops... that didnt come out right. lol. Go Apple. just buy 3rd party memory. :)

joshwest
Aug 18, 2005, 09:22 PM
is it really difficult to install the gig?, or should i go through apple reatiler for a install? just had my 20" iMac G5 come in, do you know what the latest imac g5's rev is?

mad jew
Aug 18, 2005, 10:25 PM
It's easy. Here are Apple's own instructions (http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/imacG5_20inch_memory.pdf) for the latest 20 inch iMac which we call a Rev. B (and it's the same method for the older G5 iMacs too AFAIK). :)

w_parietti22
Aug 19, 2005, 11:50 PM
is it really difficult to install the gig?, or should i go through apple reatiler for a install? just had my 20" iMac G5 come in, do you know what the latest imac g5's rev is?

Nope... its pretty easy to dp it on all Macs... just look it up in the manual. iMac is rev. b

Chip NoVaMac
Aug 20, 2005, 02:01 AM

Not at all! Just got 2x1gb sticks from CompUSA (couldn't resist, they had Centron memory listed at $140 AFTER rebate, but the sign they had up did not state after rebate - so I talked with the manager and got it at the $140 price, plus I was in DE - so no tax!). I was impressed at the ease of getting inside the iMac. No loose screws! On my 20" 2.0ghz iMac the one side of the memory latches was a little "tight" for space (no problem, but the latches did not have the movement that most of us are used too). Very easy install.

gr4y5ku11
Aug 21, 2005, 02:32 PM
Here is my current setup!

Chip NoVaMac
Aug 21, 2005, 03:03 PM
Here is my current setup!

Great setup. My ex and I had a similar desk. Wish I could have made it work in my new place. I had to take the "smaller" desk instead. I miss the work space. But I am a bit neater now. :)

dannyallen34
Oct 29, 2005, 01:56 PM
With the Rev. C release, let's see those pics.

Chip NoVaMac
Oct 29, 2005, 06:48 PM
It's easy. Here are Apple's own instructions (http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/imacG5_20inch_memory.pdf) for the latest 20 inch iMac which we call a Rev. B (and it's the same method for the older G5 iMacs too AFAIK). :)

The iMac G5 blew me a way with how easy it was to open it up and up the memory.

OCW is a great source for Mac memory and they don't play browser games with pricing.

joshwest
Oct 29, 2005, 10:56 PM
messy but my setup